I've Been Thinking ****

Roberta

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 08:07 am
Number 2.
Advocate

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 08:17 am
This is a shitty thread. I'm out of here!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 08:08 pm
@Roberta,
Potty mouth.
Eva

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 08:47 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:

Was it something like this?

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee307/edgarblythe/cavfancier.gif

That's it!!!

Thank you! I can rest now.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 10:09 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Has anybody mentioned "hot ****" yet, like I hired a hot **** lawyer

Is it 'hot ****' lawyer or '**** hot' lawyer?

Isn't 'hot ****' used like,

She really thinks she's hot ****.

Maybe regional differences.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 10:20 pm
@hingehead,
Doody head
hingehead

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 01:19 am
I wonder why you would kick the **** out of someone - were they constipated? Some sort of foot-operated Heimlich manouevre?

And wipe that **** eating grin off your face. Wouldn't you just wipe the **** off your face? And if you were eating **** wouldn't be about die (as previously mentioned) so why would you be grinning? I guess because you couldn't give a ****.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 02:11 am
@JTT,
Give us an example using "shitting" as a gerund, please.
That would be the helpful, useful and informative response rather than the purely negative one you offered.
Joe(pretty please with sugar on top)Nation
Ragman

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 04:16 am
@Joe Nation,
I **** you not!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 06:17 am
@Roberta,
Quote:
Doody head
poopity head...
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 01:08 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
Give us an example using "shitting" as a gerund, please.
That would be the helpful, useful and informative response rather than the purely negative one you offered.
Joe(pretty please with sugar on top)Nation

You're too sensitive, Joe. I gave one. It was in keeping with the theme of the thread.

Shitting people is not a good idea.

Here's some really helpful information, though, it is, I must admit, slightly off topic. But helpful librarian that he is, I don't think HingeHead will be too piqued at this.

Quote:
Gerunds vs. participles
September 19, 2010 @ 8:14 am Β· Filed by Mark Liberman under Syntax

In some comments on yesterday's "Possessive with gerund" post, the traditional distinction between gerunds and present participles was assumed. Because all English "gerunds" and all English "present participles" have exactly the same form, namely VERB+ing, and because the space of constructions where these forms appear is large and not obviously subject to binary division, my few attempts as a schoolboy to distinguish the two in English were mostly random guesses. I always suspected that the teacher's answer key had no better foundation.

Therefore I was happy when Geoffrey Pullum and Rodney Huddleston, in the Cambridge Grammar of the English Language, presented a clear and compelling argument that "A distinction between gerund and present participle can't be sustained" (pp. 80-83 and 1220-1222). They therefore use the merged category "gerund-participle". I hope that most of you will be as happy about this development as I was.

The core examples of the present participle are its uses as a modifier or predicative in sentences like those given in CGEL 3 [14]:

The train is now approaching Platform 3.
The train approaching Platform 3 is the 11.20 to Bath.
He threw it in the path of an approaching train.

The core examples of the gerund are its uses as the verbal head of a noun-like construction in sentences like those in CGEL 3 [19]:

Destroying the files was a serious mistake.
I regret destroying the files.

CGEL:

Historically the gerund and present participle of traditional grammar have different sources, but in Modern English, the forms are identical. No verb shows any difference in form in the constructions of [14] and [19], not even be. The historical difference is of no relevance to the analysis of the current inflectional system […] This grammar also takes the view that even from the point of view of syntax (as opposed to inflection) the distinction between gerund and present participle is not viable, and we will therefore also not talk of gerund and present participle constructions […]

I'll sketch CGEL's grammatical arguments in a later post β€” or perhaps Geoff Pullum will step in. But for now, I thought I'd just put the idea on the table, for the sake of everyone who was as baffled by gerundology as I was.

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=2639
0 Replies

Angie89

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 03:29 pm
@hingehead,
Lawl, Well life is sometimes shitty. So just live with it!
hingehead

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 05:46 pm
@Angie89,
I could live in a shithouse - and get my **** together. Maybe play this song

While pondering who in this shithole should be on my **** list.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 05:59 pm
No doubt you predicted this one:

You've been talking **** for so long, why would anyone be surprised that you think it?
roger

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 06:00 pm
When I finally got my **** together, I forgot where I put it.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 06:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yep. About as creative as a dung beetle. I wonder why we don't call them **** beetles?
hingehead

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 06:09 pm
Hey, when did everything go to ****? When is it coming back?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 06:10 pm
Someone said 'There ain't **** on TV tonight' like that was a bad thing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 06:12 pm
You can always spot a fairy tale about to be told.

The old ones start out "Once upon a time. . . ."

In the oilfield, they start out "I **** you not. . . ."
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 07:18 pm
I suppose you could call that insect a **** beetle, but dung beetle sort of sings, like buffalo chips, cow pattie, and sheep dip. Very mellifluous, like deep doo doo!