How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

Frank Apisa

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 03:16 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:
There is nothing senseless about my position...or my question.

Of course it's senseless. The word "guess" is being inappropriately used like in a statement such as "golf is boring, is just a blind guess".

Get over yourself, Fresco.

There is absolutely nothing senseless about my position. I may not be the sharpest tool in this shed...but I am by no means stupid.

The word "guess" was appropriately and advisedly used. It bothers you because it conflicts with your belief system.
fresco

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 03:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
"What IS...IS" makes no sense to you.

As you already know, it only makes sense to a naive realist or someone too indolent to research the extensive literature on ontology and semantics.
What does make sense to the philosophers who call themselves "pragmatists" is "What IS =What MATTERS".
fresco

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 03:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No Frank. I have explained why it is inappropriate, Your bleating denials have no impact on my explanation irrespective of the sharpness of your tool ( Wink )
JLNobody

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 03:49 pm
@anonymously99stwin,
I got a message that you are also following me. When I looked up your profile in order to get some understanding of why you do not consider my posts to be a waste of your time (thank you) my computer crashed. And that happened repeatedly but only with your profile not that of others. You might want to check that out with the powers that be.
fresco

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 03:52 pm
@JLNobody,
He's "following" me too ! Shocked
JLNobody

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 03:56 pm
@fresco,
Let's ask him why. Should we be worried or flattered?
fresco

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 04:07 pm
@JLNobody,
Well, he claims to be "a psychopath" .... but I have my doubts !
anonymously99stwin

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 04:17 pm
@fresco,
You guys are something.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 05:30 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:
"What IS...IS" makes no sense to you.

As you already know, it only makes sense to a naive realist or someone too indolent to research the extensive literature on ontology and semantics.
What does make sense to the philosophers who call themselves "pragmatists" is "What IS =What MATTERS".

Whatever!

I simply do not subscribe to your religion, Fresco...and so I cannot accept any of the tenets that are part of it.
Frank Apisa

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 05:32 pm
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

No Frank. I have explained why it is inappropriate, Your bleating denials have no impact on my explanation irrespective of the sharpness of your tool ( Wink )

Your bleating "explanations" are inappropriate, Fresco. That is why I have suggested that you get over yourself.

My comments were completely appropriate...although they may cut across the grain of your religion.
anonymously99stwin

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 05:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'm starting to think you guys are messing with my head.
Frank Apisa

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 06:55 pm
@anonymously99stwin,
anonymously99stwin wrote:

I'm starting to think you guys are messing with my head.

I'm not.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 09:33 pm
@anonymously99stwin,
Don't be paranoid. Trust our intentions. Smile
anonymously99stwin

Mon 13 Jan, 2014 10:02 pm
@JLNobody,
I believe you're all good people.
0 Replies

fresco

Tue 14 Jan, 2014 01:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I simply do not subscribe to your religion, Fresco...and so I cannot accept any of the tenets that are part of it.

Smile
Yet you heavily subscribe to a religion called "golf"....a set of cultural, physical and psychological practices, which has its own language and rituals, and which gives companionship and reasons for getting through the day. Golf is a slightly younger religion than monotheism (by a few thousand years or so) but relative to the age of humanity both appear to be temporally shifting parochial pastimes which have no ontological significance other than that generated by the mutual reinforcement of their adherents.

Try engaging your brain on the issue of the historicity of socio-cultural practices instead of indulging in vacuous denials. You might even learn something about your facile usage of the term "religion".
Frank Apisa

Tue 14 Jan, 2014 06:39 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

Quote:

Smile
Yet you heavily subscribe to a religion called "golf"....a set of cultural, physical and psychological practices, which has its own language and rituals, and which gives companionship and reasons for getting through the day. Golf is a slightly younger religion than monotheism (by a few thousand years or so) but relative to the age of humanity both appear to be temporally shifting parochial pastimes which have no ontological significance other than that generated by the mutual reinforcement of their adherents.

Try engaging your brain on the issue of the historicity of socio-cultural practices instead of indulging in vacuous denials. You might even learn something about your facile usage of the term "religion".

There are no "vacuous denials" that I am making, Fresco. I am simply acknowledging that I do not know the true nature of the REALITY of existence.

You are pretending that you do.

Hey...it doesn't make you a bad guy.

By the way, my golf does not involve pretending to know the nature of REALITY. I enjoy the game...whether all this is an illusion or if it is exactly what the naive realists suppose it to be.

Me...I do not know.

I suspect you don't either.

The real difference between us is not the fact that you are smarter...but rather that I am willing to acknowledge what I do not know and you are not.
fresco

Tue 14 Jan, 2014 07:12 am
@Frank Apisa,
No. You are here to attempt to make ignorance a virtue. Phrases like "not knowing the true nature of reality" are meaningless divorced from specific contexts. My relative "smartness" which you are inclined to evoke is illustrated by that very understanding about the meaning and usage of words. And that understanding comes from the mental effort I and others have expended in careful consideration of the ideas of others acknowledged to be smarter than ourselves.
Frank Apisa

Tue 14 Jan, 2014 07:31 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

No. You are here to attempt to make ignorance a virtue.

No, actually I am attempting to make HONESTY a virtue.

You may never be able to master that lesson.

Quote:
Phrases like "not knowing the true nature of reality" are meaningless divorced from specific contexts.

Nonsense! Just because your religion says that does not mean it is so...and quite honestly, I think it is not.

Quote:
My relative "smartness" which you are inclined to evoke is illustrated by that very understanding about the meaning and usage of words.

I doubt that...but since you are smarter than I, you may be correct about that. But that does not mean that what I am saying is meaningless in any way. You need that to be true because unless that is so...even you can see that your religious beliefs about REALITY are merely guesses.

Quote:
And that understanding comes from the mental effort I and others have expended in careful consideration of the ideas of others acknowledged to be smarter than ourselves.

In my opinion, your mental effort has been wasted, Fresco. You simply do not get it!

But...that doesn't make you a bad guy either...just an intelligent, foolish one.
anonymously99stwin

Tue 14 Jan, 2014 07:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
Solution to everyone's problems. 
Frank Apisa

Tue 14 Jan, 2014 07:50 am
@anonymously99stwin,
anonymously99stwin wrote:

Solution to everyone's problems. 
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPoTGyWT0Cg&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

Wink
0 Replies