Social Security - which party did what? What's the truth?

jespah

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 05:00 pm
Okay, hang on, gonna do the split.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 05:06 pm
This topic was split from: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2044

My apologies if some posts are a little incoherent in context; that's the nature of splitting threads.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 05:17 pm
I know nearly everyone on this site realizes that politicians are prone to obsfucation on both sides and that Social Security has been tweaked and manipulated to suit the times. The taxing of Social Security is on those making enough off other investments or continuing to work and collect. I don't see that as unfair -- better check the new laws going into effect changing a lot of that in the next few years. These were passed in the last years of the Clinton Administration. I haven't time to provide a link right now as I have to unfortunately brave the storm and go out on a appointment! We're getting pummeled with a good one. Glad the meeting is at the Claim Jumper restaurant not far from here (across the street from Knott's Berry Farm). See ya all.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 05:26 pm
LW, In the replies I was having with fishin' I got to diagrahming what we were saying to each other like a sentence in English class and realized exactly what you wrote about obfuscation. I am wondering if this is 'Political Science'. This is what they train to do in advanced Poly Sci. Makes one think - and of course, this is the stuff we dislike the most; ie, all Politicians lie!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 05:34 pm
Geesh jespah, I knew I had a split personality, but this? Wink c.i.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2002 07:16 pm
No individual has to be a US citizen to get SSA payments. If any person admitted with and is authorized to work and pays FICA, which is a tax collected by the IRS and Treasury and administered by the SSA, is entitled at retirement age to obtain a retirement check (RSI) or a SSA disability benefit (DI). Any Individual that is law fully admitted the US, has been her for over 18 months and is disabled, blind, or over age 65 is eligible for SSI. In addition SSA has many agreements with countries outside of the US such as Germany, France, Spain, Mexico, etc., and often individuals who have worked lawfully within the US and have also contribute to the retirement system in another country receive combined benefits drawn on all the systems the individual paid into.

SSA Title I - Established the SSA

SSA Title II - The Old-Age, Survivors, and Disability Insurance (OASDI) program in the United States provides protection against the loss of earnings as the result of retirement, death, or disability. The OASDI program consists of two separate parts that pay monthly benefits to workers and their families--Old-Age and Survivors Insurance (OASI) and Disability Insurance (DI). Under OASI, monthly benefits are paid to retired workers and their families and to survivors of deceased workers.

SSA Title XVIII - Medicare/HCFA no longer part of SSA.

Title XVI - Disability The Social Security Administration pays disability benefits under two programs: the Social Security Disability Insurance (DI) program and the Supplemental Security

Another program administered by SSA is the Supplemental Security Income, or SSI, program. The program is funded by general tax revenue. Unlike Social Security, there is no trust fund for SSI. The Office of the Chief Actuary estimates the future cost of the SSI program and the financial impact of proposals to change it.

Title XX - SSI, the SSI program is a nationwide federal assistance program administered by the Social Security Administration that guarantees a minimum level of income for needy aged, blind, or disabled individuals. The medical requirements for disability payments are the same under both programs, and a person's disability is determined by the same process. While eligibility for Social Security disability is based on prior work under Social Security, SSI disability payments are made on the basis of financial need. SSI also pays benefits to needy children under age 18, based on a definition of disability appropriate to children. There are other differences in the eligibility rules for the two programs.

In my opinion Social security benefits will never stop each month over 40 million dollars is sent out to people who for the most part spend every cent of their checks. The economy could not handle a loss of this flow of money.

Generally people draw out over 100% of their contribution through federal payroll deductions within the first five years of retirement. After that the monthly check is money derived from working contributors. Up until the 1981 amendments, signed my Jimmy Carter income was taxed at only about 4% for the first $25,000 earned after that no FICA was deducted. In addition Jimmy Carter signed Title VII of the Civil Service Reform Act which brought federal workers into the SSA program and in 1981 Ronald Reagan started taxing federal workers for Medicare. Traditionally laws increasing FICA tax or reducing entitlement are made during the odd years as the president and the House do not have to stand re-election expect in even years.

SSA administers the law and issues regulations. However, the administrative interpretation of the law is not always correct and sometimes in conflict with Congressional intent. Any denied claim for SSA benefits can be appealed.
0 Replies

loosecannon64

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 01:49 pm
NO NO NO!!!

It was the REPUBLICANS that allowed illegal aliens to collect Social Security.

This site deals with the changes that NIXON made.

http://www.ssa.gov/history/1972amend.html

It was the REPUBLICANS that first started taxing SS.

This one was made in 1983, (pre Clinton) If memory serves me correctly, the President at that time, was that senile old geezer Ronald Reagan!!!

http://www.ssa.gov/history/1983amend2.html

The REPUBLICANS are the ones who made those changes. The TRUTH is that REPUBLICANS are the TAX & SPEND party. The DEMOCTATES are fiscally responsible.

REAGAN = DEFICIT,
BUSH SR. = DEFICIT
BUSH JR. = DEFICIT

CLINTON = SURPLUS

Clinton on the other hand brought about WELFARE REFORM and made it more difficult for people to falsely collect Social Security.

The web address for Social Security is as follows: http://www.ssa.gov/

You can find all of the necessary info at this site.

Thanx for playing c.i., so sorry you're WRONG!!!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 02:54 pm
loosecannon, Welcome to A2K. If I made wrong statements, my apologies. Thx for playing.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 02:56 pm
my post dated December 15, 2002: "ehBeth, Precisely! I'm asking for help on this one. I just received it from a friend in my email box today, and I have no way to determine whether the statements are true or not. A2K'rs are a knowledgeable bunch, and I'm sure somebody has the right answer. c.i."
0 Replies