Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 05:58 pm
This is not a thread in which criticism of JTT is expected or welcome.

I direct it to those members who, for one reason or another, feel compelled to engage with him.

Most of us (on the Left and on the Right) have relegated JTT to the realm of "Ignore." Even so we often find entire pages of a thread filled with the bare data of the Ignored.

When someone decides (foolishly I would argue) to spar with him, the pages multiply.

Trust me and numerous members of this forum, you will not be the magic one who who turns JTT from his obsession. What you will do is engage in an utterly fruitless and childish debate that will intrude upon an otherwise viable thread.

If because of principle you will never put someone on "Ignore," fine, just ignore him...please.

Newcomers to A2K are prime targets for JTT. Believe me, no matter how new and clever you are, you will not solve the problem that is JTT.

Not that it matters to anyone, but going forward I intend to similarly place on "Ignore" anyone who insists on engaging in a pointless debate with JTT. This will be something of a shame should the person, otherwise, be a decent contributor, never-the-less, I hope others will join me.

No one in this forum has had more of an opportunity to voice their opinions than JTT. He has done so ad nauseum and with no effect. Shunning him for the sake of the forum is not censorship, just sanity.

Anyone who engages in a lengthy back and forth with JTT is either:

1) Foolishly thinking they can introduce some moderation into his world
2) An egotist who like to see his comments in print.

Take your pick, but please spare us the meaningless pages.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 3,095 • Replies: 27

engineer

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 06:26 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I have had productive debates with JTT. If he is up for a civil debate on a topic I'm interested in, I would be foolish to pass up the opportunity.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 06:29 pm
@engineer,
Pat yourself on the back engineer, because you are the only one.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 06:37 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I gave it a go a few weeks ago and have since placed him on ignore. He is the only person I have placed on ignore since I started posting here over 8 years ago. A lot of people have pissed me off and made me mad but the lunacy that is JTT was to much to bare.

JTT

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 09:21 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
I gave it a go a few weeks ago and have since placed him on ignore.

MARCH 7, 2013 BY MARK TOKARSKI
Who is our friend, who is our enemy?

It is hard to reach Americans regarding America. It’s not a place so much as a mindset. For myself, I got out of that mindset quite by accident, but it also took some effort. When confronted by contradictions that made me uncomfortable, I did not stuff them away and ignore them. That act of confrontation of contradiction, as Rand famously said, is key to freedom of thought.

Here’s something to ponder: Two men, Nelson Mandela and Saddam Hussein, were on the US State Department terrorist watch list*.

One was removed from the list in 1982 and thereafter worked closely with the US in matters uf mutual interest, such as making war on neighboring countries and acts of terrorism involving using of poison gas to suppress uprisings.

The other was only removed from the list in 2008. Before that time he had to make special arrangements to travel to the US.

Guess which.

http://pieceofmind.wordpress.com/2013/03/07/who-is-our-friend-who-is-our-enemy/
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 04:56 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I've learned a lot from you and JTT. The trick is to know when to disengage from both of you.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 06:29 am
@panzade,
panzade wrote:

I've learned a lot from you and JTT. The trick is to know when to disengage from both of you.

I've learnt a lot from JTT, not so much Finn. Although Finn can be a lot of fun when he wants to. I disagree with most of what he says, but I'd still buy him a beer.
engineer

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 06:45 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
My thought is that you have three ways to interact with someone here. You can be constructive, destructive or just ignore them. You are suggesting we create a fourth approach, the boycott. If I read this correctly, you want those of us who don't choose to ignore JTT to change our behavior in order to make your experience better. That doesn't make sense to me. We all interact here to the extent we enjoy it. If someone wants to exchange personal insults with someone else, I may not particularly enjoy watching but I can walk away. What I can't do (and don't want to do) is to censor anyone else's speech. It feels like you are asking us to censor ourselves so that you will be happier here. That runs counter to my understanding of the spirit of A2K.
IRFRANK

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 06:45 am
@panzade,
Quote:

I agree. And I am learning that there is a necessary wisdom to this place as to when to respond and when not to. That applies to all threads and all posters. Myself included, I suppose. Yes, JTT clearly has an obsession. Perhaps it is justified.

I don't have anyone on ignore. I try to use judgment in each case. I find it difficult to blame someone else once I've made a fools of myself, even though that's the emotion at the time.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 11:14 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm headed to London at the end of April, maybe I can test that inclination.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 11:31 pm
@engineer,
Well engineer, you don't have to comply with my request. After all, it's a request not a demand. I do have an option if someone wants to fill up pages of a thread with their learning experience with JTT. I can put them on "ignore," as well. In fact, I've done this on one ocassion and it was very satisfying, but I would prefer not to do so with folks like you.

Actually, if anyone was engaged in a learning experience with JTT I wouldn't be ignoring either of them, but let's face it that isn't what is happening. It's always an exchange of the same pointless arguments (with quite a few insults).

You can call it censoring yourself ; I call it seeing reason, but either way you are right that I am asking that you desist to make my experience more pleasurable . Horrors, how facist of me!

However, if someone wants to go tit for tat with JTT they are surely free to do so. I'm flattered that anyone might think that a request from me amounts to some sort of power play, but obviously it couldn't be regardless of my intent. As I have zero power over any other member of A2K, I can't possibly be guilty of censoring anyone, and so your highminded response lacks some gas.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 22 Mar, 2013 11:34 pm
@panzade,
Out of curiosity, what have you learned from JTT?

I don't seek to teach anyone anything and so don't care what you might have learned from me.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 04:45 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Fine by me Finn, maybe you might want to step out of the capital and see what the rest of UK has to offer. Like 'Arthur's' round table, in reality Edward III's. Not only that, admission is free.
http://www.project-training-course.wanadoo.co.uk/winchester-2.jpg

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 01:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It took you some time to craft this bit of propaganda, Finn, and I'm certain that it has worked on some of the more feeble minded A2Kers, but it's still the same ole Finnian propaganda spiel.

Your next big test will be, "How do I craft a reply to this without giving it away that I peeked at this?"
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 06:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Well...the latest thing I learned from you Finn, is that nobody ever showed you how to graciously accept a compliment.
joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 08:46 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I have had productive debates with JTT. If he is up for a civil debate on a topic I'm interested in, I would be foolish to pass up the opportunity.

Anybody who responds to a thread started by JTT is simply asking to be insulted and abused. I'm not sure why anyone would willingly subject themselves to that.
JTT

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 12:09 pm
@joefromchicago,
That's pretty funny coming from you, Joe.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 02:59 pm
@joefromchicago,
Some of us have to learn the hard way I guess.
JTT

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 03:28 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Some of us have to learn the hard way I guess.

Yeah, it sucks to have to face the truth, doesn't it, Baldimo?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 03:45 pm
Discussion with people who are obsessed about a particular view is ultimately unproductive. The average person engaged in discussion is always willing to concede some points and attempt to find some common ground. The times that I conceded anything to JTT, I was met with further insults for not being as extreme as he is. The only way to find common ground with an obsessed person is to completely embrace that person's obsession.