dalehileman

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 02:59 pm
@Woollcott,
Wool you might try right-clicking on it
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2013 05:34 pm
@dalehileman,

that's how you might close it.

un-installing it removes the toolbar's software from your 'puter...
dalehileman

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2013 11:34 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:
that's how you might close it.
No, it gives you a choice of hiding or customizing (that's if he's using Mac)
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 07:23 pm
@Region Philbis,
I would like to uninstall the Yahoo toolbar. I am using Firefox
Woollcott

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 07:25 pm
@dalehileman,
I have -- but that just gives me "edit toolbar." I want to uninstall it.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 07:46 pm
@Woollcott,
Woollcott wrote:
I would like to uninstall the Yahoo toolbar. I am using Firefox

He asked you what operating system you were using. You told him the name of the toolbar and the browser.

Close Firefox completely. Go to Control Panel and then "Programs and Features" (Or possibly "Add or Remove Programs" if you have an operating system different than mine, say XP.) Look for "Yahoo Toolbar" in the list of installed programs, and uninstall it.
Woollcott

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 08:06 pm
@Ticomaya,
Many thanks. I think your answer was excellent. My problem is that when I tried to uninstall the program I got an "error message" that would not permit me to uninstall unless I were an "administrator -- but it did not tell me how to become an administrator. Obviously, it's an artificial detour. How do I become an administrator?
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 09:54 am
@Woollcott,
Try the following:

1. Go to Start Menu > All Programs > and right click on the Internet Explorer icon.

2. Choose "Run as Administrator" or “Run As ...", depending on your operating system. (If "Run As": Select the drop down to "Administrator" and then type in the administrator password, if needed.) Confirm your selection, as needed.

3. This should open up Internet Explorer, running as the Administrator.

4. Type "C:" in the address bar at the top, and Windows Explorer should open up (but you are in the Administrator account). [Note: If you have an icon on your desktop for Windows Explorer, you can just right-click it and open as Administrator -- same result]

5. Look for the Control Panel link on the left, and click it.

6. Try to Add / Remove the Yahoo Toolbar ... but this time you are in the Administrator account, so it may work for you.
Woollcott

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 06:58 pm
@Ticomaya,
Thanks again. You seem to know more about computers than most people. I followed your instructions, and clicked on "Run as Administrator." I got a "User Account Control" message from Microsoft wanting to know if I want "to allow the following program to make changes to this computer." The message is on behalf of Windows Internet Explorer 9. Am I now in Internet Explorer, running as the Administrator? Am I on the right track, so far?
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 27 Mar, 2013 07:49 pm
@Woollcott,
Yes, you are on the right track. You DO want to allow that program to make changes to your computer. That's what I meant by "Confirm your selection."
Woollcott

Reply Sun 31 Mar, 2013 07:50 pm
@Ticomaya,
First: Please let me know if this is becoming a pain-in-the-neck, & I will stop with the questions. I was able to get back to the "Install-Uninstall" page; went through the list again -- but this time Yahoo wasn't listed. Does this mean that they have attached their toolbar permanently to my start page?
0 Replies