Does "worthy of Rube Goldberg" mean "worthy to be called a very complicated invention"?

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 09:39 am

Context:
The human blood-clotting cascade, appearing, with its dozen or m ore proteins, to be a complex system that Behe deems worthy of Rube Goldberg, can in fact be understood as the gradual recruitment of more and more elements of the cascade.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,401 • Replies: 9

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
engineer
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 09:40 am
@oristarA,
Yes, but more a needlessly complicated invention.
oristarA

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 10:05 am
@engineer,
Thank you Engineer.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 11 Mar, 2013 07:45 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 04:12 am
British English speakers will probably be more familiar with Heath Robinson (William Heath Robinson 1872 - 1944)

http://www.zmma.com/artsImg/HR_0.jpg
oristarA

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 09:36 am
@contrex,
contrex wrote:

British English speakers will probably be more familiar with Heath Robinson (William Heath Robinson 1872 - 1944)

http://www.zmma.com/artsImg/HR_0.jpg

Cool.
Rube Goldberg vs. Heath Robinson
Two tiresome big boys meet at last. Razz
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 06:55 pm
@contrex,
Is Heath's name used in the same fashion as Godlberg's, C?

Quote:
Over the years, the expression has expanded to mean any confusing or complicated system. For example, news headlines include "Is Rep. Bill Thomas the Rube Goldberg of Legislative Reform?"[1] and "Retirement 'insurance' as a Rube Goldberg machine".[2]

In 1931, the Merriam–Webster dictionary adopted the word "Rube Goldberg" as an adjective defined as accomplishing something simple through complex means.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine

I note,

Quote:
Great Britain — a Heath Robinson contraption, named after the fantastical comic machinery illustrated by British cartoonist W. Heath Robinson, shares a similar meaning but predates the Rube Goldberg machine, originating in the UK in 1912.[4]

Ibid.
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 08:40 pm
It means something a bit different from "worthy to be called a very complex invantion". Behe is a proponent of "intelligent design", the generally discredited argument that organisms didn't develop by natural evolution but had to be created by an "intelligent designer", i.e. that natural processes alone couldn't have developed them. He's maintains that the blood-clotting cascade is so complex, with so many steps, each dependent on the others, that it had to have been designed. Someone in the quote disagrees with him, and says to became more complex naturally, as more elements evolved from the original functionality.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 02:24 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
Is Heath's name used in the same fashion as Godlberg's, C?

Heath Robinson's name. I would say yes. Their drawing styles are somewhat similar. I don't know if this applies to Goldberg, but if a commentator used "Heath Robinsonish" about real-world physical machines or to business, political or administrative arrangements, a critical nuance might be intended - that the contrived thing was ramshackle, put together in haste, employed elements not intended (or suitable) to work together, etc. Also maybe that the thing was more for show (Heath Robinson was a visual artist) than function, perhaps to bamboozle the uninitiated with complexity (see snake oil, medicine shows, etc).

That is not to say that a comparison with Robinson's work might not sometimes carry praise: bolting something together out of scrap angle iron and bits and pieces of redundant machinery to save money compared with buying new is something farmers, etc often do.

0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 06:05 am
I see I may have appeared inconsistent in my naming of William Heath Robinson. He had what English people often call a "double barrelled" name. People possessing them are often members of the upper classes; they tend to arise because of merging of families/dynasties by marriage; sometimes a hyphen is used to separate the elements of the surname, sometimes not.

James Smith-Brown
Bill Smith Brown

The first chap could call himself Mr Smith-Brown, and the second Mr Smith Brown. Both could use Mr Brown but never Mr Smith.

0 Replies