Katy sick, wish us well

Ice Demon

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 03:38 pm
@ossobuco,
Twas no insult, nor had I any intentions as such. I was curious, and as you've figured out now, I lack manners and tend to talk brutally blunt. And I didn't mean to digress, so I'll quickly scurry out of here. Good luck to Katy and ciao.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 03:55 pm
@izzythepush,
What a beautiful story. It's not the first time I've heard of a dog behaving like this - shepherds in the Highlands seem to have similar tales to tell. And even after death - like Greyfriars Bobby. Where else could one find such total and utter devotion - so good to hear stories like this amidst all the greyer, more sombre headline news.

0 Replies

vonny

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 04:03 pm
@ossobuco,
I love the nicknames - but why Bottom Drawers or Sweet Skirts?

Her current weight sounds fine for a dog of her age and build - she must have been a bit overweight when she came to you. Good that you've slimmed her down. Lipomas are always a worry - Labs have a lot of fatty lumps as they get older, always a problem as to whether one should have them biopsied or not. Where is Katy's lipoma? Our Megan has one on her breastbone - a classic site for a Lab. She has several vet checks a year because she's on steroids, and they don't seem to be concerned. Just put it down to her age!

Leaks and lakes seem to be slowing down - that's hopeful.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 04:10 pm
@vonny,
The lipoma is between a couple of mammary glands, lower torso. Probably a little bigger than last recorded and tested.

Bottom Drawers, Sweet Skirts - she has some fluff at the tail end of her body, and, besides, she tends to sway. In spring, which I suppose is coming soon, she starts to shed the under coat, and, on her skirts, you can just pluck the white hairs out in clumps.

Ice, you don't have to leave - just don't go after Katy likers.
vonny

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 04:08 am
@ossobuco,
Bless her, I can just imagine the swaying of her little body and the fluffy 'frills' of her petticoats - she sounds absolutely lovely.

Hopefully the lipoma won't become too large. Megan's had hers for three or four years now, and it has become larger, but not so large that it impedes her movement. It certainly doesn't worry her. We keep a check on it though.

Ice person, I agree with Ossobuco, don't leave.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 05:34 pm
@vonny,
Just got a call from the veterinarian re the Culture and Sensitivities. Oy, a week it's been. When I used to plate C & S's in the later '60's, in my first 'career', it took 48 hours. If I had moolah, I might start my own laboratory now. (Kidding, knowledge has moved on, some of the time)

Anyway, there will be an antibiotic switch.
mckenzie

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 09:49 pm
@ossobuco,
Checking in to see how Katy is doing.

It sounds like they had to send the samples away. Good luck with the new antibiotics.
roger

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 09:53 pm
@mckenzie,
If they did tests and changed antibiotics, maybe they have identified the problem. That would be an important first step, so I'm feeling encouraged.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 03:37 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Just got a call from the veterinarian re the Culture and Sensitivities. Oy, a week it's been. When I used to plate C & S's in the later '60's, in my first 'career', it took 48 hours. If I had moolah, I might start my own laboratory now. (Kidding, knowledge has moved on, some of the time)

Anyway, there will be an antibiotic switch.

Phew. A specific antibiotic. Gotta be better.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Wed 6 Mar, 2013 03:45 am
@ossobuco,
It does sound as if they've identified the problem, or at least have a better idea of where to go from here. Good luck with the antibiotics - hope this lot home in on the problem fast and get Katy cured asap!
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 01:11 pm
@ossobuco,
How is Katy doing? How are the new antibiotics affecting her? I hope the flooding has slowed down or stopped now.
Lola

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 01:18 pm
@vonny,
Accurate diagnosis is always helpful. I hope the new antibiotic works soon.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 01:27 pm
Agggg. I've been waiting and waiting - for the antibiotic. They had to be sent to a compounding company (uggggg) and still haven't arrived at the vets' place.

Katy had three full days sans signs of infection, but now is showing them again.

Edit to say the prescription was called to the compounding company on Tuesday, which was when the culture and sensitivities results came in from the lab. So the prescription had to be compounded, and then mailed from wherever that company is (not local) to the vet.

Ai Chihuahua!

On the other hand, she's eating fine and peppy.
roger

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 01:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Jesus Murphy!
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 03:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Drat! Such a shame that Katy appeared to be infection free, then showed signs again! But good to know that she's eating well and seems bright in herself. Poor you, and poor Katy. Waiting is often the hardest part.

I hope the meds arrive soon!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 04:28 pm
@ossobuco,
If it is expected by Monday, I could pick it up in the afternoon, as I will be in the Rio Rancho/Corrales area. I could also change it to Wednesday/Thursday.
firefly

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 05:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Eating fine and being peppy sounds good.

Sorry the signs of infection re-appeared, but the new antibiotics should do the job, and it's very frustrating that you and Katy have to wait for them. All this waiting is tough, for both of you. Sending you both virtual hugs--Katy's is beef-coated--while you continue to battle the bug.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 07:06 pm
@roger,
They called about an hour ago and said the pill delivery is expected late Monday or Tuesday.. to be resolved when they know late Monday. I wouldn't get there until Tuesday anyway, since I don't drive at that time of day. So, we'll see - if this ramps up over the weekend, it could be a real help if you pick up the pills Monday, and if it doesn't ramp up, it can wait until I get them Tuesday. Assuming they arrive late Monday.

I've stopped thinking her not getting the antibiotic this weekend is such a complete disaster - it was yesterday's puddles that got me all worried that things might be exacerbating - but today, only one pud so far, though the night is young yet.

This will let me see what if any good the hormone pills are doing, though I am guessing it will be reasonable that she keeps taking them.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 07:11 pm
@ossobuco,
I think I'm going to allay my angst by making some peanut butter dog treats - and maybe some peanut butter human treats. Tomorrow.
dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Mar, 2013 10:58 pm
@roger,
For a Rat, you're a Mensch.
0 Replies