Vocabulary 'improbably'

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 07:25 am
Hi English teacher,do I use 'improbably' appropriately?Many thanks in advance.Improbably,the goods may not reach your place in a week's time,If so,please contact me.

View best answer, chosen by Loh Jane
Frank Apisa
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 07:57 am
@Loh Jane,
It doesn't sound right to my ear...and the part of the communication using it would sound better without it.

Just use: "The goods may not reach your place in a week's time."

"If so" in the next sentence should probably be "If they do not arrive in that time..."...but I wonder what you are saying in that part of your message. If it does not get there in time...and he/she does "contact you"...what are you going to do other than say, "well, maybe it will get there tomorrow or the next day."
Loh Jane

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 08:18 am
@Frank Apisa,
Hi Frank,
thank you for your correction.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 11:57 am
I often have to convey such ideas in my work, and I say things like "In the unlikely event that the payment has not reached you by the 10th April, please contact me".
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 3 Apr, 2013 01:41 pm
@Loh Jane,
Quote:
Hi English teacher,do I use 'improbably' appropriately?Many thanks in advance.

do I use 'improbably' ... .

What you want here is "Have I used 'improbably' ... , Jane. 'do' holds a meaning of routinely/regularly/always/scheduled/... .

Quote:

Improbably,the goods may not reach your place in a week's time,If so,please contact me

You have used two different modals, 'improbably' and 'may'. They both have different epistemic [level of certainty] meanings so that makes your sentence confusing.

The goods probably won't/will not reach your place in a week's time. = very small chance the goods will arrive

The goods may reach your place in a week's time. = There's a 26 to 50% chance the goods will reach your place in a week's time.

The goods may not reach your place in a week's time. = There's a 26 to 50% chance the goods will not reach your place in a week's time.

0 Replies

Loh Jane

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 08:14 am
Hi all,
Thank you for new guidance and new explanations.
0 Replies