The GOP keeps asking, where's Obama's sequestration plan?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 12:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
From the CNN article.
Quote:
(CNN) -- Congress is reaching a point where it will no longer be able to function at all. Over the past two years, some members of the Republican Party have ramped up the partisan wars on Capitol Hill. They are threatening to bring the legislative process to a standstill.

Why bother with budgets when the GOP will filibuster it?

I prefer my not knowing jack **** against your ignorance.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 01:57 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Advocate wrote:

It is hard to believe that the GOP will get away with their acceptance of sequester. I think it will be a disaster for the country.

Members of the GOP feel that they will not be hurt politically because they can pin the blame for sequester on Obama. Also, hey think that the massive gerrymandering will keep them safe.

Does anyone agree?

I don't agree

Wow, I didn't know that. I guess that is dispositive of the matter.
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 02:00 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

Advocate wrote:

It is hard to believe that the GOP will get away with their acceptance of sequester. I think it will be a disaster for the country.

Members of the GOP feel that they will not be hurt politically because they can pin the blame for sequester on Obama. Also, hey think that the massive gerrymandering will keep them safe.

Does anyone agree?

I don't agree

Wow, I didn't know that. I guess that is dispositive of the matter.

I'm sure that you have grown accustom to people disagreeing with you.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 02:02 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I never claimed otherwise. However I find it odd that;
1. The Senate is the upper house of our legislature and it has not either introduced or acted on any of the supposed initiatives you listed as part of the president's plan. Worse, it hasn't approved a budget for our government for the past three years,
2. The President has delivered no specific proposals for the enactment of such legislation to the Congress.
3. None of these cost savings measures were contained in the last budget proposal the President submitted to the Congress.

I think you should consider the possibility that you are full of ****.

Why should the president, or the Dems in the senate, submit anything when there is a one hundred percent chance the Reps will fillibuster the legislation? Moreover, the house would certainly not pass anything from them.

Why the ad hominem at the end of your post? Insecurity?
H2O MAN

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 02:04 pm
@Advocate,
Why should any democrat or republican go along with anything Obama suggests or demands?

The man is a menace!
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 02:08 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Lola wrote:

But georgeob, isn't it something about needing 60 votes these days of the ever present "filibuster?"

Just askin

No. Harry Reed has repeatedly prohibited government budgets, duly passed by the House of Representatives from even coming to the floor of the Senate for a vote. The Democrat Senate has even voted down budgets President Obama has submitted. Worse, it hasen't even passed one for the past three years. None were the subject of fillibuster by Senate Republicans - none, that is zero, nada.

Thank god Reid did pocket the Ryan budget. It was actually passed by the house, despite that it would give the wealthy 20 percent tax cuts, end Medicare, cut the safety net on the poor and middle class, make wild revenue assumptions based on the tax cuts, etc.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 02:50 pm

Quote:
the final deal reached between Vice President Biden and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) in 2011 included an agreement that there would be no tax increases in the sequester in exchange for what the president was insisting on: an agreement that the nation’s debt ceiling would be increased for 18 months, so Obama would not have to go through another such negotiation in 2012, when he was running for reelection

Obama’s sequester deal-changer
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 07:07 pm
@H2O MAN,
Hey, squirt, how do you expect the government to keep operating if the GOP refuses to increase the debt ceiling? That Biden "lied" about no taxes, how often has the GOP lied? Let's count the ways. How often has the GOP filibustered legislation that would have helped our country's economy? Let us count the ways.

The government needs revenue, and the blackmail that the GOP pushed the administration on the debt ceiling, the lie was necessary to move forward.

Either way, it's not rational to think the government could keep cutting costs and not have any revenue.

No government can operate without revenues.

None.

Is that too deep for you?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 09:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You you are merely changing the subject. The Senate Republicans have not filibustered any budget legislation in the Senate since Obama took office. That the Democrat controlled Senate hasn't passed a budget in several years is entirely a consequence of their own actions. They have even ignored budget submissions delivered by the President. In. It's case I can sympathize because the submissions didn't even pass the laugh test.

The current administration and the leadership of the Senate are playing a game in which they refuse to accept any responsibility for the management or oversight of government spending, lest they offend any of the recipients of government largesse. They simply propose more spending and more taxes and count on blaming the Republicans for whatever disappointment that may result . It's a very cynical and childish game.
tenderfoot

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 10:11 pm
@H2O MAN,
Piss and wind.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 11:43 pm
@georgeob1,
The senate doesn't or can't filibuster any budget, but they need 60 votes and he cooperation of the House republicans - which we know they will never get.

According to the Economist.
Quote:

Parliamentary procedure

Why the Senate hasn't passed a budget
Feb 15th 2012, 22:36 by G.I. | WASHINGTON D.C.

Republicans have relentlessly harangued the Senate's Democratic leadership for failing to pass a budget resolution. "1,000 days without a budget," was the title of a typical missive last month. On the weekend Jack Lew, who has just been named Barack Obama's chief of staff after serving as his budget director, defended the Senate by saying it couldn't pass a budget without 60 votes, i.e. without the cooperation of some Republicans. Republicans jumped on Mr Lew, pointing out that under Congress' budget procedure, a budget resolution cannot be filibustered and thus only needs a simple majority vote - typically 51 votes - to pass. Glenn Kessler, The Washington Post's fact checker, awarded Mr Lew four Pinocchios, the top score, for fibbing.

