How can we be sure that all religions are wrong?

reasoning logic

Sat 20 May, 2017 07:52 am
@michealjones,
Quote:
Every religion is good and pure. Always People are wrong, religion is always right.

I'm trying to understand your logical reasoning. You are suggesting that if a person comes up with a religion that has a sole purpose to exploit his/her followers this person is a bad person and has done wrong but the religion he/she has concocted will always be wright?
cicerone imposter

Sat 20 May, 2017 10:36 am
@reasoning logic,
I agree with this article.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/06/17/100-religious-groups-doing-good_n_5460739.html
neologist

Sat 20 May, 2017 12:45 pm
@rosborne979,
I hiked all over New Hampshire in my youth (in the last millennium). This time of year, many snow patches. I miss the Pemigewasset trips.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Sat 20 May, 2017 06:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I agree with this article.

There are people doing good and bad among any group that I can think of.

It is nice to see people doing positive things.
0 Replies

2ndGenONE

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 11:02 pm
@reasoning logic,
We can't be sure that there is no god, but if we ever find a god we'll have to pull him outside by the ear and make sure he knows how we feel about hiding from us for billions of years.
0 Replies

RJ8541

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 09:44 am
All religions and deities are just made up. Religion is merely organized fantasy.
Religion is mostly just a system that enslaves, controls, and indoctrinates people. Much of the most horrific atrocities throughout history have been committed by and in the name of religions. But religions organizations in modern times do many good things for their communities

All religions are just myths and superstition. They have all been made up, most just taking their beliefs and doctrines from other religions that have preceded them. A thorough study of the history of religion shows how they have all just been made up, starting from the most basic ancient rituals, up to the organized religions of modern times.
cicerone imposter

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 03:12 pm
@RJ8541,
Religions have been made up, but the biggest problem we have is that humans are prone to believe in them. It's in our DNA to believe in some god(s). That's the reason gods have been created long before the christian god was created - only 2,000 years ago while humans have existed for 200,000 years. What will christians say about all those lost souls before Jesus came on the scene, and they believed in their gods that had nothing to do with their Jesus-god. Sorry?
"Thou shalt have no other gods before me." Bible: kill unbelievers.
reasoning logic

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 06:11 pm
@RJ8541,
Quote:
Religion is merely organized fantasy

Organized psychosis? similar to members of the DNC and RNC?
cicerone imposter

Mon 31 Jul, 2017 08:24 pm
@reasoning logic,
The timeline of those organized fantasies:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_religion
0 Replies

bjacky

Tue 29 Aug, 2017 11:12 am
@reasoning logic,
We are all children of God. We all lived with Him before this life. We all felt the joy and happiness of living with Him. When we came to this life, God gave us amnesia so we could learn. The prophet Alma stated:

"And now behold, if it were possible that our first parents could have gone forth and partaken of the tree of life they would have been forever miserable, having no preparatory state; and thus the plan of redemption would have been frustrated, and the word of God would have been void, taking none effect.

But behold, it was not so; but it was appointed unto men that they must die; and after death, they must come to judgment, even that same judgment of which we have spoken, which is the end.

And after God had appointed that these things should come unto man, behold, then he saw that it was expedient that man should know concerning the things whereof he had appointed unto them;

Therefore he sent angels to converse with them, who caused men to behold of his glory.

And they began from that time forth to call on his name; therefore God conversed with men, and made known unto them the plan of redemption, which had been prepared from the foundation of the world; and this he made known unto them according to their faith and repentance and their holy works.

Wherefore, he gave commandments unto men, they having first transgressed the first commandments as to things which were temporal, and becoming as gods, knowing good from evil, placing themselves in a state to act, or being placed in a state to act according to their wills and pleasures, whether to do evil or to do good—" Alma 12: 26 - 31

So here, it states that the knowledge of God and his will and His laws came about through man's faith, repentance and their holy works. So one person may receive more instruction than another because of their faith, repentance and holy works.

From this, it can be gathered that individuals and religions and religious leaders received inspiration up to the extent of their faith. As a result, we have many different religions. This does not mean that all religions are wrong. If they teach principles as to what God teaches then they are right as to those taught principles.

There may be some religions that are more dialed-in as far as doctrine and truth than others but the people practicing those doctrines may not be the most righteous people.

The children of Israel were given a lot of light and truth but they decided to reject it and go to other religions that had a lesser-portion of light and truth and because of that, God took away the light and truth from them for not exercising what they were given.

The more one exercises their faith and repentance the more light and truth is given. The more a nation exercises this, the more they become closer to the wholeness of truth and the more the doctrine and knowledge becomes uniform.

