Power factor

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 05:05 am
I have a LT distribution system with APFC unit. Now the APFC installed at the source of power (Near the Lt distribution system) and the power factor is maintain 0.999, but in my load end the power factor is observed 0.569, so i installed some capacitors at load end and improve the power factor 0.999. Now my question is the improvement of power factor efect the total consumption of energy from the source, if yes ? how much ?..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 864 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by Sunil Nair
timur
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 08:01 am
@Sunil Nair,
Improvement of the power factor will not affect your consumption.

However, it will affect the price you pay for that consumption.

Let's say your consumption is 5 kW.

As Q=V.I.cos φ and your cos φ is 0.569, you only have an available power of 2.845 kW (active power) while paying for 5 kW.

Now, with your capacitor bank that raises the cos φ to 0.999, you have 4.995 Kw available and you pay the same as before.
Sunil Nair

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 03:29 am
@timur,

Thanks,
This is very clear that by maintain the cos φ we can save the energy cost. But in this case the apparent power is already maintained a cos φ 0.999 with the APFC installed at the source of power (Distribution system). The cos φ is down at the load end. My question is if we improve the cos φ = 0.999 at the load end (Active power) can we save energy cost ??..
timur

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 06:20 am
@Sunil Nair,
No, you cannot save more once you reached that level of cos φ.

But you greatly improve the efficiency of your electrical system.
0 Replies