same day, different ****
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 12:00 pm
has anybody mentioned shinola?
roger

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 12:18 pm
@Rockhead,
I heard Shinola was making bicycles in Detroit. They seem uncomfortable with the association.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 12:53 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

has anybody mentioned shinola?

Not yet, but you reminded me of a phrase I heard from my dad. At that time I didn't know what shinola was and dad said it was shoe polish. I don't know if they still make shinola, but learning what the stuff actually was, suddenly made the phrase "he doesn't know **** from shinola" understandable.
hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 12:54 pm
@Region Philbis,
Same ****, new flies
hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 01:10 pm
@Rockhead,
Shin old is very American, but somehow I've heard it. In the seventies another American expression that used to sound odd to me ears was 'curb your dog'. Or was it kerb? So glad Sherlock got a **** mention.

Love to know haw no **** Sherlock started. Did they try Einstein first, then think alliteration would be good so tried no **** Schopenhauer for a while before settling on the two syllable instantly recognisable fictional polymath?

I do go on and on about ****.
hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 01:11 pm
@hingehead,
New ****, same flies
JTT

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 01:19 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
At that time I didn't know what shinola was and dad said it was shoe polish. I don't know if they still make shinola, but learning what the stuff actually was, suddenly made the phrase "he doesn't know **** from shinola" understandable.

Millions upon millions of people know what the idiom means and they don't have the foggiest notion of know what 'shinola' means.

This is a fine example that points to the genius that is language and a further fine example that learning about language isn't a necessity for learning to use a language.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 01:25 pm
@hingehead,
You can travel from Maine to Florida and learn so many different expressions for the same thing, it will drive you bat-**** crazy. (I'm sorry, I've just wanted to say that since this **** started). I am in heaven, there is no end to the usage. That's some wack ****.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 01:30 pm
Has anybody ever told you to go **** in your hat? Ok, I know it's meant to offend/dismiss someone, but how the hell did that become an expression.
JTT

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 01:33 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
but how the hell did that become an expression.

Does it matter? Do you think that you are going to actually discover the reason?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 01:42 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
but how the hell did that become an expression.

Does it matter? Do you think that you are going to actually discover the reason?

Of course not you moron. You're a regular party in a can.
JTT

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 02:27 pm
@glitterbag,
So much for ignore and the liars who pretend to make use of it.

You ask an idiotic question, agree that it was an idiotic question, GB, but you think I'm the moron.
hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 02:44 pm
@hingehead,
Geez ipad spell check is ****. Shin old for shinola is forgivable but haw instead of how? Still it did tell me how to spell Schopenhauer, so not completely ****.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 02:47 pm
@glitterbag,
Ooh, the ****'s gonna fly, I'll bet.
timur

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 02:50 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
**** is the tofu of cursing and can be molded to whichever condition the speaker desires. Hot as ****. Windy as ****. I myself was confounded as ****...”
hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 02:53 pm
@timur,
There is another word that my brain keeps sticking in **** Timur - and it works just as well.

Cussing is strange.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 02:58 pm
@JTT,
The magic of the ignore button is that you can skip over posts from folks who try your patience AND you can tap on the ignored user and view just one comment. I'll admit I was curious that you posted after my go **** in your hat offering, so I checked to see if I was missing any great pearls of wisdom. Sadly, you join a thread about (of all things) how many ways can you incorporate the word **** in conversation. Let me say, and say with great admiration, you are crazier that a **** house rat. I'm sure you will feel a need to contribute, but don't put a lot of effort into it. You're still on ignore, but don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Ignore is a valuable tool when you don't want to be distracted from the dull and predictable but is reversible when your tolerance level is higher. I almost forgot, yes, I do think you are a moron and a humorless one at that.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 03:26 pm
@glitterbag,
Geez, Glitter, I don't have JTT on 'ignore.' I'd be missing too many good belly-laughs if I did that. This is a person with aboslutely no sense of humor, which just makes its posts all the funnier.