Does "they" in "that they are attacking" refer to "certain bacteria"?

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 03:12 am

Context:
Recent research has fundamentally undercut this position. Specifically, comparison of protein sequences from multiple bacteria has demonstrated that several components of the flagellum are related to an entirely different apparatus used by certain bacteria to inject toxins into other bacteria that they are attacking.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 461 • Replies: 4
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 08:13 am
@oristarA,

yes...
0 Replies

dalehileman
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 11:05 am
@oristarA,
Phil is right of course Ori, but nonetheless a good q because technically it says the toxins are attacking
McTag

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 12:40 pm
@dalehileman,

No it doesn't.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 05:32 pm
@McTag,
I'll admit McTag it's a stretch but "they" dangles just a little so if we're wondering for instance how one bacterium could poison another then we might assume you have reference to "an entirely different apparatus used by certain bacteria that they [the toxins] are attacking, to inject toxins into other bacteria," it being unclear whether the "certain" bacterium suffers either one

In other words, an apparatus used by certain bacterium under attack by toxins is used in return to infect (or at least inject) other bacteria, perhaps using a different agent

It's like saying, an entirely new and different airplane used by the Germans comes under attack by Armenians and French using poison gas, it counterattacks these forces by the same means
0 Replies