Does "to shadow" mean "to follow"?

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 12:32 am

Context:
So far, there have been no foreigners, but he said the possibility cannot be ruled out in the future.

Programs usually last three years, and disciples are required to shadow and learn from their masters during their routine work of clinical practice or research at least one and a half days a week, Wang said.

Meanwhile, disciples have to hand in regular reports on their clinical experiences and studies of classic TCM texts for the masters to comment on.

More:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2013-03/22/content_16333272.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 756 • Replies: 7
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
roger
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 01:04 am
@oristarA,
Yes. To follow their every move, and be prepared to do exactly the same thing.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 01:19 am
a detective will shadow a suspect, watching him from a distance and not interacting with the suspect, not even letting him know hes being followed. This is a bit more interactive. The master knows the learner is there, looking over his shoulder and presumably is pointing things out to him so he can learn, telling him why he's doing something in a particular way, telling the disciple what he's figured out about the case, and why he's treating it the way he is. there's probably a bit more going on than just "following".
oristarA

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 09:00 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

a detective will shadow a suspect, watching him from a distance and not interacting with the suspect, not even letting him know hes being followed. This is a bit more interactive. The master knows the learner is there, looking over his shoulder and presumably is pointing things out to him so he can learn, telling him why he's doing something in a particular way, telling the disciple what he's figured out about the case, and why he's treating it the way he is. there's probably a bit more going on than just "following".

What I understood from is that "a master shadows a disciple" is a natural usage while "disciples are required to shadow (a master/masters)" is a bit awkward.
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 09:11 am
No, you've got it backwards. The person who shadows someone is the one who is following (maybe it came from standing in the shadows or standing in someone's shadow, i.e. behind them--but maybe that's a faux etymology).
McTag

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 04:23 pm

To follow, watch, listen and learn.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 04:44 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
The person who shadows someone is the one who is following

To shadow someone is to follow them as their shadow does, i.e. closely.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 09:19 pm
@oristarA,
Quote:
What I understood from [what?] is that "a master shadows a disciple" is a natural usage while "disciples are required to shadow (a master/masters)" is a bit awkward.

Semantically and grammatically, either could be used, Ori, but obviously who shadows who would change.
0 Replies