95

How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

Leadfoot

1  
Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2018 10:50 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I dunno man, if you can pick up a conversation after five years like it was yesterday, that’s pretty good.

LD Saunders

-1  
Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 03:27 pm
@reasoning logic,
You are assuming that all religions make claims that can be proven false, which is not true. Not all religions even have theistic beliefs.

As far as your later comment that if a God can make DNA, then why can't it do something less complicated like make us believe in it, there are a number of problems with this position: 1. You assume one God as opposed to many. 2. You assume this alleged God would want to make its presence known. 3. You assume that it would be easier for this alleged God to prove to us it exists than to make DNA. If we gave this alleged God a characteristic, like being "all powerful," then how could it ever prove to me that it is all-powerful? It couldn't. Even if this alleged God did every thing I asked of it for the last 20 years, for all anyone knows, the very next task I ask this God to perform, it won't be able to do. So, it would actually, depending on how one defines this alleged God, be far easier to make DNA than to prove it exists.
fresco

1  
Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2018 01:18 am
@LD Saunders,

Re: reasoning logic (Post 5289976)

If you read through this long thread you will see that those 'assumptions' have already been deconstructed without any specific reference to a deity. Indeed, beyond the futile 'evidence for God' debate, even that 'I' you are currently calling yourself only has ephemeral existential status according some philosophers.

brianjakub

0  
Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 09:23 am
@Setanta,
I suspect that your standard of living is well above Christopher Columbus' or queen Isabella's and so far above 90% of the people in this world that you must be more greedy than Christopher Columbus. But I suspect you don't risk life or limb to gain your creature comfort's like he did. So does that make you lazier or or greedier than Christopher Columbus?

1  
Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2018 04:58 pm
@LD Saunders,
Gods are all manmade imaginary things like comic book characters. It's about money and control of the mind. I've visited some of the most beautiful religious' temples in the world costing large amounts of assets and energy even in predominantly poor third world countries. My question is always "why?" Money and control = control and money.
brianjakub

0  
Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2018 07:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Instead of asking why you would build the temple why don't you ask the people to build? I am sure that their answer is a lot different than your answer of, "control and money."
fresco

1  
Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2018 06:33 am
@brianjakub,
Most of the old Christian buildings in England were financed by bequests of the rich who thought this would secure their place in 'heaven'. No doubt such celestial type aspirations are common to all all involved in religious constructions. The big joke is the favourable tax status of such businesses.
brianjakub

0  
Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2018 10:38 am
@fresco,
Sounds like an intelligent decision to me. Wouldn't you agree as long as they can provide an understandable reason for that belief.

NO-NAME

-1  
Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 03:27 am
@reasoning logic,
A slave believes what he is told but a free man creates his own beliefs
brianjakub

-1  
Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2018 06:32 am
@NO-NAME,
How can a free man create beliefs about an evolving system of information as vast as the universe when he is such a small insignificant part of it? Shouldnt there be something bigger than him that organized the system he is such a small part of which gave him the ability to belive?