why my post was deleted?

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 01:42 am
my post was deleted today.. what is wrong?

roger

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 01:44 am
@Maria246,
Were you selling a product, or posting a link to a product?

In other words, what did you post, that we might have a clue.
Maria246

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 01:50 am
@roger,
I am not selling anything.
But I posted a link to my travel blog. Nothing illegal... just photos and some info mostly on history
roger

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 01:55 am
@Maria246,
Well, you're also not allowed to promote your own website. Not here, anyway.
Maria246

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 02:01 am
@roger,
This is just ridiculous...
roger

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 02:17 am
@Maria246,
I'm surprised you don't need to agree to the Terms of Service when joining. Anyhow, here's your link.

http://able2know.org/about/tos/
Maria246

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 02:37 am
@roger,
Yes I agree that the rule forbids visitors any access to an external information sources as well as providers of external resources to place any info about alternatives. Wonderful....
So now, will you be Able2know?

roger

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 03:04 am
@Maria246,
If it's an argument you want, you might tag your question as ESL. It's a surprisingly contentious forum.

Good night.
Maria246

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 03:24 am
@roger,
Argument? No It is just a comment... Hope comments are not forbidden yet.
Have no idea about what ESL could have meant...
But anyway it doesn't matter...
ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 07:26 am
@roger,
huh

I wonder what the determining factor is as to whose travel diaries are acceptable and whose aren't. I guess I'll have to make a formal enquiry next time I see one of those links.
JPB

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 07:43 am
I'd guess that it was because it was a link to a personal site by a first time poster. Smacks of spam. I didn't see the post or Maria's site to know if she's schilling a product there but links from first time posters almost always get pulled.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 08:20 am
@Maria246,
This is a privately owned site. The owners can pull anything they want. We users have to deal with that.

That being said, the site is very well run. They are very aggressive about fighting spam which from where I sit is a very good thing. The obvious lesson is don't post a link to a website. If you are here to be a contributor or participate in discussions this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

You can post content here. If you want to talk about your travels, or even add pictures I would be interested in reading it.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 10:24 am
@ehBeth,
Sugar! Do you remember, back when the earth was much younger, we lost the member named Sugar, and for the exact same reason? She posted a non commercal link to a web site of her own. She got stubborn; Craven got stubborn, and she left. It was far from being her first post.

So far as which travel diaries, or whatever are acceptable, I guess any that aren't selling anything, and don't infect your computer would be alright, but so far as virus goes, the only way I would know to find out would be to click it and see if anything bad happens right away.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 10:41 am
@roger,
Roger,

The way that SEO works today, it is difficult to tell who is profiting from a link. There could be a link farm embedded in the travel diary or any other trick to take advantage of free publicity.

A consistent policy of no links to personal sites isn't completely unreasonable.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 10:57 am
Unless something has changed recently, I assume people can still put personal website url in their profiles.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 11:45 am
@maxdancona,
I didn't know that, but I'm fairly shy about links from unknown people, anyway.
Enzo

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 11:51 am
@roger,
True the moderators, imho, decide according to a people by people basis. When I first joined a2k and posted a link to a site for some mathematical references after some explanation, my post in that thread was deleted. I just shrugged it off and didn't think much of it at that time. That hasn't happened to me again.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 12:19 pm
@roger,
I thought Sugar was right. Still do.
0 Replies