What to do?

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 10:34 pm
I'm at the point where affirmative action is harming my ability to get a spot in college. I was told by an admissions counselor that I'm wait-listed for a particular college, and that I can attend if a specific student (which I later found out through my sources is a black and is a affirmative action candidate) doesn't show up on the first day of classes. I think this is unfair and maybe illegal. What do I do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,018 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Kolyo

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 11:21 pm
@firefloy707,
What kind of affirmative action program do they have, a quota system?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 12:27 am
@firefloy707,
Sources? How very mysterious.
Kolyo

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 12:39 am
@roger,
It's very puzzling!

I'm wondering why they wouldn't replace that one black kid with another black kid, if in fact they have a quota system...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 09:34 am
@roger,
I scarcely think a school would admit to that. I smell wishful thinking. Or go the Bakke route if there's any actual proof of this.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 10:31 pm
@firefloy707,
From the LA Times.

Quote:

Do race preferences help students?

There's evidence that many students don't thrive in colleges for which they're far less prepared than their fellow students.

October 07, 2012|By Richard Sander and Stuart Taylor Jr

As the Supreme Court revisits the use of race in college admissions, critics… (Paul Sakuma / Associated…)

Affirmative action, long one of America's most divisive social issues, is about to grab headlines again. On Wednesday, the U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments in a challenge to a state university's use of race in selecting students.

In many ways, the legal issues in Fisher vs. University of Texas are the same as those that came before the court in 1978 and 2003. But the broader affirmative action debate has changed since those cases were heard, and in ways that could point toward compromises that might win broad public support.
0 Replies