Any good AprilFools down your way?

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 06:13 am
This was in today's Guardian. It's clearly an April Fool. Are there any in your favourite publications?

Quote:
You can already access the Guardian in ways that were unimaginable two decades ago: on your desktop or laptop computer, a tablet, e-reader or smartphone.

But today, ending months of speculation and rumour, this newspaper announces a groundbreaking development in the modern history of the media: a pair of web-connected "augmented reality" spectacles that will beam its journalism directly into the wearer's visual field, enabling users to see the world through the Guardian's eyes at all times.

The motion-sensitive spectacles, known as Guardian Goggles, incorporate translucent screens in the lenses, overlaying the wearer's view of their surroundings with a real-time stream of specially curated opinions from the paper's reporters, critics and commentators. For example, simply by looking at the outside of a restaurant or cinema and pointing, the user can call up relevant Guardian reviews of the food or current films.

"For some time, our users have been telling us they want an even more immersive Guardian experience, without the hassle of having to reach for their phones, or switch on their iPads, and Guardian Goggles are the answer," a spokesperson said.

"Now, when you're out shopping, you needn't have memorised our recent features on ethically sourced foods. Just call up the 'Mini-Monbiot' app, and the products you're looking at will be rated in front of your eyes."

Related software can detect the destinations featured in holiday brochures, warning wearers before they book trips to countries with problematic human rights records.

The spectacles also feature optional built-in anti-bigotry technology, which prevents exposure to non-Guardian opinions by blacking out columns by Melanie Phillips or Richard Littlejohn, among other writers, as soon as the user attempts to look at them.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/apr/01/guardian-goggles-augmented-reality-specs

izzythepush

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 06:59 am
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 07:16 am
@izzythepush,
Google has a cute one.....

Looks as though there's nothing here this year.....sigh.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 07:20 am
@dlowan,
There's a whole page on the guardian's website, including the penguins video.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/blog/2013/apr/01/april-fools-jokes-2013-the-best-on-the-web
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 07:59 am

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x336/RegionPhilbis/ape-fooz_zps1eb9498a.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 08:04 am
@Region Philbis,
One is going on here now, as Region noted. I first noticed it with my cursor... and was going to restart, until I caught on. Always am glad to see this playfulness.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 08:07 am
@ossobuco,

oh good -- spinning cursor is also part of it...

R(how do they do that)P
ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 08:08 am
@Region Philbis,
Mine, mac you know, shows what looks like a stop sign with an upside down L in it.. but reverts to regular if I click on it. Oh, wait, that looks like a watch.

Oh, by the way, you're standing on your head, and headline typeface has changed.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 08:21 am
@dlowan,
Ok...site looks weird and the avatars are upside down.

Make my ears wiggle again and I'll worship you.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 08:24 am
@dlowan,

avatar (and images) are flipped on chrome, but not on ie...
dlowan

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 08:25 am
@Region Philbis,
Indeed?
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 08:27 am
@dlowan,

even the logo is flipped -- a clear sign that the site is in distress...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 08:32 am
Everybody's avatar is upside down except mine. Am I being persecuted by being ignored? Wink
ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 08:49 am
@rosborne979,
At least your emoticon is upsidedownwise.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 09:05 am
I was hoping for something! My avatar actually looks better upside down.
Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 09:30 am
I've posted this before in my April Fools threads, but i didn't start one this year. This is as good a place as any to post one of the classic April Fools jokes, from the BBC, April 1st, 1957:

People seriously believed that one . . .
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 09:39 am
Test
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 09:41 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

I was hoping for something! My avatar actually looks better upside down.

I don't see anyone's av as being upside down.

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 09:50 am
@Cycloptichorn,
It comes and goes--along with the altered fonts. I guess the idea is to make you look a fool if you complain about it, and others don't see it.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 1 Apr, 2013 09:52 am
The hourglass cursor got me. Logged into the site and wondered why it wasn't loading.