A Modest Proposal: Let's Have Two GDPs

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 11:35 am
So here is a modest proposal: Let's have two GDPs. One based on the current model, which would reflect corporate profits, which are up 46 percent. And another that would factor in such things as joblessness; the inability of wages to keep up with steep increases in medical, housing and education costs; the 34 million Americans living in poverty; and the 43 million with no health insurance.

Taking a step in this direction, Redefining Progress, a think tank dedicated to promoting sustainability, has developed what it calls the Genuine Progress Indicator (GPI), an alternative measure of economic growth that factors in close to two dozen aspects of our economic well-being that the GDP ignores. The group's Executive Director Michel Gelobter describes the GPI as "the GDP minus heart attacks, prison time and clear-cut forests. But adding back in volunteerism and time people spend with their families." Just last week the group released its latest GPI analysis, which found that current GDP figures overestimate the health of our economy by $7 trillion.

With that damning figure, maybe the Kerry campaign can finally force the Bushies to take off the rose-colored shades they've been hiding behind and allow the American people to see them for what they indisputably are: "the most crooked, you know, lying group I've ever seen."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 440 • Replies: 2
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 12:05 pm
I lived in poverty once.

Then I took out student loans and went to college. I used my college degree to find a job. I kept my dick in my pants long enough to find a job before having kids. I had no insurance, so I found a better job that offered insurance. I then stayed off drugs, and controlled myself so as not to end up in jail or fired from my job.

The moral of this story? I wasn't satisfied with my lot in life so I showed some personal initiative and discipline to change what I didn't like. I did not rely on the government to do for me what I could do for myself. If more people took responsibility for thier lives maybe they wouldn't have the trouble they do.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 19 Mar, 2004 12:18 pm
A Brazilian economist, Edmar Bacha, defined the GDP and Disposable Income growth as the "Happy-o-meter of the Rich".
His proposal. Each person: one GDP vote.

Let's suppose, for simplicity's sake, that GDP and Disposable Income are the same.

If we have a society in which A gets 100, B gets 50, C gets 20, and D and E get 10, our GDP is 200.

What happens if, after a year, A has 120 and B, C, D and E are left with what they had? The GDP is now 220. It grew by 10%.

If we measure it "democratically", we have one
individual whose income grew by 20% and 4 individuals whose income grew nothing. The average individual income growth is 4%.

Now suppose A, B and C were left with what they had, but D and E get 12 each. The standard growth rate would be 2% (we have a GDP of 204), but the "democratical" GDP growth would be 8% (40% of individuals had their income increased by 20%).

Food for thought.
0 Replies