How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

Agent1741

Wed 20 Jun, 2018 11:01 pm
The most important thing to remember is that God gave the human race freewill & that is ultimately what became the downfall of man which led to sin! Adam & Eve did what God told them not to do so the first sin of man happened. Man has a choice in all things ie to do good or bad & he will not interfere hence we are left to our own devices. We in no way can entertain the idea that religion is wrong! Some things that have & will be done in the name of religion will be wrong but that does not make religion wrong in itself.
fresco

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 03:14 pm
@Agent1741,
No. That piece of apologist's twaddle is the least important factor, and detracts from accounting for the socially pernicious endemic tendencies of religions, which boil down to lttle more than 'sanctified' tribalism.
cicerone imposter

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 03:20 pm
@fresco,
I agree based on my observations around the world. Religion for most people is an accident of birth. People follow the religion of their culture, country and/or family members. That's the reason why different cultures have different religious' beliefs and gods. A good example is Rome. One can guess what religion they belong to by their residence.
Leadfoot

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 03:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I wonder why they don’t still worship the original Roman gods? You mean one poor carpenter coming along and preaching is all it takes to change things?
Fil Albuquerque

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 04:20 pm
@Leadfoot,
They were a worse deal...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 21 Jun, 2018 04:40 pm
@Leadfoot,
Yup! LOL
0 Replies

izzythepush

Fri 22 Jun, 2018 12:49 am
@Leadfoot,
No central control system, a multitude of different gods means lots of different priests with different ethics, not all of whom would agree with the government. It's a lot harder to control the masses that way.

One central controlled state religion, with one pope based in Rome meant that government doctrine became religious doctrine. It's tailor made for totalitarianism, crowd control and corruption, it's where we got nonsense like the divine right of kings.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Fri 22 Jun, 2018 04:48 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

I wonder why they don’t still worship the original Roman gods? You mean one poor carpenter coming along and preaching is all it takes to change things?

It probably has more to do with the message than the carpenter. Unfortunately the message is really just a more effective existential threat punctuated with emotional hooks. “Believe what we say with all your heart and soul or burn in hell forever “. Much more effective then previous versions.
brianjakub

Fri 22 Jun, 2018 07:31 am
@fresco,
Quote:
religions, which boil down to tribalism

Tribes exist with or without religion. The reason we have tribes is because of God’s most important gift “Love”. Tribes are a group of families that love each other. The tribe provides protection for their loved ones.
brianjakub

Fri 22 Jun, 2018 07:34 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Believe what we say with all your heart and soul or burn in hell forever.
. Don’t forget the other side of the or, “And live in love and ecstasy with your Creator forever.” That might have more to do with its success.
Leadfoot

Fri 22 Jun, 2018 08:15 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Believe what we say with all your heart and soul or burn in hell forever “.
. What most people believe is in the Bible always amazes me. I assume you are serious ?

If you’re talking about some religions who claim to abide by the word, that’s a different story. But why would anybody bother with a religion that violated their own sacred book? Which is really the answer to the OP - If a religion violates its own foundation - you can be sure it is false.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 22 Jun, 2018 01:57 pm
@brianjakub,
Quote:
The reason we have tribes is because of God’s most important gift “Love”.

Burn in hell forever if you don't believe in me. That's love? Really?

Quote:
For example, the Bible clearly teaches that sinners will burn in Hell for eternity. This issue is so simple that it can be summed up in one sentence: Everybody has an eternal destiny eternal life in Heaven with Jesus or burning in eternal Hell with the devil. Haven't you read Mark 9:43 and other verses that say the fires of Hell will never quit burning? If you are going to teach the Bible, why don't you teach what it says?
– Alicia"

https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Mark%209%3A43
brianjakub

Fri 22 Jun, 2018 05:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
How do you know if burning in hell is a good thing or a bas thing?
Fil Albuquerque

Fri 22 Jun, 2018 06:20 pm
@brianjakub,
Good point, who's to say burning in hell is not chilling? We only know how burning on Earth is like...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Fri 22 Jun, 2018 09:45 pm
@brianjakub,
brianjakub wrote:

Quote:
Believe what we say with all your heart and soul or burn in hell forever.
. Don’t forget the other side of the or, “And live in love and ecstasy with your Creator forever.” That might have more to do with its success.

Carrot and Stick. Simple and effective. No carpenter required. Just the message.
cicerone imposter

Fri 22 Jun, 2018 10:35 pm
@rosborne979,
Except that "stick" was burn in hell for eternity. Not nice.
Agent1741

Fri 22 Jun, 2018 11:07 pm
@brianjakub,
I would say that if you are not going to heaven then you are going to hell, that's what it says in Revelation. There is no in between place.
0 Replies

fresco

Sat 23 Jun, 2018 12:11 am
@brianjakub,
You misquoted me by ignoring the word 'sanctified' in front of 'tribalism'.
It is a truism to say 'tribalism exists with or without religion', since we appear to be genetically programmed for it via our primate ancestors. What religious fairy stories do is to rationalise it by authoritatively establishing divisive social membership lines...us versus them..good guys versus bad guys...God hearers versus Satan hearers...sinners versus saints. (You only need to refer to something like the transcript of the 'Trial of Joan of Arc' to understand that). The irony is the religious claptrap about 'brotherly love' which is the sleight of hand game played by religionists who actually reserve the term 'brother' for 'those who think and do like them'.
fresco

Sat 23 Jun, 2018 12:36 am
@brianjakub,
https://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/basis/joanofarc-trial.asp
cicerone imposter

Sat 23 Jun, 2018 09:29 am
@fresco,
Those are not the only contradictions in their teachings. Why it would have commandments that are contradicted in so many other verses just boggles sanity.
0 Replies