The difference between "don't you know enough about it to say" and "you don't know enough..."?

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 06:47 am
Here, "don't you know enough about it to say" means "you don't know enough about it to say." What is the difference in nuance betwwen the two grammatical structures?

Context:
In 2004, the distinguished Gallup organization posed the following question to a statistical sample of Americans: "Do you think that (1) Charles Darwin's theory of evolution is a scientific theory that has been well supported by evidence, or (2) just one of many theories and one that has not well supported by evidence, or (3) don't you know enough about it to say?" Only one-third of Americans indicated that they believed the theory of evolution was well supported, with the remainder being equally divided between those who argued it had not been well supported and those who just didn't know enough to say.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 797 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
engineer
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 06:58 am
@oristarA,
The difference is that the first is a question asking if you feel that is correct while the second is a statement. Like this:

Do you want to go to the store?
You want to go to the store.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 08:23 am
@oristarA,
To me it looks like a typo. I think it was meant to read as "you don't know enough..."
0 Replies