American Artists On View At the Whitney

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:52 am
Ohmigod, thank you JD for providing that link. We have tickets to go to the Whitney the Sunday after next and I was dreading it. The Biennial wears me out. It's visually exhausting.

Has it really been two years since the last one?

Colorific: "It is steeped in conflicted nostalgia."

Yeah, that's where I live, New York, where we tear the buildings down but save a brick from the demolition. We put a label on it that says "Old Deekman Building, 37th and 3rd." Two years later, we peer across the avenue as someone asks us what used to be there. "Some bank or something" we mutter, "Boy, am I starved."

Joe
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 08:11 pm
That happens all over, Joe. Sorry I didn't meet both of you on my NY trip. Hoping for a next time, first of all that there is one, and that we can get together then. It was strange being there and yet familiar. As Joanne and some know, I lived there when I was eight, which was 1950, for just a year. Saw iconic New York and of course didn't know it at the time; have sense memory, not all that specific, for the city. I loved being there again.

On the other hand, a few weeks ago my New York Times online sent me. as usual, the sunday edition of the times and there was a real estate blurb with a house in Riverdale. Sheesh, I know I was in that house. Or think I know. A girl in my class lived there and I was invited over after school once or twice. I remember listening to Sargent Preston of the Yukon with the family in their living room.

Memory is interesting, no?

So, back to the Whitney...
0 Replies