Anyone else following The Following?

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 10:50 pm
I've been pretty pleased with how well the show has maintained it's suspense.
I think it is relatively "smart". I like the Poe references, inclusion of cult mechanisms, allusions to Joe Carroll as a twisted Übermensch.
Have at it...
Tell me how wrong I am.
You can also agree with me but that's not as fun. Wink
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,938 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Lola

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 06:25 pm
@MattDavis,
I watched the first episode late at night after the others in my house had gone to sleep. Mistake. I soon had to turn on some lights and even though I meant to watch two episodes, after the first one, I had to just go to bed. I had a similar experience while reading The Red Dragon by the Thomas Harris of Hannibal Lecter fame. Scared me silly. But I'm not very tolerant of body parts and torture. The show maintains suspense very well..........too well for my taste. Still it's a depiction of a sociopath, all right. The cult following I'll have to evaluate after the next episodes. Yes, I'm going to try the second episode when it's light outside and lots of people around besides my cat. The Poe references are also interesting. But they could cut down on the realism and still be convincing. But then I'm a chicken. cluck cluck.
MattDavis

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 06:35 pm
@Lola,
It is very scary for me to imagine a person smarter than me, with wicked intent. It is like being a child and knowing that there is an evil adult pulling all the strings. I take some solace in knowing that sociopaths have intellectual blind spots.
I am not offering a spoiler, but merely a speculation. I think that these blind spots will be the undoing of Dr. Joe Carroll and his followers. I think we will also see the unraveling of of the society/cult he has constructed, by virtue of it's lack of virtue.
I think this may speak to pragmatism and ethical virtues aligning.
Lola

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 07:01 pm
@MattDavis,
Yes, Matt. Sociopaths do not have apparent guilt. But they do often get caught, purposely leaving that clue, indicating that their unconscious processes are working. Perhaps they have so much irrational guilt that they can't make use of it. I have heard that theory expressed. But a true sociopath is a scary, dangerous individual, no doubt about it.
MattDavis

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 07:22 pm
@Lola,
I was just reading (on wikipedia) about the dark triad
Machiavellianism Neutral
Narcissism Cool
Psychopathy Evil or Very Mad
That combined with social intelligence may be a very bad combination. Twisted Evil
0 Replies