7

Carpet Advice

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 11:23 am
The carpet in our home is the original builders' grade stuff installed twelve years ago and we are thinking of upgrading. We have carpet in all the bedrooms, the stairway and the family room. I'm completely ignorant on carpet types and uses so I thought some of you could help me get started. What do you recommend for high traffic areas and bedrooms?

3  
Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 01:11 pm
@engineer,
I know nothing of types, but here's an old bachelor tip. Anything that's varigated or multicolored will show dirt and soiled areas less than a solid color, regardless of color.

Since that's not what you asked, consider this a bump.

Butrflynet

1  
Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 01:24 pm
@engineer,
Some info to get you started:

This Old House: Wall-to-Wall Carpet Buying Guide - A store-to-floor guide for adding or replacing this versatile floor covering

This Old House: What's New in Wall-to-Wall Carpet -
New designs and advances in fiber technology make carpet worth a fresh look.

Checked the Consumer Reports site to see if they have anything. They don't. Sad
engineer

1  
Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 01:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thanks. I'm doing my online research as well. I've never heard of it before, but frieze carpet seems to get good marks for wear and stain resistance. I think the family rooms needs the heavy duty, stain resistant stuff. The stairs need the ultra heavy duty and the bedrooms can get away with something more plush.
Butrflynet

1  
Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 01:59 pm
@engineer,
You might also consider carpet tiles. BBB has them in the bedrooms and regular tile out in the main traffic areas.

The carpet tiles have saved a lot of money. When an area gets too badly worn or stained by the dogs, we just replace a tile rather than the whole carpet, and it is something we can do ourselves as needed with the spare tiles.

ossobuco

1  
Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 02:07 pm
@engineer,
I rented an apartment, such an apartment, good place long gone, scraped for condominiums. It was in Westwood, cool area somewhat, south but not all so far south, of ucla. I lived there six years and they never raised the rent, such a good tenant, heh. Trustworthy, like a girl scout.

That apartment had some vile multicolored short carpetting. I threw rugs over that, and that's how I got interested in rugs at all.

Engineer - we seem to have different views re carpet. I figure this is geographic..
engineer

1  
Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 05:56 am
@ossobuco,
We started the massive carpet replacement yesterday. The entire house is a mess with all the furniture moved around. Our dining room table is full of books as is the kitchen counter. There are electronics in the tubs and toys under the tables. We started yesterday, should be done by today. Very impressed with Lowes. They contract out the installation, but they sent someone over yesterday to observe the installers and asked if we were satisfied so far.
ossobuco

1  
Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 06:59 am
@engineer,
That's funny and sort of wonderful, and you know it will pass. A photo of a computer in the tub might make a good memory.
Good to hear, re Lowe's.

thetempo

1  
Reply Mon 29 Jul, 2013 01:44 am
@engineer,
Linoleum is a good choice it's green floor material and have many style, colour to choose.

WilliamDuncan

1  
Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2014 05:27 am
I think you have to purchase a carpet which is compatible with a little dust and easy in wash. You can keep it clean by vacuuming it daily.