What massive overblown pop culture monstrosity/etc... are you deliberately and proudly ignoring?

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 08:33 am
What pop song are you refusing to listen to? What megabestselling book your friends are raving about are you refusing to out and out read? What oversized and overhyped TV series are you proud to claim to have never seen?

I'll start things off:
ME? I haven't listened to or watched the Youtube/Korean megasensation that is Psy and his Gangrene Style... sorry Gingham Style... or is it Ginger Ale Style... Gingher Scissors Style....

DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 08:57 am
@tsarstepan,
I don't deliberately avoid anything; it makes you seem out of touch when you talk to people.

I spoke with a "talent acquisition" person with a head hunter a few weeks ago, who turned out to be two 25-ish year "kids". I got a completely blank look when I made a reference to the soup ordering scene in Seinfeld....
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 09:02 am
@DrewDad,
I am consciously voiding doing the "Harlem Shake".
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 09:42 am
@farmerman,
I understand there's a controversy surrounding that. It seems that one group of people have co-opted the term, and another group of people are attempting to recoup it.

http://www.npr.org/2013/02/21/172615268/where-does-the-harlem-shake-actually-come-from
0 Replies

Enzo

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 10:21 am
@farmerman,
It's more like a drunken dry hump than a Harlem Shake. One would hope that a Harlem Shake phenomenon would get the original dance moves right. I am disappointed in today's pop culture. <sigh>

See how more advanced the original moves are.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 10:48 am
@tsarstepan,
I've always liked pop culture but having a kid means I really try to keep up with it now.

I have not, however, read any of the "Twilight" books.
DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 11:21 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I have not, however, read any of the "Twilight" books.

Nor have I, but I do know the basic plot and some of the characters. Otherwise, how would one get all of the "still a better love story than Twilight" jokes?
Enzo

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 11:26 am
@DrewDad,
...Wait, Twilight was a love story? Wink
DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 11:37 am
@Enzo,
Allegedly. I haven't read it, myself.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 12:09 pm
I enjoyed the Twilight books very much...even if I was dared to read them. A young woman, who knew the books were intended mostly for a young female audience, dared me.

And I took her up on it...because she was a major league hottie. (She worked with my wife...and was a very nice young lady.)

The first book did seem to be mostly aimed at young females....but the other three got very interesting.

I recommend them!

What I have avoided, based just on the television ads, is the show, Two Broke Girls. If the segments shown to attract viewers are the best the show offers...it has got to be a huge loser.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 12:15 pm
@tsarstepan,
Why would it be a matter of pride to not know what was going on around you?

Seems like a weird idea right from the get-go.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 01:33 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm not blind. I know what's going on around me in terms of pop culture megaevents. I choose not to dive into every megapopular thing simply because a few other million others are fetishizing one particular pop culture moment/fad at that time.

A lot of that crap turns out to be very bright (supernova sized) flashes in their respective pans where a year or two later, the people so enamored in that one greatest thing of all time then proclaim how awful it really was in the first place.

I wonder if the end of the universe singularity will come around if Psy's Gangnam Style finally gets one trillion hits on Youtube.... Razz
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 01:39 pm
Long Before The Harlem Shake, We Did The Shimmy
http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2013/02/20/172517323/long-before-the-harlem-shake-we-did-the-shimmy
DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 01:49 pm
@tsarstepan,
Things come around again and again....

3D/Stereoscopic movies are such a phenomenon. Every 20 years or so, a new crop of customers turn up who haven't seen it before, go nuts over it, and then realize it's just a gimmick.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 02:08 pm
tsar, you really ought to watch the original Gangnam Style" vid, it's actually really funny (and I'm pretty sure it's meant to be funny, not funny because he takes it so seriously).
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 02:11 pm
@tsarstepan,
I mostly agree with you, Tsar. I've been an entertainment/culture/arts reader/somewhat involved person for a lot of decades and I tend to skim/skip some things and read others more in depth - don't we all?

Sometimes elements of art play that I shunned as too stupid to bear became more understandable to me as time passed, and sometimes I still think they were stupid, but must have been fun for some.

I did look at the Psy gangnam style video, but not until after I saw another video - Jun Sung Ahn, Dance & Violin Cover re gangnam style -

which I liked much better than Psy's. Or maybe not better - different. Clever kid in Chicago..

0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 02:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
Was distantly aware of but refused to spend any time on the crippled cruise ship in the Gulf and snowstorm Nemo.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 02:17 pm
@engineer,
I refuse to participate in the recent phenomena of named winter storms.

we're gonna make the hurricanes mad...
farmerman

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 02:22 pm
@Rockhead,
I see that the Weather Channel hs bcked off a bit. Now they are just using letters like, "Storm Q". NAmes were getting too cute so we will hve stormms catalogied like
2013-Q, (then a series of dates for their best freshness dates)
DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 02:31 pm
@farmerman,
I just thought that one was named after the Star Trek character.
0 Replies