How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

NealNealNeal

Thu 17 Sep, 2020 05:01 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper,
Our responsibility is to give evidence for why we believe and to testify to the truth of Christianity. It is also a privilege to be able to have discussions with people on this board. You did not waste your time.
If someone wants to get rid of Spiritual Blindness, only God can help him do that.
Prayer is an especially good use of time
God bless you!!!
Jasper10

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 01:55 am
@NealNealNeal,
Blessings to you as well!!!! you are right, God does it all, thankfully.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 05:14 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

Ok Frank..I am clearly wasting my time..Many people already know about this stuff to varying degrees but clearly not you.I feel sorry for you Frank but I will pray for you.Spiritual blindness is a terrible thing.

You ARE wasting your time. You should do stand-up. You are funny...in an unserious way.
Frank Apisa

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 05:16 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

NealNealNeal wrote:

At the very least, Pascal's wager should prompt a person to investigate the claims of Christianity.

Pascal's wager is precisely a reason some people reject the god of Christianity.

NealNealNeal wrote:

There is evidence behind these claims.

What's the evidence? Your testimony?

NealNealNeal wrote:

Sorry guys, but God is not going to judge a person based on "if he believes there is either no god or at least one god".

You're begging the question.

Pascal's Wager is a philosophical joke. Anyone who takes it seriously, like Neal, is kidding him/herself.
Frank Apisa

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 05:20 am
@NealNealNeal,
NealNealNeal wrote:

Jasper,
Our responsibility is to give evidence for why we believe and to testify to the truth of Christianity. It is also a privilege to be able to have discussions with people on this board. You did not waste your time.
If someone wants to get rid of Spiritual Blindness, only God can help him do that.
Prayer is an especially good use of time
God bless you!!!

Yeah, sure.

Prayer can move mountains.

Tell ya what:

You can pray...and get every priest, clergyman, rabbai, imam, the entire college of Cardinals, and the Pope...to move a mountain with prayer...

...and I will get a Girl Scout with a teaspoon.

We'll see who can move more of any hill or mountain of your choosing.

0 Replies

Jasper10

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 05:31 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, what are you worrying about ..the fact that your wager may not come in? Chill...we can all see that you have got it all in hand...
Frank Apisa

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 07:14 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

Frank, what are you worrying about ..the fact that your wager may not come in? Chill...we can all see that you have got it all in hand...

I am not worried, Jasper. It would be better if you stopped projecting.

I actually agree with you about the "need" for "faith."

The only way you get to where you and Neal are is to make a blind guess that a single god exists...make another blind guess that the god is the jealous, vindictive, petty, demanding god that Jesus worshiped...

...and then "have faith" (insist) that your blind guesses have to be correct.

That does not bother me. I actually laugh at it.

I was part of it at one time, Jasper, and if the change event had not happened, I probably still would be.
Jasper10

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 11:35 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, I’m glad that we both agree the need for “Faith”.

Secondly, ok but atheists have to accept they also need to make an equal but opposite blind guess that a single god doesn’t exist and then make another blind guess that that god is the jealous, vindictive, petty ,demanding God that Jesus didn’t worship because he was One with the Father and Holy Spirit.

....and then “have Faith” (insist) that their blind guesses have to be correct.

That does not bother me either Frank.I actually laugh at it.

So that’s cancelled out the believer and and the unbelievers reasonings Frank.

Probably best if we both stop listening to these biological reasons Frank as we both keep falling out.

Not sure what you mean by “change event”.

Frank Apisa

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 11:58 am
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

Frank, I’m glad that we both agree the need for “Faith”.

Secondly, ok but atheists have to accept they also need to make an equal but opposite blind guess that a single god doesn’t exist and then make another blind guess that that god is the jealous, vindictive, petty ,demanding God that Jesus didn’t worship because he was One with the Father and Holy Spirit.

....and then “have Faith” (insist) that their blind guesses have to be correct.

That does not bother me either Frank.I actually laugh at it.

So that’s cancelled out the believer and and the unbelievers reasonings Frank.

Probably best if we both stop listening to these biological reasons Frank as we both keep falling out.

People who claim there is a god...and people who claim there are no gods...

...are merely sharing their blind guesses about an unknown.

I don't make guesses...so I need no "faith."

Either there is at least one god...or there are none.

I have enough self-assurance to say, "I do not know which it is."

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by “change event”.

I grew up. Big change.

Before that...I was into that god thing like you.

cicerone imposter

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 12:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Jasper, It's true we make a "blind" guess, but if you study science and evolution, it answers all those questions. In the first place, relying on a book written two thousand years ago without the benefit of science, anthropology, paleontology, geography, and evolution, it misses the important aspects of our life on this planet. There are evidence for human evolution, as there are for most living things. If you can provide evidence that the conclusion of science and scientists are wrong, please provide evidence for them. I have an open mind. https://www.livescience.com/474-controversy-evolution-works.html Also, Evidence of Evolution
Thousands of human fossils enable researchers and students to study the changes that occurred in brain and body size, locomotion, diet, and other aspects regarding the way of life of early human species over the past 6 million years.

