Katy sick, wish us well

roger

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 08:34 pm
@ossobuco,
If she needs to go back to the doc, mid afternoon or later on Thursday would probably work out well for me. I'm taking sister to dentist on Friday and that is likely to consume most of the office hour portion of the day.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 08:38 pm
@roger,
Thank you. We'll see, manana.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 02:25 pm
@ossobuco,
What a rotten shame! How is Katy doing mentally? Must be strain on her too, bless her. Dogs do so like to please their owners - usually seem to feel guilt if they don't or can't do what they know is wanted of them.

I hope the leaks soon stop.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 02:28 pm
@vonny,
No leaks so far today..
We go see the veterinarian tomorrow.
vonny

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 02:38 pm
@ossobuco,
It must be so hard for you to watch and wait. I do so hope that the leaks stop and that the vet can give you some positive feedback on Katy's condition.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2013 09:40 pm
@ossobuco,
Looking forward to hearing good news about your sweeet girl tomorrow, Osso.

Thinking positively, it strikes me that if the cause is anything other than a stubborn infection, the peeing in the house wouldn't have abated as much as it has.
dlowan

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 01:42 am
@mckenzie,
Sending positive thoughts to Katy and you.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 12:55 pm
Left-field question -- is the puddling the only indication you're using re: her relative health?

I ask because while I haven't been a dog owner in a good long while, I know that when my dogs had accidents for whatever reason, they sometimes then backslid with toilet training even if they were otherwise well.

I think vigorous scrubbing of the areas that they peed on with industrial-strength cleaners helped, but I don't remember this part very well.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 03:41 pm
@sozobe,
No, Soz, that was what got me to the veterinarians, but there was also the matter of her drinking four times (at least) as much water as is usual for a dog of her size.

Then there was the infection in two areas.. one clear to us after the lab test results came back, and one visible to the veterinarian the day she saw Katy two weeks ago.

And there was commentary that older spayed dogs often have incontinence troubles due hormone drop. And at the first, the vet and I thought it could also be a sign of diabetes and other conditions.
Things have been getting better, sort of, but not entirely - water use not as high, though still 2x high, continued house piddling, but not as much.

We saw the vet today, and the infection is still there. Katy will start two rounds of pills in a couple of hours - one, another course of the same antibiotic - except this particular antibio may change as a culture and sensitivity is being run to see if another antibio is better re this infection. That c & s report won't be in for some days. And second, she'll start on some hormone pills, in case the hormone loss (spay incontinence in older dogs) is involved in all this.

Her weight has stayed the same, and she remains my food scarfing love dog.
eh Beth's long ago recommendation of making chicken stock for her is a winner - plus I can make it with no salt. Her teeth - I tend to ask - are great.
vonny

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 04:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Very true that older spayed dogs often have incontinence problems - one of the risks we have to take every time we take that decision. But the tablets the vet's prescribed might do the trick - I've known several dogs thus treated, all but one responded well to treatment.

Pity about the infection still being there - let's hope this batch of antibiotics work for Katy. Love and hugs to her - she's a brave girl and going through a lot at the present time. As is her owner - do try not to worry too much, she sounds like a little fighter, and she needs you to be strong and well for her.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 04:05 pm
@ossobuco,
This is a pretty good general link for matters to be considered with a female spayed dog dealing with incontinence -

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/what-you-need-to-know-about-spay-incontinence-in-female-dogs
0 Replies

Berty McJock

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 04:27 pm
it seems to me, that you have at least found the root problem, and seem to have it somewhat under control, with a general and sustained level of improvement on before. hopefully the hormones and/or the second round of antibios will work.

get well soon katy Smile
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 04:27 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, I'm always hopeful when it's found that another antibiotic might help. If that's the problem, then the right med will do the trick. I'm hoping these work.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 05:32 pm
@Lola,
Meantime, about a half hour ago we had a nice urine lake in the kitchen - which shows for sure it's still going on.

Lola, this is the same antibiotic we're starting again, since it'll be a while before the culture and sensitivity come back with possibly a better one to use. Sigh, I used to do those for humans when I 'manned' the bacti bench back in the sixties. My impression is that they aren't ordered done much anymore.

I passed the first hurdle - the vet's office was out of their supply of chewable ones, so she gave me a prescription to fill, which meant the drug would be in capsule form.

I just gave her one, tucked into a potato gnocchi that had been dipped in chicken stock. Well, that was easy, slurp.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 05:35 pm
Infection, infection. I worry.

Hey, Katy. Get well already. There's a person in NYC who cares a lot.

Osso. You're a good mudder.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 05:39 pm
@Roberta,
Katy sends her other mom in NYC a series of goodly woofs and tail wags. She wants an ear pet back.
Roberta

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 05:42 pm
@ossobuco,
An ear pet. This is not a demanding animal. Of course I send an ear pet. If she was here in the flesh, she'd get a body pet, hug, scritch, rub, embrace. And a little pat under the jaw. They like that.
roger

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 05:50 pm
@Roberta,
I can't emphasize this enough; there is no well intended attention that Katy doesn't like.

Yeah, Osso is a good dog mom.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 06:19 pm
@roger,
Thanks, Roger.

Geez, since I last posted, two small leaks. She's getting these pills - the two antibiotic pills and the one chewable Proin (works as a treat) just in time.. as she's had none since Friday.

Oh, and on that business about whether to give them to her with food or not (back when I was worried last week that she might be excreting them too fast), the vet said that wouldn't happen, they were fine with or without food except I should watch for diarrhea without them. So back to giving them with food.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 09:48 pm
@ossobuco,
Hoping that continuing the antibiotics, and giving the hormones, will do the trick. Sending good vibes to both you and Katy.