Vocabulary 'elsewhere'

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 07:00 am
Hi English teachers,
are my sentences acceptable?Thank you in advance.
I have searched here and elsewhere in the house. However, I still can't find my purse.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,110 • Replies: 12
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Loh Jane
dalehileman

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 12:01 pm
@Loh Jane,
Yea Jane they're acceptable. Other possible versions:

I have searched here and elsewhere in the house but still can't find my purse

I've searched for my purse around here and everywhere else in the house, yet can't find it

I have searched for it not just hereabout but all over the house. However, I still can't find my purse

Having looked for it not just here in the immediate vicinity but throughout the entire house, I still can't find my purse.
0 Replies

roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 12:28 pm
@Loh Jane,
It's acceptable, but sounds both vague and odd. 'Elsewhere' sounds like you looked in a few different places, but not everywhere. If you looked everywhere, say so.
0 Replies

Loh Jane

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 08:08 am
Thank you all. I don't know which answer to select. Because both of you have good English.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 10:12 am
@Loh Jane,
Thank you Jane. I for one am impressed by your desire and determination to learn the world's biggest and possibly most involved tongue. If I haven't asked you before, without revealing anything critical to your ID, I wonder if you'd tell us something about yourself; age, sex (presumably f), ed., nationality, work, family, motives, etc
Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 10:37 am
Loh Jane, i'd say Roger gave you the best answer.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 02:14 pm
@Loh Jane,
Quote:
I have searched here and elsewhere in the house. However, I still can't find my purse.

Quote:
It's acceptable, but sounds both vague and odd. 'Elsewhere' sounds like you looked in a few different places, but not everywhere. If you looked everywhere, say so.

Roger is demanding a false precision, something that he, and every other native speaker on the planet, does not always follow. He is remembering something from a long ago English lesson and using it, pedantically, to try to impress.

If you haven't looked everywhere then can say what you have said, Jane. Your second sentence doesn't have to entail that you have, at this moment of speaking, looked everywhere.

0 Replies

Loh Jane

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 05:21 pm
@dalehileman,
Hi all,yes I am female,I am a Singaporean,I work for a transport company and my age is below 25.I am envious of your English.Furthermore I appreciate it too.I hope my English can be as good as yours one day.However, this must be a dream because nobody speaks English to me here.Please correct my English frequently,thanks.
roger

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 06:04 pm
@Loh Jane,
Heh! I wish my Spanish was 10% as good as your English.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 04:23 am
@Loh Jane,
It's more natural to say, 'I've looked all over the/my house, still can't find my purse.'

What do you mean by purse? It has a different meaning depending on whether or not you're in America or Britain. In Britain a purse just refers to something that's just used for money, like a wallet, but primarily used by women. You could fit it in a pocket.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/382/626/467/467626382_609.JPG

What Americans call a purse we would call a handbag. It's a lot bigger and holds all manner of things, not just money.

http://www.heruni.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/coach-ergo-patent-handbag-pink.jpg
Loh Jane

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 08:38 am
@izzythepush,
Hi izzzythepush thanks for your explanation.
My purse means something that is for carrying money.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 09:56 am
@Loh Jane,
Singapore has historically got closer links to the UK than the USA, which is probably why your English is closer to mine than an American.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 10:01 am
@Loh Jane,
Quote:
I hope my English can be as good as yours one day
Jane I'm truly flattered
0 Replies