The prophet Enoch exercised so much faith and repentance that he was able to knock down essentially all truth from heaven to earth and had the faith to teach those around him and convert them to the truth to the point where the people were of one heart and of one mind and there was no poor among them.

That is the ultimate religion in essence which all prophets have strived for. A lot of it has to do with the faith of one person such as Enoch, but it also has a lot to do with the faith of the listener.

The truth can be taught to me all day long, but I can reject it because of my lack of faith and repentance, my pride, my bias, my hypocrisy, my focus on the world, ect.

Jesus Christ himself was among individuals who were too focused on the length of the borders of their garments what should and should not be done on the Sabbath, their religious prominence within the community that they rejected the Son of God and his teachings and instead clung to the teachings of their fathers which had been diluted through focusing so much on the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law.

So if all religions are wrong right now in this day, it is because there is no one exercising faith and repentance. I do not believe this is the case, the fact that this forum exists is the existence of faith. If more and more people exercise faith and repentance more and more religions will become more right. More and more people will start clinging to the truth.

Some people might be disenchanted with religion because they see the hypocrisy and the lack of faith and repentance. We all have to start somewhere though.

I think it is important to keep one's heart open to the possibility that there may be another religion that may have more light and truth from someone's exercising their faith and repentance and to keep one's mind open to other people's thoughts on God.

I especially think it is important to openly talk about God with other people with the mindset to figure out the eternities and not the mindset to win a game of "chess" with someone else and their beliefs. We can build off each other and ultimately find the truth if all are exercising faith and repentance.

The fact that it is now taboo to talk about God in government, school and workplace settings is frightening. The lack of faith and repentance is showing its mark. The ultimate anti-religion is no religion.

God lives. He is there. I know that. Nothing can dissuade me from what I know through my exercise of faith and repentance. I can feel Him when I pray and I can feel Him when I study His word. The times when I have felt His presence extend past just a mere coincidence.

There have been times when I felt like I was in despair that life was too hard and I just wanted to let everything in front of me pass. EVERYTIME when I was at my ultimate lows and just wanted to give up on what lay ahead a surge would come into me of peace. He would let me know that He was still there and assure me with his spirit.

Instead of knocking all religions, it is best to find commonality and be grateful that both are striving toward the search to God, whether it be Muslim, Jew or Christian and maybe someday we can understand the eternal laws of God and follow them and obey them and be of one heart and one mind with no poor among us.
bjacky

Tue 29 Aug, 2017 11:28 am
@bjacky,
In addition, the prophet Alma also taught this about knowing the mysteries of God in the same chapter:

"It is given unto many to know the mysteries of God; nevertheless they are laid under a strict command that they shall not impart only according to the portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men, according to the heed and diligence which they give unto him.

And therefore, he that will harden his heart, the same receiveth the lesser portion of the word; and he that will not harden his heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full.

And they that will harden their hearts, to them is given the lesser portion of the word until they know nothing concerning his mysteries; and then they are taken captive by the devil, and led by his will down to destruction. Now this is what is meant by the chains of hell." - Alma 12: 9 - 11
0 Replies

bjacky

Tue 29 Aug, 2017 11:36 am
@cicerone imposter,
25 Wherefore, he has given a law; and where there is no law given there is no punishment; and where there is no punishment there is no condemnation; and "Where there is no condemnation the mercies of the Holy One of Israel have claim upon them, because of the atonement; for they are delivered by the power of him.

For the atonement satisfieth the demands of his justice upon all those who have not the law given to them, that they are delivered from that awful monster, death and hell, and the devil, and the lake of fire and brimstone, which is endless torment; and they are restored to that God who gave them breath, which is the Holy One of Israel.

But wo unto him that has the law given, yea, that has all the commandments of God, like unto us, and that transgresseth them, and that wasteth the days of his probation, for awful is his state!" - 2 Nephi 9:27
cicerone imposter

Tue 29 Aug, 2017 02:54 pm
@bjacky,
The bible doesn't make any sense. It was written just for the populations within their continent, leaving out most of the world. It fails on logic.
Leadfoot

Tue 29 Aug, 2017 04:57 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That ain't the bible CI.

