Getting a job in a college environment without a degree

Camille

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 07:50 am
There is an Assistant Director of IT job that I am applying for at a college that fits my qualifications perfectly, except they want a degree that I don't have. I have more than enough actual experience, many technical training completions and some 26 college credits, but I've found that colleges in particular really are demanding on the degree issue.

I've found out who the position reports to and will go around the normal personnel system in addition to going through personnel, but does anyone have any ideas/experience with higher education hiring that could suggest things to make my experience stand out as better than having the required degree? Any particular suggestions for terminology or highlighting of specific skills that are more important in this environment?

TIA.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,163 • Replies: 4
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 10:09 am
I've found that having two master's degrees hasn't helped me one bit in the job market. Line up your credentials and apply and good luck.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 10:41 am
I suggest to make your resume as functional as possible. Lead with your skills and experience, with wording such as -
* Languages: HTML, XML, Cobol
* Created in-house application for bill payments
* Administered Oracle 8i database with over 1,000,000 rows of data, for the marketing department
* Certified in MS Project Management. Certification #: ___

etc.

The idea is, here's my experience; it's varied, it's germane and it's interesting. This is how I have rounded out my knowledge, and I've done it on my own (e. g. I'm self-motivated). Here's what I can do for you.

Even though this is an academic environment, IT is still an area wherein there are a lot of self-taught people and experience and certifications are often more important than actual degrees. Yes, it would be nice if you had a degree and you were matched precisely to everything they want. But if you can show that you are precisely matched to everything else, and that all of the areas wherein you do match are more vital to the proper performance of the job's tasks than a degree would be, I'd say you have a real shot.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 11:15 am
Besides, the job may provide you with the opportunity to take some classes. Look, you write well, so you think well. Go for it!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 12:27 pm
In addition to focusing on your experience on your resume, you could add a cover letter highlighting your past job accomplishments and work experiences.

Plainoldme has a very good point. If you stress in an interview that you are planning on pursuing your degree it may also give you an edge. I once received a resume of some one sounding like your situation, but in a different field. She did not have a college degree but had some college classes, whereas, everyone else who worked for me in a similar position did, but she had more than enough experience for the job. I decided to give her a shot considering her past experience and interviewed her. I had some reservations because to me an education and obtaining a degree does show an accomplishment. I mentioned in the interview that we had program where the company would pay for classes to obtain a degree. She had no interest in pursuing the degree and she did not elaborate why. This was one of the deciding factors in not hiring her. Had she mentioned she would have considered completing her degree I would have looked at her more seriously. Made me feel as if she does not finish things.
0 Replies