What massive overblown pop culture monstrosity/etc... are you deliberately and proudly ignoring?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 03:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
The odor of "my taste is better than theirs" around that post is amazing.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 03:37 pm
@MontereyJack,
I like the video for the story behind it. I have worked with a couple of young guys who model themselves on Korean Gangnam - not Gangnam-style - the real thing. The video is a terrific social commentary kick in context.

Gangnam Style, Dissected: The Subversive Message Within South Korea's Music Video Sensation

it's not random fluffy K-Pop

Quote:
he attended both Boston University and the Berklee College of Music, graduating from the latter. His exposure to American music's penchant for social commentary, and the time spent abroad that may have given him a new perspective on his home country, could inform his apparently somewhat critical take on South Korean society.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 05:38 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

The odor of "my taste is better than theirs" around that post is amazing.

So ehBeth?! Do you have an infinite amount of time to listen to EVERY pop song? Watch EVERY single Youtube megasensation video? Read EVERY single bestselling novel and non-fiction books? Follow to the letter EVERY trending news story? Watch EVERY watercooler TV series? Etc...?

Due to the 24 hour a day clock and the human condition for needing sleep, I guarantee you can not do all of the things I mentioned above. You will miss out on a great majority of culture if you stay on target consuming only things that are in the ever changing pop culture radar.

The fact you dismiss my realistic view towards not being able to or wanting to go out and consume EVERYTHING in the immediate pop culture arena is just rude, overly simplistic, and unnecessary as I know you are a savvy culture consumer yourself.
boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 06:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
I think it was probably the "deliberately and proudly" qualifiers, used together, that make it sound kind of snobbish.

There are a lot of things I deliberately stay away from -- Hollywood smash bang action films, clothing from Forever 21, Big Macs, etc., but I'm not particularly proud of myself for it.

I could say I proudly and determinedly stay away from off the shelf, over priced, spanking new house parts/wares/things but I'm not sure they would fall into the pop culture arena.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 06:17 pm
@tsarstepan,
Of course I don't see/hear/read everything.

But I'm not proud of ignoring things that other people enjoy.

It's the same general disagreement that the Lightwizard and I always had. Movies vs film. Being popular isn't evidence of the quality of any form of art.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 06:32 pm
@ehBeth,
Proud is a human condition, and some of us who know some things about culture get that way, how else could there be columnists on this stuff?

Culture writers have - probably after being quite stupid for jolts of time - written arrogantly for endless years now.

Tsar is apparently crabby and speaks frankly.

I don't get the distaste for his distaste.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 07:04 pm
hey, tsar, I read the article in the Atlantic from ehBeth's cite,
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/08/gangnam-style-dissected-the-subversive-message-within-south-koreas-music-video-sensation/261462/
and the video is deeper than we get (as well as being hilarious) because we don't speak Korean. It's Korean rap and it's actually saying something, tho it's veiled. It's Korean social swatire and commentary. Suspend superciliousness for a few minutes and check it out. Try the embedded video of the translation, and look at the making of the video video too, which is pretty funny itself.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 07:22 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I think it was probably the "deliberately and proudly" qualifiers, used together, that make it sound kind of snobbish.

My use of proudly like most of my posts here at a2k was facetious. I've been a very prolific member here at a2k. I thought (wrongly) that most people here would have figured that out already. [animated shrug emoticon inserted here]
Kolyo

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 07:37 pm
In answer to the original question:

serious speculation about who should be the new pope.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 09:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
I know.....

Everyone seems particularly dour and literal right now, not just here but in the real world too -- myself included. I admit I first took your post as sort of pretentious but realized that probably had more to do with my mood than yours.

At first I wrote it off to election season but now I'm not so sure.

It is getting increasingly difficult to get a good debate or even have fun on A2K. Maybe it's the influx of spam and incest. I'm not about to bail out though. I like it here.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 04:14 pm
I studiously avoid Michelle Obama.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 04:30 pm
I don't think she's missed you.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 08:42 pm
I'm not saying what I ignore. I'm ignoring it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 10:48 am
@tsarstepan,
I've been ignoring the world of computer gaming, not so much out of disdain but a bit in fear that I might be pulled into it.

I'm intrigued by the online multi-person game environments in which people actually start a buying/selling relationship which extends into the real world. But I'm hesitant to try it myself.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 08:17 am
@tsarstepan,
I ignore most of pop culture. It neither reflects my interests nor my tastes. I'm not totally unaware of it, I just don't partake of it.

I'm not particularly proud about that, and it's nothing deliberate, it's simply the way I react to what most of pop culture generally offers.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 02:59 pm
I don't know who or what Harlem Shakes is/are, but I like the music group Alabama Shakes.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 03:36 pm
I'm not familiar with Harlem Shakes or Alabama Shakes, but for myself, I like Milk Shakes, except in Massachussets they're only shaken milk, and you have to order a Frappe if you want Ice Cream in them..
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 03:57 pm
As ehBeth mentioned, Gagnam Style is actually a commentary on part of Korean society. Gagnam is a district in Seoul where the very wealthy live. I also think that Psy is spoofing Korean pop music in general. Many Korean pop songs have their own signature dance (associated with that particular song only). Here is an example which I personally think is very cute:

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 04:20 pm
Botox and brand name purses. (I will NOT pay that much money for a purse - are you kidding!!)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 06:44 am
Willful cultural ignorance
http://www.avclub.com/articles/willful-cultural-ignorance,96100/
0 Replies