Human Evolution Evidence | The Smithsonian Institution's ...humanorigins.si.edu › evidence
0 Replies

Jasper10

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 12:59 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Ok Frank,I think I get it ...as far as you are concerned it doesn’t matter to you whether there is or isn’t a God (and you are certainly not going to guess on that score).However, as far as you are concerned ...if there is a God...then you have already rejected him.

Now why didn’t you say that in the first place to save both our time.
Frank Apisa

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 01:10 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

Ok Frank,I think I get it ...as far as you are concerned it doesn’t matter to you whether there is or isn’t a God (and you are certainly not going to guess on that score).However, as far as you are concerned ...if there is a God...then you have already rejected him.

Now why didn’t you say that in the first place to save both our time.

You have got to be one of the most dense humans I've ever dealt with, Jasper. Ive seen brick walls that could be a better conversation partner than you.

I have said that I do not know whether there are any gods or not...and I choose not to make a guess in either direction.

I've said it dozens of times.

I have posted DIRECTLY TO YOU my take on the issue. Here it is again:

I do not know if gods exist or not;
I see no reason to suspect gods CANNOT EXIST (that the existence of gods is impossible);
I see no reason to suspect that gods MUST EXIST (that at least one god is needed to explain existence);
I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction...

...so I don't.
[/b]

What the hell do you not understand about that? There are no exceptionally big words in there. What do you not understand about something I have said to you repeatedly?
justaguy2

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 01:14 pm
I've never understood why people would have such pointless arguments about something that cannot be known or proven either way. Let alone why, if you believe there is a "god", and believing in, and worshiping said "god" will "guarantee" the "believer" a place in "heaven", one would even need to argue about "how to prove they believe in god" in the first place. Let alone be concerned about someone else "going to hell" or "being judged on so-called judgement day" who does not "believe".

I've seen at least two or three pages of nothing but a bunch of "beliefs", and arguing about "how those beliefs can or cannot be proven" that is just utterly pointless to even read, let alone waste time arguing about.

At what point did a "belief" need any proof whatsoever to be just that... a "belief" ?

At what point did a "fact" become the same thing as a "belief" ?

A "belief" would not be just a "belief" if one could actually prove it to be a "fact", as a "belief" is no longer just a "belief" once it becomes a "fact". So what's the bloody point in arguing about "how to prove you believe" if you've not proven it to be anything other than a "belief" in the first place, and it is still therefore just a "belief" ?? Why do you need to prove a "belief" is just that... a "belief" ?? The only way a "belief" becomes a "fact" is if you can actually prove it TO BE A FACT. This means that you can prove it not only beyond any possible doubt, but it also means that the proof is absolutely clear and indisputable to anyone who is skeptical.

Do you understand what the words "belief", "fact", "proof", "indisputable" and "skeptical" mean Jasper10 and NealNealNeal ? Yes or No ?
Jasper10

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 01:22 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Ok Frank..I’ll put it another way...you don’t know ...but ...you were a Christian but now your not,
izzythepush

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 01:28 pm
@Jasper10,
Where did Frank curse God?

I can’t see it.
Frank Apisa

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 01:35 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

You claim that you don’t know in one breath and then curse God anyway in the next breath...Are you for real??

What the hell are you talking about?

How can I curse "God" when I do not even know if any gods exist?

If you are commenting on what I have said about that monster that Jesus worshiped...at least let me know that is what you are doing.

I have no idea of why any sane person would "worship" or claim to love that god. The god of the Bible is an abomination...a comic book god. The god is laughingly jealous, vengeful, murderous, barbaric, comically tyrannical...and about as petty as a farthing. If that opinion bothers you...talk with someone else, because that IS my opinion of that god. Zeus, Odin or Ra were all much better gods to worship and love.

Can you elevate your game a bit?
Frank Apisa

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 01:38 pm
@Jasper10,
Jasper10 wrote:

Ok Frank..I’ll put it another way...you don’t know ...but ...you were a Christian but now your not,

I was raised as a Catholic...and I was serious about my religion as a young man.

Now I have the position I have offered you several times. It obviously is an agnostic position.

As for being "Christian"...I think most agnostics (and many, many atheists) are a hell of a lot closer to the teachings of Jesus than the people who claim they are Christians.
Jasper10

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 01:42 pm
@izzythepush,
No actually Frank didn’t openly say that.Apologies Frank.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 01:48 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Ok Frank ...if that is your view then...ok.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 18 Sep, 2020 02:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
As for being "Christian"...I think most agnostics (and many, many atheists) are a hell of a lot closer to the teachings of Jesus than the people who claim they are Christians.
Frank, Can you expand on that statement? I'm atheist, and I don't relate myself to any religious' teachings.