Hell in the Dilbert Cubicle - survival tips?

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 03:28 pm
That is hilarious - and tragic. As a very temporary cubicle dweller, I can allow the full horror into my soul....

I love the way the animals occasionally stand up - like so many mythical wherethefuckarewee birds, leaping and fluttering to see above the grasses, or like meercats on alert - to survey their surroundings and spot a passing colleague...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 03:35 pm
What you described is called prairie dogging.

Here is a card with a little story behind it that shows the pleasures of cubes and of Wally.
http://www.dilbert.com/webmail/SendAStrip?AppName=DilbertECards&ComicName=dilbert&Attachments=/comics/dilbert/e_greetings/cards/wally_beast.swf
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 03:45 pm
Wow! You have a plant! In my building to have a plant which is tended for you means you are a high muckety-muck.

I occasionally stand up to stretch and see the sky. I didn't know it had a name!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 03:46 pm
Yes!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 04:45 pm
stop yer whining and get to work cubicle creature.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 06:14 pm
pueo

I'm having great difficulty imagining the bunny person restricted to a cubicle. Seems kinda odd ....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 06:21 pm
well! I thought you were talking about endangered feces...

never mind.

We made an all open environment in my last group. boy did that suck. Like Yankee stadium where everyone could hear everyone else and we had thick carpet and sound deadeners. cubes work the best. I dont see why cubes dont have higher walls so the "whackamole" effect doesnt rule.

in a previous company my geophys staff had like an avenue of cubes. At the entrance of their cubealley They made a big sign out of plastic foam letters that looked like stone and carved intoitwas the entire Dante Inferno line that ends with Abandon all hope ye who enter here. Dark geophysical humor, yet a sincere crying out by the techn o weens that they are literate also
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 06:21 pm
{shudder}
I've avoided that envirnoment like the plague for my whole life. So, I haven't any tips for you. But, I'm sympathetic!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 06:25 pm
What unlikely places for a farmerman to work in! Shocked
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 06:34 pm
The cubes in our new building are almost office-like for me - as I'm not tall enough to see over the cube walls. Embarrassed
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 06:43 pm
This is an education for me. Never heard of dilberts & endless cubicles before. I wonder how much a person is allowed to personalize their space? I know Deb has a pot plant, but are there any restrictions on making one's cubicle more homely & comfortable?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 07:01 pm
msolga wrote:
I know Deb has a pot plant, but are there any restrictions on making one's cubicle more homely & comfortable?

deb has a pot plant in her cube? wow, not that's a liberal office Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 07:03 pm
Yes, pueo, & someone waters it everyday, too! Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 07:09 pm
The ability to personalize the cube is quite variable. Some companies encourage it, others discourage it actively.

In our office, the one big rule is that nothing can stick up over the top of the cubes. They say it has to do with maintaining proper air circulation. One of my cube neighbours is concerned, as her bamboo plant is now over the top of the cubicle. What to do? Wait until told to do something, or deal with it herself?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 07:10 pm
how about getting a panda?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 07:12 pm
Lower the floor?
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 07:13 pm
we're so helpful
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 07:15 pm
I'll tell MsM about your suggestions. I'm sure she'll be appreciative - or be convinced that I really am as loony as she suspects. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 07:21 pm
But seriously, could some businesses restrict things like photographs of family/loved ones in these dratted cubicles? Or flowers, or pin-ups? Is there a sort of style code?

Sorry we weren't more help, ehBeth ... Just feeling a bit silly today.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 22 Mar, 2004 07:24 pm
i don't think my panda idea is silly at all.
0 Replies