How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 27 Feb, 2014 11:44 am
Quote:
Wilso said: the only thing that will happen when you die, is that you'll be dead

They weren't sure about that in Old Testament times mate, that's why you'll find some OT verses that say the dead stay dead, and other verses that say resurrection will happen.
For example these verses are all in the Old T-
"Sleepers in the dust of the earth shall awake,to eternal life or contempt" (Daniel 12:2)
"Awake and sing,you who dwell in dust,the earth shall cast out her dead" (Isaiah 26:19)
"I will open your graves,and you shall know I am the Lord" (Ezekiel 37:12)

But when Jesus arrived he set the record straight once and for all by letting us know that nobody stays dead..Smile
Jesus said -"Whoever lives and believes in me will never die."(John 11:26/27)
Jesus said:- "All in the graves shall come out,to resurrection or damnation" (John 5:28/29)
Jesus said of his dead friend:-"Lazarus is asleep, but I'm going to wake him up now" (John 11:11)
Jesus said:-"Then they will go away to eternal punishment,but the righteous to eternal life" (Matt 25:46)
Jesus said:- "Pray..that you will be able to stand before the Son of Man" (Luke 21:36)
Jesus said- "At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven" (Matt 22:30)
Jesus said “Why all this commotion and wailing? The child is not dead but asleep.” (Mark 5:39)
Jesus said:- "All in the graves shall come out.." (John 5:28/29)

And the rest of the New T also sings from the same song sheet as Jesus-
"Don't grieve for those asleep,for they sleep in Jesus" (1 Thess 4:13/14)
"And the sea gave up the dead that were in it" (Revelation 20:13)
"So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable...it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body.. flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God" (1 Cor 15:42-50)
"Don't grieve for those asleep,for they sleep in Jesus" (1 Thess 4:13/14)
"In the twinkling of an eye the dead shall be raised imperishable and we shall be changed" (1 Cor 15:52)

BOINNGGG!
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/ack-in-the-boxB.gif~original
Calamity Dal

Thu 27 Feb, 2014 04:10 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Your indoctrination requires those to be contradictions though don't they Mick.
But I suppose it makes sense, you're only following the scripture
"Some scripture is inspired of god, except the bits you don't like, those are just confused men writing uncertainties in their journals." Bible Page 900 somewhere
coluber2001

Tue 27 May, 2014 01:05 pm
Joseph Campbell said, "All religions are true in that they are metaphoric of the cosmic mystery, but if you get stuck to the metaphor, then you're in trouble." And that's the problem; most organized religions emphasize the metaphor and not the experience. The beauty of religion is the mystery; to feel that in your everyday life is the gist of religion.

The word "mystery" is taken two ways: In science mystery is the beginning; but, in religion the mystery is the end.
JLNobody

Tue 27 May, 2014 03:41 pm
@coluber2001,
Well put, but I believe I can posit from my (limited but real) experience that the mystical "religious" approach both begins and ends with the mystery of existence.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Fri 11 Jul, 2014 12:10 pm
Quote:

They were invented by humans, who are mostly ignorant.
JLNobody

Fri 11 Jul, 2014 04:34 pm
@Cyracuz,
As I see it, humans who are certain to be cmpletely wrong when it comes to the absolute Truths espoused by their invented fundamentalist religions.
(here comes Frank)
Cyracuz

Fri 11 Jul, 2014 05:07 pm
@JLNobody,
I agree. Humans have great imagination, but what are the odds that we have imagined precisely what happens to be the case?
JLNobody

Fri 11 Jul, 2014 10:48 pm
@Cyracuz,
I agree in the sense that I can't help but feel that our species is neurologically limited to a range of possible conceptual constructions which can be very interesting TO US and very pragmatic as guides for utilitarian actions. But I severely doubt that we can construct images of Reality that have "metaphysical" validity. Even Kant's noumena is, from my perspective, such a joke that it renders its compliment, phenomena, no more than a useful fiction.
neologist

Fri 11 Jul, 2014 11:30 pm
@Calamity Dal,
Romeo simply fails to realize that resurrection is not certain. And, that even those who are resurrected are not immortal.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sat 12 Jul, 2014 03:51 am
Jesus was crystal clear- "Whoever lives and believes in me will never die...All in the graves shall come out.." (John 5:28/29, John 11:26)
but Neologist's Jehovah's Witnesses think he's fibbing!
Frank Apisa

Sat 12 Jul, 2014 05:56 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

As I see it, humans who are certain to be cmpletely wrong when it comes to the absolute Truths espoused by their invented fundamentalist religions.
(here comes Frank)

Not sure what in hell you were trying to say here, JL...except for the part about (here comes Frank.)

Your sentence simply makes no sense to me...and seems more like a sentence fragment than a sentence.

I'd love to respond.

Any chance you would reword it to make it comprehensible?
neologist

Sat 12 Jul, 2014 09:47 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
What of those who refuse?
0 Replies

neologist

Sat 12 Jul, 2014 09:49 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:

They were invented by humans, who are mostly ignorant.
Except, of course, present company. . . . . . .
Procrustes

Sat 12 Jul, 2014 10:10 am
How can we be sure Schrodinger's cat is alive without ever opening the box?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Sat 12 Jul, 2014 10:20 am
@neologist,
No Neo. I could present to you my system of understanding the world (if I had one), and I am certain that whatever I came up with, no matter how elegant and accurate it seemed to us, it would be wrong, simply because I haven't seen everything. No human has.
Cyracuz

Sat 12 Jul, 2014 10:23 am
@JLNobody,
Quote:
But I severely doubt that we can construct images of Reality that have "metaphysical" validity.

I think we use the term metaphysics differently, because I would say that the only validity our constructed images have is metaphysical.

Metaphysics is, after all, the study of reality as it appears to us. Granted that is not what the dictionary says, but if we don't have a naive-realistic perspective it is kind of self evident.
Fil Albuquerque

Sat 12 Jul, 2014 11:43 am
@Cyracuz,
Well done !
0 Replies

neologist

Sat 12 Jul, 2014 12:30 pm
@Cyracuz,
Just pullin yer chain, of course
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Sat 12 Jul, 2014 07:22 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Your sentence simply makes no sense to me...and seems more like a sentence fragment than a sentence.

If you read the post to which JL was replying this should easily be cleared up.

rosborne979

Sat 12 Jul, 2014 07:50 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:
"How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?"
Because they are religions. If they were right we would call them science.