ASTONISHING! Eisenhower planned emergency government

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 01:14 am
I nearly dropped my teeth when I read the last paragraph re involvement of Cheney and Rumsfeld---BBB

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
Saturday, March 20, 2004
Eisenhower planned emergency government
By HOPE YEN
ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

WASHINGTON -- CBS President Frank Stanton was one of six private citizens secretly recruited and granted authority by President Eisenhower to run major components of the government if a Soviet attack wiped out many American leaders.

No public announcement of the appointments was made. Their existence was confirmed by recently publicized Eisenhower administration letters.

A few weeks after the Soviets launched the first manmade satellite in 1957, shattering America's sense of security, Stanton was summoned to the White House to see Eisenhower.

Stanton knew his friend was agonizing over how to respond to Sputnik and the terrorizing thought that permeated America: Had the Soviets gained a huge first-strike advantage in the nuclear arms race?

But Stanton learned Eisenhower also was wrestling with how best to ensure the U.S. government could function in an emergency.

Stanton, who had no experience or ambitions in government, was taken aback when the president asked if he would be willing to oversee a federal communications agency after such an attack.

"I was surprised and startled by the breadth of the assignment," said the 96-year-old Stanton, who lives in Boston.

Nervous about the awesome task of keeping the nation's telephone, radio and television systems operating after an attack, Stanton said he nevertheless "agreed to do my chore."

"The president was planning for the unthinkable," said retired Army Gen. Andrew J. Goodpaster, Eisenhower's staff secretary. "He wanted to bring in the wisdom and competence to reinforce whatever elements of the government survived and provide some assurance that our government could not be decapitated."

Presidents are granted vast powers under the Constitution to lead the nation in times of war or enemy attack.

Shortly after the 2001 terrorist attacks, President Bush created a shadow government of 75 to 150 officials who worked in mountainside bunkers outside Washington to ensure the government would function if the capital came under attack.

All those officials already were in government when they were given the assignment. Eisenhower is believed to be the first president to go outside government to look for leaders in a crisis.

"Eisenhower went beyond the normal lines of succession, which I think was a reflection of the widespread paralyzing fear that swept the country in the 1950s," said Peter Kuznick, a history professor and director of the Nuclear Studies Institute at American University.

Besides Stanton, the appointees included George Baker, a Harvard Business School professor who was tapped to oversee transportation; Harold Boeschenstein, president of Owens-Corning Fiberglas Corp., in charge of manufacturing and production; Aksel Nielsen, president of the Title Guaranty Co., housing; J. Ed Warren, senior vice president of the First National City Bank of New York, energy; and Theodore Koop, vice president of CBS, to oversee an emergency censorship agency. Koop would have had 40 civilian staff members to monitor and control wartime information about the devastation.

Eisenhower also appointed two Cabinet secretaries and Federal Reserve Chairman William McChesney Martin to emergency posts for currency stabilization, food and labor.

"The people Eisenhower chose, while they were his friends, they were also the captains of industry of his day. People like Bill Gates today," said Bill Geerhart, editor of a Web site called Conelrad, or Control of Electromagnetic Radiation. That was the name of nation's first emergency broadcasting system, established by President Truman.

The site posted the Eisenhower documents after obtaining them from the Eisenhower Presidential Library in Abilene, Kan.

The selections were based as much on the appointees' geographic location and personal relationships with Eisenhower as their expertise. Nielsen, for example, was Eisenhower's regular fishing buddy.

The presidential form letters dated March 6, 1958, provide for the appointees to immediately take office in the event of a national emergency. Until then, they were asked to keep their status secret. They were promised an undisclosed salary but there were few specifics about their jobs.

The documents show the secret group met in July 1960 with the now-defunct Office of Civil and Defense Mobilization to discuss staffing for their agencies. But work barely got started before the group was relieved of its duties by President Kennedy, who took office in 1961.

Still, subsequent administrations have made contingency plans for government continuity - often involving citizens outside government - in the event of a devastating attack. For example, Kennedy's director of emergency planning, Frank Ellis, said in 1961 that the president had emergency appointees for transportation, agriculture and communications.