So how do you know so much about the bible when you don't even know what's in it and what isn't.
cicerone imposter

Tue 29 Aug, 2017 05:02 pm
@Leadfoot,
I was a christian before I became an atheist. All my siblings are still christians. Here. Wrap some of these inconsistencies in the bible - if you can. You're probably blind to them, because logic is not your strong suit.
https://infidels.org/library/modern/donald_morgan/contradictions.html

Quote:
GE 4:15, DT 32:19-27, IS 34:8 God is a vengeful god.
EX 15:3, IS 42:13, HE 12:29 God is a warrior. God is a consuming fire.
EX 20:5, 34:14, DT 4:24, 5:9, 6:15, 29:20, 32:21 God is a jealous god.
LE 26:7-8, NU 31:17-18, DT 20:16-17, JS 10:40, JG 14:19, EZ 9:5-7 The Spirit of God is (sometimes) murder and killing.
NU 25:3-4, DT 6:15, 9:7-8, 29:20, 32:21, PS 7:11, 78:49, JE 4:8, 17:4, 32:30-31, ZP 2:2 God is angry. His anger is sometimes fierce.
2SA 22:7-8 (KJV) "I called to the Lord; ... he heard my voice; ... The earth trembled and quaked, ... because he was angry. Smoke came from his nostrils. Consuming fire came from his mouth, burning coals blazed out of it."
EZ 6:12, NA 1:2, 6 God is jealous and furious. He reserves wrath for, and takes revenge on, his enemies. "... who can abide in the fierceness of his anger? His fury is poured out like fire, and rocks are thrown down by him."
2CO 13:11, 14, 1JN 4:8, 16 God is love.
GA 5:22-23 The fruit of the Spirit of God is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

Timeline of religion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_religion
Leadfoot

Tue 29 Aug, 2017 06:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
That's what I mean CI. You seem to get all your bible info from websites. You also get your conclusions about it from them.

You sound troubled by the concept of a God who has an adgenda that does not allow you veto power over it, a God who does not allow your life (or anyone else's) to stand in the way of it. That's just one of the perks of being God.

As you noted, God is a hard ass, not a pussy. He is dead serious about establishing a society based on his nature of love. If you get in the way of his plans, you're dead - there is no contradiction here.

BTW, being a 'christian' doesn't mean you know anything about the bible. Religious people often say totally ridiculous and untrue things about it.
reasoning logic

Tue 29 Aug, 2017 06:39 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
BTW, being a 'christian' doesn't mean you know anything about the bible. Religious people often say totally ridiculous and untrue things about it.

Are you a Christian Leadfoot? Do you have a religion? Islam or Christian?
cicerone imposter

Tue 29 Aug, 2017 09:25 pm
@Leadfoot,
"Veto power over god!" ROFLMAO I don't need websites to determine that no god exists. Only people who can believe in an invisible god are the troubled ones. Their imagination is not logical. Q1: How does god look to you? Q2: Has anyone seen god? Q3: How come there are so many gods created by different cultures? Q4: Why were gods created thousands of years before the christian god? Q5: When you talk to god, has he ever answered you? What does his voice sound like? Oh! It's all in your mind. LOL Q6: Why was the christian god created only 2000 years ago? What happened to all the humanity before your jesus came upon the scene? Q7: Why has the bible so many errors, omissions and contradictions? 1. Thou shalt not kill. 2. You must kill all nonbelievers of me! You must stone them to death. Noting like a loving god, heh? LOL 3. Are you scared, you'll go to eternal hell? CLUE: Humans are evolved from primates. That's according to science. You do know what science is, I trust?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_human_evolution

Quote:

Deuteronomy 13:6-10New International Version (NIV)

6 If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, 7 gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), 8 do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them. 9 You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people. 10 Stone them to death, because they tried to turn you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
Leadfoot

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 07:53 am
@cicerone imposter,
What part of " If you get in the way of his plans, you're dead - there is no contradiction here." do you not understand?

In effect, you keep asking me to apologize for the bible or God because he is willing for men to die. I have no intention of doing that. I have already explained why there is no contradiction in a God who loves mankind but is not willing to let his plan be distroyed by any man or men, they are expendable - get over it. If you have a logical counter argument to that I'd like to hear it.

As you have often pointed out, it is man who invented your multiple 'gods' but that in no way eliminates the genuine article. Your particular 'God' appears to be 'science'. Science is wonderful stuff, but it ain't God. In the past I've had my own false god, no shame in that, we all make mistakes.

Leadfoot

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 08:04 am
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
Are you a Christian Leadfoot? Do you have a religion? Islam or Christian?

I don't have a religion, don't go to church on Sunday and have no religious rituals. That's why I simply call myself a theist.

"Am I a Christian" is harder to answer. I'd have to know what the term means to you. I'm not crazy about being stuck with a label though. But yes, I believe in the historical reality of Christ. To believe it was all a story made up by Paul, the Roman government or the Catholic Church in order to control people is just silly.