Grammar

JTT

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 02:02 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Very interesting JTT that you should so assert; thus the ESL might be better off here at a2k than in a formal class

I don't understand how you drew that conclusion, Dale. Most of the respondents here at A2K are the very people who have been taught the nonsense about the English language. They are very good at repeating said nonsense while being considerably less so at defending the same nonsense.

Frank Apisa is one, but not the only one, who excels at repeating the nonsense with zero defense offered.

A formal class [in any subject] can be good or bad depending on the teacher.

There have been ample discussions here at A2K about many/most of these nonsensical prescriptions. You likely never read

What are your pet peeves re English usage?

http://able2know.org/forum/pet_peeves/

That is but one example of the myriad silliness that has gone on here wrt the English language.
JTT

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 02:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
More of the same slippery, slimy dishonesty of Frank Apisa.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 02:38 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5258818)
More of the same slippery, slimy dishonesty of Frank Apisa.

Yup you've been repeating that in post after post in thread after thread.

But you have never given a specific lie you claim I have said.

I understand your are obsessed with me...but you have got to get under control.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 03:00 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
A formal class [in any subject] can be good or bad depending on the teacher.
True JTT but I was merely speculating on the value of a2k in showing the esl various colloquial and vernacular usage

Quote:
There have been ample discussions here at A2K about many/most of these nonsensical prescriptions.
I'm not sure what hyou mean. Some of our advice is slound and some not so good but I think for the most part it's okay

Quote:
You likely never read "What are your pet peeves re English usage?" [at] http://able2know.org/forum/pet_peeves/
Okay now I've read them. The OP lists a number of examples of English misuse that irk Ails. What's wrong with that

Or are you objecting to some of the responses; in which case could you cite a few specific examples and what it is that bothers you about them

Sorry I have to be so literal
JTT

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 06:04 pm
@dalehileman,
Dale, I truly appreciate your honesty in addressing this issue.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean. Some of our advice is sound and some not so good but I think for the most part it's okay

Oftentimes, the advice is sound, Dale. It's when folks get to spoutin' the prescriptions they learned in school, from their parents, ... .

Quote:
Okay now I've read them. The OP lists a number of examples of English misuse that irk Ails. What's wrong with that

Or are you objecting to some of the responses; in which case could you cite a few specific examples and what it is that bothers you about them

Sorry I have to be so literal

No need to apologize for honesty, Dale. Ailsagirl was out to lunch on most, all of her peeves. As were those who followed with theirs. Actually, the peeves weren't even "theirs"; they were repeats of the same old canards/old wives tales that have been recirculated time and again.

You'd have to read thru the thread, quite the slog, to see how these peeves, and others, are just a bunch of old wives tales.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 06:39 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Ailsagirl was out to lunch on most, all of her peeves.
But JTT, I thought they were pretty reasonable. How is it you object to them
JTT

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2013 06:45 pm
@dalehileman,
Dale, I'm not going to rewrite that whole thread. My guess is that I came in around page 30 or so.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2013 01:01 pm
@JTT,
Sorry JTT, thought somebody might save me the effort of scrolling all the rest of the morn, by summarizing

..a quick review only confusing this poor old man. I started out at 128 but now at 82 with incipient Alz's……I've probably dropped to about 75

Quote:
page 30 or so.
Possibly your reference is to a different thread as this one is so far only 2 pages
0 Replies