Kid wouldn't fight, died of injuries

RABEL222

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 01:27 pm
@Ice Demon,
These kids were all about the same age so they were aping their parents so I think the kids should be sent to anger management and the parents sent too jail.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 01:55 pm
@Ice Demon,
How many of you are there?
Ice Demon

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 02:09 pm
@joefromchicago,
We are anonymous. We are many.
Ice Demon

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 02:21 pm
@RABEL222,
You make a valid point, punishing the parents of the bullies and reprogramming the bullies is a better alternative.
MattDavis

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 02:29 pm
@Ice Demon,
So long as the "blame game" leads to something other than an excuse to never change the culture of aggression and control.
It is a sad truth that the folly of violence is not self-evident.
joefromchicago

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 02:43 pm
@Ice Demon,
No, but I think you're at least two.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 03:14 pm
@Lola,

Quote:
I'm not sure this would be universally true. As you say, Mo got in trouble at the school. But in this situation, there were apparently witnesses who reported that the victim did not fight back.

There were witnesses to Mo's fight too. If he hadn't have fought back he wouldn't have gotten into trouble. This kid didn't fight back because he didn't want to get in trouble.

I think if he had fought back he would have been suspended along with the other kids and would be known as a troublemaker through the rest of his student days.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 03:17 pm
@gungasnake,
Absolutely.

And if he'd been sent to the doctor for a possible concussion the seizures might have been prevented and he'd still be alive.
boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 03:19 pm
@Ice Demon,
It was caught on tape?

I don't think they intended to kill this kid.
Ice Demon

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 04:07 pm
@boomerang,
Apparently.
"The Associated Press reports that Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan is investigating the incident to determine if O'Neill's alleged attackers will be charged. Police said the injuries happened during a "one-on-one altercation, which was caught on tape."

Even if they didn't intend to kill the kid, intent to cause serious bodily harm to the victim which leads to death will likely fall within third degree murder in Pennsylvania, if these assaulters committed this at a older age.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 04:41 pm
@boomerang,
I've never heard of a concussion causing seizures, and the NFL would probably be a sort of an empty place if that were possible since concussions sort of come with the territory in the NFL. No real idea as to what precisely happened to this kid other than the obvious correlation between not defending himself and being dead.
Lola

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 05:09 pm
@gungasnake,
Of course seizures can be caused by concussion. A quick Google search found this little blurb. If I had more time, I'm sure I could find more. You can find more too, gunga if you're interested.

Quote:
Associated with central nervous system trauma is the possibility of posttraumatic epilepsy, affecting 1.5% to 15% of patients with mild to moderate brain injury.2–5 Early (defined as occurring within one week of injury) and late defined as occurring after the first week postinjury) posttraumatic seizures have
been studied and written about extensively in the medical literature.2–9

https://secure.muhealth.org/~ed/students/articles/AcEM_8_p0296.pdf
MattDavis

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 05:13 pm
@gungasnake,
I hope you don't take your lack of awareness as evidence of the neurological truth of that statement. I have worked for about 4 years in a neuro ICU. You might Google "concussion and football" if you require any evidence to the contrary, that concussions do not cause seizures and other serious long term neurological problems.
If I recall correctly, there is even a class action law suit against the NFL for assisting in perpetuating the view which you are advancing.
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 05:18 pm
@Lola,
jinx
ehBeth

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 05:19 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:

I've never heard of a concussion causing seizures,

it happens. it's one of the things people are monitored for after car accidents where people have whacked their heads on something and become concussed
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 05:23 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
No real idea as to what precisely happened to this kid other than the obvious correlation between not defending himself and being dead.

Is the correlation between a child being violently attacked and a child being dead obvious? It seems even more obvious to me.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 06:32 pm
@MattDavis,
Quote:
It's a sad truth that the folly of violence is not self-evident.

Yes, absolutely. but this changes with culture. back in the past this would have been a hard sell. I've learned to try to apply this to myself and be sad with others. Violence is such an easy sell. An instinctual reaction.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 06:37 pm
@gungasnake,
Because Mo plays football I follow the news about concussions and the research that is being done. Here's one really great article that runs down the current research: http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/people/did-football-kill-austin-trenum/

Concussions can be very serious injuries and the problems they cause are not always immediately apparent.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 07:32 pm
Where I live any kid that plays hockey and soccer, maybe other sports, is monitored for concussions. Depending on the number and severity of concussions, many kids are not allowed to play after a certain threshold is met.
If I remember correctly, soon after Natasha Richardson fell while skiing she started having seizures and died soon after. Look how long it took Sidney Crosby to return to the NHL after he had his bell rung.
boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 09:55 pm
@Ceili,
Just in the last couple of years I've noticed a huge shift in coaching. It has gone from "man up" to "sit out".

It's a big concern in baseball at the level Mo plays at too -- the kids can pitch hard but their accuracy sucks!

When I was a kid my mom was almost killed by an errant hockey puck. I'm glad hockey isn't a big sport here. I couldn't take it.