Will Bush's references to God hurt or help his campaign?

Camille

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 08:46 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,655 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 08:54 am
It will, and it won't. I hear those words, and the hair stands up on the back of my neck. There are other folks who are totally pleased by references to God.

Personally, I think that most of the people who enjoy his references, the group of fundamentalists who want more religion in government, will be happy that Bush has brought a God back into the White House. But then again, those folks were probably pro-Bush to start with.

Where he will hurt, are with the uncommitted moderates, who may decide that they don't wnt a president who does not understand or respect the boundries between church and state. So ultimately, his religious fervor may just go against him.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 08:55 am
"Because of President Bush's vision and leadership, our nation is safer."

Condoleezza Rice in the Washington Post of Monday, March 22, 2004.

:wink:
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 09:02 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

precisely how many terrorist attacks have there been since 9/11 ?

Zero ? Correct. The statement is thus true.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 09:08 am
Stay tuned. We'll give you the answer in November.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 09:08 am
I wear an anti-elephant charm on my belt. I have never seen an elephant in central Ohio. I rest my case.
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 09:51 am
Fedral wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

precisely how many terrorist attacks have there been since 9/11 ?

Zero ? Correct. The statement is thus true.

If we use that logic, using only 9/11 as the standard, then we were much safer when Clinton was still in office. 9/11 happened on GW's watch.

What does Rice's comment have to do with God references by GW?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 10:07 am
Both. The Christian Right loves it. I think people who are devout will fall into both camps: first of all, a poll a few years back showed that Americans like the idea of their president attending church; the devout would especially be comforted by a worshipping and God fearing president, but, and this a big but, the devout who also are therefore anti-war or who hate hypocrisy will hate bush's sentiments. Atheists and agnostics are put off by what they see as pandering.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 10:24 am
I would be more comfortable if I thought he was just pandering. My fear is that he believes every word that comes out of his mouth.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 10:27 am
Quote:
I would be more comfortable if I thought he was just pandering. My fear is that he believes every word that comes out of his mouth.

Amen, Brother! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 02:35 pm
Seems to me that he is putting himself up there with god -

""God loves you, and I love you. And you can count on both of us as a powerful message that people who wonder about their future can hear.""

I know his English is very poor - but frankly I find that message very chilling - it almost seems delusional....

Would not most christians be worried about a person who seems to be seeing himself as a kind of god, too? Isn't that blasphemy, or lese majeste, or something?

I usually don't get into these frenzies about Bush - but that is the oddest phrase...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 02:38 pm
Such people got stoned in the Middle Ages. Or feahtered or tared. Mostly all the three.

Not to speak of what they did in the Old Testament. (There has recently a film started about that :wink: )
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 02:39 pm
My mom says she loves me and my wife says she loves me, but I have never once confused my wife for my mom.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 02:55 pm
Neither your wife nor your mother is in the Oval Office currently, though I suspect either might do a better job...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 02:59 pm
Well, Dlowen was commenting that christians may not be able to tell the difference between God and Bush. I was merely pointing out that most people (myself included) are able to tell the difference and aren't worried "about a person who seems to be seeing himself as a kind of god, too?"

I don't see how Bush is comparing himself to God in the quote Dlowen used though.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 03:27 pm
McGentrix wrote:
My mom says she loves me and my wife says she loves me, but I have never once confused my wife for my mom.

Then you must not be from West Virginia, McG. Those folks do it all the time. Smile
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 03:40 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Well, Dlowen was commenting that christians may not be able to tell the difference between God and Bush. I was merely pointing out that most people (myself included) are able to tell the difference and aren't worried "about a person who seems to be seeing himself as a kind of god, too?"

I think Dlowen was commenting that Bush may not be able to tell the difference between god and Bush
Quote:
I don't see how Bush is comparing himself to God in the quote Dlowen used though.

Try taking off the blinders.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 03:44 pm
Nah McGentrix - I was pointing out that I am becoming concerned that BUSH cannot tell the difference between himself and god.

I really think that was pretty plain, you know - but nemmind...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 03:46 pm
Really? Your blinders must be a different color than mine because you somehow see him comparing himself to God whereas I don't.

However, after studying this quote, I would like to see it in context...any links?
0 Replies

Brini Maxwell

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 04:54 pm
I love the way Bush positions himself as with God, and God with him. I never knew God was a supporter of war and violence.
0 Replies