How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

Alan McDougall

Wed 17 May, 2017 03:38 pm
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

As the title reads "How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?" I have my ideas and I would like to hear some of yours before I share mine.

Religions come about due to our fear of death and a need to find solace in an eternal existence after we die.
cicerone imposter

Wed 17 May, 2017 03:51 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Buddhism is different. They believe human life is temporary, but their souls will be reborn.
Quote:
This would lead to the person to be reborn in one of 6 realms which are; heaven, human beings, Asura, hungry ghost, animal and hell.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Wed 17 May, 2017 05:57 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Quote:

Religions come about due to our fear of death and a need to find solace in an eternal existence after we die.

How can you be sure? Why couldn't it be something that someone like my biological father came up with to take advantage of people who were not able ponder complex ideas for themselves? Please click on the video a second time where it says "watch on youtube" and it will play

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Wed 17 May, 2017 06:10 pm
How many God loving people care about people who take bullets to the head for them?

0 Replies

AbsoluteZer0

Thu 18 May, 2017 12:25 pm
Interesting question - especially the way it is formed. It seems like atheists and anti-theists are the only ones allowed to answer.

I think the burden of proof should be on the person who posits their position.

If we claim all religions are wrong you should be able to prove that they are all wrong. But how do you prove a negative? How do you prove that there is no God or there is no nirvana? There is no afterlife?

None of us can prove that we've obtained enlightenment and none of us can prove that our ancestors are in heaven so it is impossible to prove the truthfulness of our religious convictions.

It begs an age-old dilemma but no amount of discussion will solve the riddle.

You believe what you want to believe due to your own life experiences. You try your hardest not to belittle or offend those who hold differing opinions to yourself. You live and let live and try to find harmony and joy in the fact that we live in a multi-belief world.
rosborne979

Thu 18 May, 2017 01:19 pm
@AbsoluteZer0,
AbsoluteZer0 wrote:
If we claim all religions are wrong you should be able to prove that they are all wrong.

Logically, if all religions are different enough to be called different religions (which they are), then at best only one of them can be right. And more likely, none of them are right.

Anything is possible. But what matters is what's probable.
cicerone imposter

Thu 18 May, 2017 02:14 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
AbsoluteZer0 wrote:
If we claim all religions are wrong you should be able to prove that they are all wrong.

Anyone can claim that all religions are wrong based on any religion's ability or inability to prove that their god exists.

However, philosophically speaking, has religion done any good in this world?
There are both good and bad history about religion.

Can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

I think most of us can agree that religion has done more good than bad for humanity. Religious charities help many people every day.

https://www.guidestar.org/nonprofit-directory/human-services/general-human-services/1.aspx

rosborne979

Thu 18 May, 2017 02:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
I think most of us can agree that religion has done more good than bad for humanity.

I don't agree with that.
think rethink

Thu 18 May, 2017 02:31 pm
@rosborne979,
Religion has intensified a sense of responsibility and guilt.
But has done this only after downgrading our behavior to make the former a necessity.
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 18 May, 2017 05:23 pm
@rosborne979,
At last we agree
rosborne979

Thu 18 May, 2017 06:57 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

At last we agree
I guess hell must be freezing over right about now.
reasoning logic

Fri 19 May, 2017 06:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I think most of us can agree that religion has done more good than bad for humanity.

I think that your assessment may be correct today but I think people in the future may weigh it differently than we do today. They may view it as a very barbaric tribal way of thinking.
0 Replies

newmoonnewmoon

Fri 19 May, 2017 07:25 pm
@reasoning logic,
There is just God. That is all.
neologist

Fri 19 May, 2017 07:28 pm
@rosborne979,
Really warm here in San Diego. Has the snow melted in your yard yet?
reasoning logic

Fri 19 May, 2017 07:55 pm
@newmoonnewmoon,
Quote:
There is just God. That is all.

What about the son of God?
newmoonnewmoon

Fri 19 May, 2017 09:19 pm
@reasoning logic,
There is a God. He has a son. A God also. And the story goes on.
coluber2001

Fri 19 May, 2017 09:40 pm
I realize that most everybody is an expert on the subject, but for those few who aren't and wish to understand something, this is the best book I've come across on the subject. Myth of the Goddess: Evolution of an Image.

http://www.annebaring.com/images/abar_myth.jpg
0 Replies

michealjones

Sat 20 May, 2017 01:30 am
No single religion is wrong, Every religion is good and pure. Always People are wrong, religion is always right.
rosborne979

Sat 20 May, 2017 05:40 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Really warm here in San Diego. Has the snow melted in your yard yet?

Mostly a rainy and cool spring, but hot the last week.
reasoning logic

Sat 20 May, 2017 07:44 am
@newmoonnewmoon,
Quote:
There is a God. He has a son. A God also.

Quote:
And the story goes on.

YES IT DOES

0 Replies