In fact, Mr Lew, while wrong on the narrow wording, is right on the substance. It is true that the Senate can pass a budget resolution with a simple majority vote. But for that budget resolution to take effect, it must have either the cooperation of the house, or at least 60 votes in the Senate.

The balls in your park.
georgeob1

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 01:35 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

The balls in your park.

No it isn't. You just went to a lot of trouble to discover thsat I am absolutely correct. The House of representatives has passed budgets in each of the last four years. The Senate hasn't even voted on them - harry reid simply doesn't schedule a vote. The budget process was designed to be initiated by the House after receiving a draft proposal from the President. Whatever the House passes then goers to the Senate for either passage or revision. There are established procedures and traditions for conferences between the two bodies to work out differences so that (1) government opersations and spending are vetted by the Congress as prescribed in the Constitution; and (2) So that debate over the relative merits of various proposals can occur and that compromises acceptable to the minority can be worked out.

Both Houses of Congress are exactly equal in that the other body must agree for any legislation or budget resolution to pass. The Republican House does its duty: the Senate Democrats shirk theirs in a crass political effort to avoid responsibility and accountability.

The President and the Democrats in both houses of Congress have simply chosen to ignore their responsibilities so that they can avoid being associated with ANY spending cuts or even reviews of the benefits associated with them. One resdult is that we have spent $2 billion dollars on free cell phones and monthly service for large numbers who don't even meet the established requirement for them.

You really don't know half of what you so loudly assert here (and that mostly with borrowed words, not your own - pasted excerpts from the partisan sources which do your thinking for you). Very sad.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 08:53 am

Quote:
The sky is falling!

We cannot endure a 2.3% cut in a budget that has doubled under 0bama without bodies in the street.

Sadly, most Americans will buy into these lies.

Sequestration Scare.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 02:48 pm
@georgeob1,
And the GOP will not approve any budget with any increase in taxes.

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 03:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Thank God for that!
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 04:27 pm
@georgeob1,
No, you are not up to date; the House will not pass a budget with any tax increases in it. That's just dumb, because they don't want to pay for anything that's needed to keep our country running; our schools funded, and our infrastructure kept in good repair. All conservatives worry about are guns in their homes, and cutting expenses without touching the defense budget. They're willing to under fund our children's education, and let our infrastructure go to pot.

No more taxes; just increase our deficit.

Idiocy!
tenderfoot

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 04:27 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Thank God for that!

Which of the 26 known water deities ( Gods ) are you thanking, little squirt.. or should I say litte drip. :--0)
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 04:45 pm
@tenderfoot,

You dare to mock the water Gods!

Enjoy your excruciatingly painful Dehydration when it comes.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 04:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

No, you are not up to date; the House will not pass a budget with any tax increases in it. That's just dumb, because they don't want to pay for anything that's needed to keep our country running; our schools funded, and our infrastructure kept in good repair. All conservatives worry about are guns in their homes, and cutting expenses without touching the defense budget. They're willing to under fund our children's education, and let our infrastructure go to pot.

No more taxes; just increase our deficit.

Idiocy!

Budget and Tax bills are distinct things. passed in seaparate procedures, and done that was for very good reasons. Budgets focus on the spending and adminstrative needs of the various departments of the government. The budgeting process is the means through wich the president and the Congress assess the productivity of each department or program in the government; determine the effectiveness of each; adjust funding accordingly.Every businerss does this as well, and without it waste and mediocrity will simply grow without limit in any organization. The Obama Administration and the Democrat Senate have simply abrogated their mandated responsibilities innthese areas. Conversely the Republicans in the House have done theeir duty and have recommented adjustments to the budgets of every department of government. More of that can, and should, be done.

We just completed our tax hikes. The Sequester ahead of us was specifically proposed by the Presidenty and his aides; and, as recently as a year ago, he was loudly boasting that he would veto any budget or spending plan thad failed to achieve the soending cuts required to avoid his sequester threshold. Now, in what is a long pattern of lies and duplicity, the President is demanding tax incrreases to avoid the sequester - gone are his demands for spenbding reductions and bold boast that he would veto any measure intended to evade them.

Your mind is closed on these matters. You aren't aware of the relevant facts; you don't understand how our system works; and you get your opinions (and even words) from political web sites. There are words for describing that kind of behavior, and you use them frequently in your often offensive personal criticisms of those who disagree with you. It is merely unfortunate that you fail to acknowledge your ignorance and hypocrisy in all this.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 04:56 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Washington Highlights

President’s FY 2014 Budget Likely to be Delayed
January 11, 2013—The continued uncertainty related to the so-called fiscal cliff likely will delay the release of President Obama’s FY 2014 budget, perhaps into March.

House Budget Committee Chair Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) Jan. 9 sent a letter to Acting Office of Management and Budget (OMB) Director Jeffrey Zients asking “whether the President will submit his budget request this year on or before February 4 as required by law. If the Administration does not plan to meet the statutory deadline, when do you anticipate the request being made?” The letter continues, ‘[A] delay in the budget submission of the President’s budget request affects Congress’s ability to carry out its budget duties.”

Neither the White House nor OMB has indicated when the budget will be released. By law, the budget is due on Capitol Hill by the first Monday in February, which this year is Feb. 4.

Many observers believe this year’s budget will arrive late, primarily as a result of ongoing uncertainty over the fiscal cliff. In addition, Congress has not agreed on final spending levels for the current fiscal year, which began Oct. 1, 2012. The government is operating on a continuing resolution (CR) that expires March 27.
0 Replies