Robt. Reich: Obama Should Call Out Big Republican Lies

Advocate

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 03:42 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

Advocate wrote:

There are lot of self-hating Jews out there. Do some soul searching. You may be one.

Is Robert Reich one in your book?

Reich wrote:

The problem is Washington pays too little attention to the large number of Americans -- Jewish and non-Jewish -- who think Israel is doing a lot that's wrong, and worry that the path it's on threatens its long-term survival.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-reich/the-neocons-vs-chuck-hage_b_2481900.html

BTW, when I was at Brandeis shopping for an undergraduate program, Reich spoke on the university's behalf. He certainly didn't seem like an anti-semite then.

The class of symbolic-analysts will lose a huge chunk of its empathy, compassion and humanity when the aging-all-too-fast Robert Reich exits the world. I still remember how he resigned from the Clinton cabinet over welfare reform. Government's loss, NPR's gain.

Is Reich even a Jew? If he is a Jew, I don't think he is a self-hating one. He is just wrong on the quoted stated, if he even made it.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 03:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

The problem with jobs is that the value of human labor...for the kind of labor most humans can do...is at an all-time low, and going lower and lower every day.

It simply does not makes sense to pay humans decent wages to do the kinds of work most of them can do. In fact, it doesn't make sense to pay humans even lousy wages to do the kind of work most of them can do...which is the reason most companies no longer have "steno pools."

You remember them...the were huge pools of workers earning decent salaries who did jobs that no longer exist these days. It's not that companies are unwilling to pay them low wages to do the jobs...the jobs are not available to humans anymore because machines do them infinitely faster and more productively than humans can ever do them.

This phenomena is apparent throughout the workplace spectrum.

That is the problem!

The solution is a bitch!

We definitely need a revival of the union movement. Employees are underpaid and otherwise treated like dirt. Unfortunately, it looks as though things are going the other way.

The minimum wage should be substantially increased, perhaps to $11 an hour. The recipients would spend all they get, which will spur the economy, producing new jobs. The only thing that increases jobs is increased consumer spending.

Further, we need infrastructure projects to provide jobs for the unemployed. Other countries are doing it, and it should provide the stimulous needed and solve a lot of infrastructure-type problems.

Keep in mind that the corporations and the upper-income people are cleaning up. We need to rid ourselves of the extreme plutocracy in the country.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 04:00 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate, Nancy is calling me to leave for a dinner we have scheduled with some friends, so I cannot respond in depth to this last post of yours at this time.

You make some interesting and important points...although when I do respond in detail, I will probably suggest some problems that need to be worked on outside the box.

Thanks for the comments.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 05:01 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

We definitely need a revival of the union movement.

Not in this country. The time of big labor unions in this country has passed.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 07:17 pm
Here is a link to a youtube on the inequality of wealth in the country that would shock most people. It should be of concern to everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QPKKQnijnsM
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 08:46 pm
You are right Frank. It's called frictional unemployment. What's needed is education and training. There are jobs, but they aren't min wage jobs. All while the cost of education is increasing. I couldn't afford college today.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 10:31 am
@Kolyo,
Quote:
That perhaps defense spending is a good thing after all,

To what end? The US already has the biggest military, by far, in the world. And all it is being used for is to illegally invade sovereign nations, to slaughter innocents, to foment trouble around the globe, all just to steal the wealth of others.

That's not eclectic. That's the same narrow, nonsensical thinking that has allowed the US to butcher and steal for well over two centuries.

Advocate

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 11:46 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
That perhaps defense spending is a good thing after all,

To what end? The US already has the biggest military, by far, in the world. And all it is being used for is to illegally invade sovereign nations, to slaughter innocents, to foment trouble around the globe, all just to steal the wealth of others.

That's not eclectic. That's the same narrow, nonsensical thinking that has allowed the US to butcher and steal for well over two centuries.

We spend more on defense than the combined spending of the next 14 countries. It is absurd to spend this way in a time of relative peace. In the meantime, other countries are eating our lunch economically.
JTT

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 11:50 am
@Advocate,
Quote:
In the meantime, other countries are eating our lunch economically.

And y'all allow it to go on. While the M-I complex grows ever more fabulously wealthy you folk just lube up with memes about the American dream and other such propagandist nonsense.

And the issue is hardly what it's doing to the US and its citizens. That sounds like a bunch of gangsters sitting around complaining about how tough life is for them.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 11:51 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

We spend more on defense than the combined spending of the next 14 countries. It is absurd to spend this way in a time of relative peace. In the meantime, other countries are eating our lunch economically.

Advocate, you really don't understand just how absurd your statement is.
Obama has effectively put our economy in a coma and if he successfully
rips the US military down as planned, other countries will eat more than
our lunch, they will eat away at our allies and then eat away at the USA.
0 Replies