During the Reagan administration, then-Rep. Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld, who was chief executive of the pharmaceutical company G.D. Searle & Co., were key players in a secret program to set aside the legal lines of succession and install a new president in a catastrophe, The Atlantic Monthly reported this month.
--------------------------------------------

On the Net:

Conelrad: http://conelrad.com/atomicsecrets/secrets.php?secrets05

Dwight D. Eisenhower Library & Museum: http://www.eisenhower.archives.gov/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 653 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 05:45 am
BBB- Why are you shocked? I would expect that since Eisenhower's day, presidents would have had a contingency plan if the unthinkable ever happened. Cheney and Rumsfeld did not just pop out of nowhere in the last few years. They both have been very powerful men for a long, long time,.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 06:10 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
BBB- Why are you shocked? I would expect that since Eisenhower's day, presidents would have had a contingency plan if the unthinkable ever happened. Cheney and Rumsfeld did not just pop out of nowhere in the last few years. They both have been very powerful men for a long, long time,.

Yes, the Atlantic article is interesting, startling, but not really surprising!

Quote:

"The program called for setting aside the legal rules for presidential succession in some circumstances, in favor of a secret procedure for putting in place a new 'President' and his staff...the speaker of the House, the president pro tempore of the Senate, and the rest of Congress would play a greatly diminished role."

"This was not some abstract textbook plan; it was practiced in concrete and elaborate detail."

"One of the questions studied [was] ... What might be done to demonstrate to the American public, to US allies, and to the Soviet leadership that 'President' John Block or 'President' Malcolm Baldrige was now running the country...One option was ... to bring [a nuclear submarine] up from the depths to the surface of the ocean... a clear sign that he was now in full control of US military forces."

"'One of the awkward questions we faced' [said one participant in the program] 'was whether to reconstitute Congress after a nuclear attack. It was decided that no, it would be easier to operate without them'"

"If Congress did reconvene, it might elect a new speaker of the House, whose claim to the presidency might have greater legitimacy than that of [the C-R government-selected President]"

"The 'action officer' for the secret program was Oliver North"

"Vice-President George H.W. Bush was given the authority to supervise some of these efforts."

"After the ... Soviet collapse, the rationale for the exercises changed. A Soviet nuclear attack was obviously no longer plausible - but what if terrorists carrying nuclear weapons attacked the United States?"
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 09:45 am
BBB
My surprise wasn't that they prepared a contingency plan, it was that they went outside the government and elected representatives not in compliance with the Constitution.

BBB
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 09:49 am
And exactly that's, what didn't surprise me (and perhaps Phoenix as well).
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 10:46 am
ASTONISHING
the various canadian governments - liberal and conservative - have always had emergency plans in place. under diefenbaker (conservative 1957-1963) a DIEFENBUNKER was built outside the capital of ottawa to shelter an emergency government. it's now become a museum and you can visit it here >>> DIEFENBUNKER........pierre elliot trudeau (also known as PET by canadians) did not hesitate to call out the army when a quebec "liberation movement" ( FLQ )kidnapped the british trade commissioner james cross and killed pierre laporte (a quebec provincial government minister). when asked by the press in front of the government buildings how far he would go , he replied : "just watch me" and muttered about "bleeding hearts" (he was a pretty tough bugger). in canada he became even more famous when he uttered the famous "four letter F... word " during question-period in the house of parliament. when the speaker of the house asked him what he had just said, his reply was : "FUDDLE DUDDLE" - that phrase has now become part of the english-canadian language, personally i just love it. ... i'm quite sure that all governments around the world have emergency measures in place that their citizens are not aware of. hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 10:59 am
ASTONISHING
for anyone interested in learning more about the (so called) FLQ CRISIS, .....it's now become quite clear, that there really was no crisis. seems to me these CRISIS situations are sometimes used to justify otherwise unjustifiable actions. hbg ... you can read about it here >>> FLQ CRISIS
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 03:22 pm
Iraq was supposedly a crisis situation, and it was used to justify circumventing the constitution in a big way.

If there was a real crisis situation, the last to find out about it would be the public.
0 Replies