American Artists On View At the Whitney

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 10:56 pm
2004 Whitney Biennial Exhibition - on view March 11 – May 30, 2004

Featuring the latest work by emerging and established American artists, the 2004 Biennial Exhibition is the Whitney Museum of American Art’s signature survey of contemporary American art. The seventy-second in the series of Annual and Biennial exhibitions inaugurated in 1932 by Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney, the 2004 Biennial will be on view from March through May 2004.

Click on this link and have some visual and audio fun2004 Whitney Biennial
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,285 • Replies: 21
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:28 pm
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:-HA0_4pEl4YJ:www.panix.com/~fluxus/FluX/ESH_Jpgs/Techno_Buddha.JPG

The Techno Buddha
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:31 pm
aloha jd, how's life?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:44 pm
Aloha pueo, life is good for this howlie. How is life for you and where have you been?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:49 pm
life in general been pretty good, still hanging around here bothering these nice people Very Happy

you texans sure move around, my wife's sister just moved from ft. worth to killeen(sp?).
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:57 pm
Well then you must visit it is just a hop skip and a jump the Tejas. Maybe you can come to out October gathering in Houstin?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:59 pm
i would love to there, don't know for sure though.

great link by the way.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 12:02 am
I'snt it just the best I loved it so much. Finally we get to the art part.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 06:01 pm
i wonder if techno buddah will use the computer or just contemplate it's existence.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 07:30 pm
Me too, we will have to what for JLN or another Sensei to tell us.

Yikes this sounds more like something or the spiritual philosophy forum. Wait maybe are is both spiritual and philosophical.

What do you think?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 07:30 pm
Me too, we will have to what for JLN or another Sensei to tell us.

Yikes this sounds more like something or the spiritual philosophy forum. Wait maybe art is both spiritual and philosophical.

What do you think?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 07:33 pm
yes, both.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:36 pm
Art is everything to me and I see it almost every where these days. Today I found myself sketching the faces in the rocks imbedded in the cement - hmm.

However I should add that all the rocks or most rocks in Tejas are fossils or contain fossils which makes them alive for me. The faces were very reminicesant of Picasso's Les Demoiselles d'Avignon
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:39 pm
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:lqkM5itH8DgJ:www.incompetech.com/Images/art/avignon.jpeg
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:04 pm
Now back the the Whitney

http://www.artdaily.com/imagenes/2004/03/13/whitney.jpgSue de Beer
Hans & Grete, 2002
Postmasters Gallery, New York

Quote:
Adam D. Weinberg, the Whitney’s Alice Pratt Brown Director, said, "The Biennial is a great tradition that goes back to the Museum’s earliest roots. This gathering of new and established artists plunges us into the present moment in American contemporary art while simultaneously anticipating the future. Perhaps the Whitney’s defining exhibition, the Biennial is a requisite, periodic report from the front. It’s a means of discovery and of recognition, and a reaffirmation of the Museum’s commitment to American artists and to America’s cultural life. We are deeply grateful to Altria, Banc of America Securities, and The Brown Foundation for helping to make this year’s Biennial possible." The exhibition incorporates an extensive film and video program, comprising hand-processed films, documentaries, performative film presentations, and narrative works by three generations of filmmakers and artists, from Jonas Mekas and Bradley Eros to Liisa Roberts, Andrea Bowers, and James Fotopoulos. The Biennial also features new performances by artists including Marina Abramovic, Antony and the Johnsons, Noemie Lafrance, and Los Super Elegantes.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 11:19 pm
truth
Joanne, since I can't download your Whitney link, I can't imaging what the "Techno Buddha" is about.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 09:29 am
Sorry the link did not work for you JLN. Try putting the URL in your search browser: http://www.whitney.org/ and here is another one: http://www.whitney.org/artport/exhibitions/index.shtml

You will need to download the flash 5 at the site in order to see and hear the exhibit in all its glory. This is a process similar to the one for the old A2k chat room were we had to down load some kind of flash dealy to get into chat.

As for Techno Budda I cannot fight him now, hmm, was up late and maybe he does not really exist. Actually it has to do with an intergration of the tcechnical integration of the philosopical issues surrounding the use of audio and the visual in art. I hope this helps.

Quote:
An Intergenerational Conversation

Several generations of artists are featured in the exhibition, in a conversation that reflects a number of overlapping trends:
An engagement with the artmaking, popular culture, and politics of the late 1960s and early 1970s;
The construction of fantastic worlds, uncanny spaces, and new narrative forms, often incorporating psychedelia, the Gothic, and the apocalyptic;
A prevalence of abstract and figurative paintings and drawings as well as hand-processed films, frequently involving obsessive working of line, surface, and image.
Ranging from the apocalyptic to the ethereal, the fantastic to the political, and the sensual to the obsessive, many of the works convey an underlying sense of anxiety and uncertainty about the world today. The Biennial artists have drawn from a variety of sources including music, pulp fiction, the occult, recent and past art history, cinema, and current political events. A direct engagement with materials and process, paralleled by an embracing of ornament and surface, is evident throughout the show, which includes strong groupings of painting, drawing, printmaking, sculpture, installation, video, filmmaking, photography, performance, and digital art.
0 Replies

colorific

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 07:18 pm
Haven't been up there yet; but today I surveyed 57th Street. What is anxiously driving me to the Whitney is what I read in the review. Kimmelman writes (NYTimes, March 12): "... But the real message of what's on view seems to be that deeming painting or drawing alive, then dead, then ressurected, while it certainly helps art dealers move product, no longer bears a relation to a good deal of what's being made..."

This suggests to me that finally there is some semblance near the upper crust of the art world that "what is being made" has relevance over what is selling or what art speculatively is believed to set some fashion like trend; and has always been my hope that content may well move into the forefront in my lifetime as an artist. I see this happening in many of the galleries in NY. Although there seems to be no glamour around the promotion and reviewing, there seems to be a respectful mood, artistically speaking here, in a city that is economically realling from the blow of 9-11-2001. Glitter, glamour, snootyness are kind of wavering as the norm and there seems to be a trend towards, what many writers use, "ecstatic engagement" in the process of artmaking. As if this is what the humility of the city may need.
Another interesting point made by Kimmelman is that: "...there is a broad emphasis on materialityfor its own sake: on handmade objects, maybe for a response to a digital overload of virtual imagery...which convey a studiously casual, more- is- more additive philosophy..."
"..It suggests a longing for something big, genuine and heartfelt. It is refined but not original. You might say that much of youthful art in the biennial conveys a failure to locate the object of its desire. It is steeped in conflicted nostalgia..."

I shall pay the exhibit a visit, as this all reflects what I feel on much of the gallery scene today.
0 Replies

colorific

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 07:21 pm
of course, my appetite is wet to see the techno budda
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 07:21 am
will be back later on the Whitney when I've had time to look properly

I would love to see the work you did on the faces in the stone - i can imagine them having a Demoiselles d'Avignon feel - they sound interesting.
0 Replies