How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

Jasper10

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 02:20 pm
@justaguy2,
The points being made in the recent posts are simple:

1.Nobody can PROVE that there is or isn’t a God.We can therefore only HOPE that there is or isn’t a God.
2.We therefore can only exercise FAITH in one or the other.

It needed to be made clear to atheists you see as PROOF;HOPE & FAITH equally applies to them.

Oh yes and then

Frank doesn’t know...
Frank Apisa

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 02:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Quote:
As for being "Christian"...I think most agnostics (and many, many atheists) are a hell of a lot closer to the teachings of Jesus than the people who claim they are Christians.
Frank, Can you expand on that statement? I'm atheist, and I don't relate myself to any religious' teachings.

The teachings attributed to Jesus contain things like, "Love one another"; "Be kind"; "Be neighborly"; "Try not to be unnecessarily judgmental"; "Help the poor"; "Share of what you have."

I personally find those sentiments to be worthwhile...and I have attempted to incorporate them into my personal philosophy. We go back a long way, ci...and I see you finding those aspects of the teachings attributed to Jesus to be worthwhile also. You personify many of them. Atheists and agnostics seem, at least to me, to have a greater affinity with those aspects of Christian teaching. People who proclaim their "Christianity" often seem to consider them peripheral to the ostentatious praying and the formalities of religion. They miss the forest because they let the trees block their view.

I definitely did not mean the more religious aspects...the "love god" kind of thing.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 02:29 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

Frank doesn’t know...

I don’t think he’s claimed otherwise.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 02:31 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

The points being made in the recent posts are simple:

1.Nobody can PROVE that there is or isn’t a God.We can therefore only HOPE that there is or isn’t a God.
2.We therefore can only exercise FAITH in one or the other.

It needed to be made clear to atheists you see as PROOF;HOPE & FAITH equally applies to them.

Oh yes and then

Frank doesn’t know...

None of us KNOWS.

I ACKNOWLEDGE that I do not know. I make that a prime ingredient in what I have to say about the REALITY of existence.

You do not know either, but people like you make that an incidental part of the equation. When you start to emphasize that you do not know...you will have grown up.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 02:41 pm
@Jasper10,
Hope and faith only applies to atheism in that there is a lack or rejection of both in regard to gods.

Proof is a matter of knowledge, or the lack of knowledge in regard to agnostics regarding gods.
Jasper10

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 02:55 pm
@InfraBlue,
If Atheists say there is no God then they need to PROVE it.They definitely can’t do that so all they can do is HOPE there is no God and exercise there ongoing FAITH in their claims.
InfraBlue

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 03:53 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

If Atheists say there is no God then they need to PROVE it.They definitely can’t do that so all they can do is HOPE there is no God and exercise there ongoing FAITH in their claims.

Generally, while some atheists do say there is no god, most atheists say they don't believe in god. It's a conviction with atheists that say there is no god based on a lack of satisfactory evidence. It has nothing to do with hope or faith either way.
Leadfoot

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 04:27 pm
@Jasper10,
Quote:
We are not our thoughts and reasonings.We just have thoughts and reasonings.

The very least you can do is be consistent.

“As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.”
You can look it up if you like.
Jasper10

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 01:13 am
@InfraBlue,
Well atheist can NOT believe in God as much as they like but that doesn’t mean that there isn’t a God and they certainly can’t prove there isn’t.If they believe then all they have is a HOPE that their belief system is true.It might not be.
Jasper10

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 01:17 am
@Leadfoot,
The heart of man is wicked Leadfoot. It practices double minded thinking/reasoning.
Jasper10

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 01:39 am
@Jasper10,
Everyone KNOWS that they DON’T KNOW whether there is or isn’t a God.
0 Replies

justaguy2

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 05:46 am
@Jasper10,
You didn't answer the question I asked, and I was only looking for a simple "yes" or "no" answer.

In any case, you are clearly quite confused. As the word "faith" when applied to the subject at hand means you have a "strong belief in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual conviction rather than proof". So the dictionary disagrees with you for starters. For seconds, since nobody can prove that there is or isn't a "god", or "gods", then "proof, hope and faith" CAN'T "apply equally". They are not the same things to begin with. So you don't understand what Frank is trying to tell you.

Like myself, it should be pretty clear that Frank is "agnostic". Which means someone who believes that "nothing can be known about the existence of god". What part of that do you not understand? It's pretty simple.

Therefore your arguments are nothing but a pointless exercise in futility. But you are too blinded by your beliefs to see it. That's why you keep carrying on like a pork chop...
Jasper10

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:13 am
@justaguy2,
Who’s confused?..LOL ..their either is or isn’t a God whether you like it or not.
Frank Apisa

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:53 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

Who’s confused?..LOL ..their either is or isn’t a God whether you like it or not.

The word is "there" not "their"...and your blind guess that there is at least one god IS a blind guess whether you like it or not.

Your "faith" that your blind guess is correct (to the point where you preach it)...is NOT a virtue. If anything, it is stubbornness gone ape ****.
Frank Apisa

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:55 am
@justaguy2,
Jasper may eventually see the light. He just has to get past the ego.
Jasper10

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 08:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
Egos Frank not Ego...Get it right if you are going to make profound statements...
Jasper10

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 09:00 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank...thanks for pointing out the spelling mistake.I did spot it but I couldn’t edit it because it had timed out.

Everyone knows that they don’t know if God exists or Not.

That goes for Atheists;Agnostics or Believers in God.

It is a blind guess that God exists
It is a blind guess that God doesn’t exist.

That’s why we all only have HOPE.
Frank Apisa

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 09:06 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

Egos Frank not Ego...Get it right if you are going to make profound statements...

Ego works just fine...unless you are into one of your "faith" arguments.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 09:11 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

Frank...thanks for pointing out the spelling mistake.I did spot it but I couldn’t edit it because it had timed out.

Everyone knows that they don’t know if God exists or Not.

That goes for Atheists;Agnostics or Believers in God.

It is a blind guess that God exists
It is a blind guess that God doesn’t exist.

That’s why we all only have HOPE.

The "hope" bullshit is just there so you can avoid the "blind guess" truth. It is a lot easier on the ego to say, "I am hoping that a god exists" than "I am blindly guessing that a god exists...and insisting that my blind guess is correct."

In any case, why anyone would "hope" that a god like the one Jesus worshiped exists...is beyond me. That is like hoping someone like Hitler or Stalin takes control of one's country.

Seriously, Jasper. I am not breaking your balls. I am inviting you to take a clearer view of the issue.
Jasper10

Sat 19 Sep, 2020 09:22 am
@Frank Apisa,
I am merely pointing out that HOPE is all that any of us have.We can all hope can’t we?