Where is the self? How can dualism stand if it's just a fiction?

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 01:13 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
I understand.

My personal beef with Fresco is the constant undertone that anyone who does not have the same take on REALITY...

...is being intellectually lazy...or as he cited, "...content to remain asleep."

Frankly, in my opinion, the true nature of REALITY is an unknown. We can all speculate...and I think most intelligent people do just that. But to suppose, as he does, that the issue has already been decided (supposedly by logic) and that anyone who does not get it is stupid or intellectually lazy...

...goes beyond what I will accept without challenge.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 02:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
My interpretation of the Buddha's Dharma is that there is no truly existent self. Many fellow Buddhists would agree with me and some would disagree.

Christians might use the Bible or the words of Jesus as an authority for a Christian assertion of that sort.

It is a guess.

I don't believe it's the same if you mean that the bible teaches that there is a God and a soul and a heaven even though they cannot be experienced by the senses. The Buddha is doing the opposite of saying there is something; he is saying there isn't something and explaining the way that someone could examine how a truly existent self could not truly exist. Then he says don't believe me reflect and meditate on what I've said and come to your own conclusion... 'never' take my word for it.

I've already said how this will not change your mind about Buddhism, above, but it's an informed guess that's pays off for some... unfortunately you'll have to take my word for that... for the reasons I've given in my last few posts above.

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 02:29 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
You and Frank remind me of a couple of sailors on Columbus's ship who are scared of falling off the edge the earth. You seem to be claiming haven't spotted your self inconsistencies yet...your broken resolutions to yourself...your failures to keep a secret...your internal disputes...your self chastisements (what did I do that for ?) ....your impatient driver mode versus your indignant pedestrian mode....and especially those even more nebulous selves which occupy your dreams ! And was it not a latter day Frank who has produced a written statement on this very forum of his intention never to show his face here again ! Laughing

Wake up the pair of you and acknowledge such common experiences of fragmentation ! They are quite normal and you merely look foolish if you deny them. You can dispute their significance of course as long as you understand that puts you in a similar intellectual category to the medieval sailor who denies the significance of the horizon never getting closer !
RealEyes

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 02:43 pm
@igm,
img wrote:
The conclusion is that there is no 'truly existent' self, this self is only an imaginary construct of the skandhas

All that we experience conceptually is part of that illusion. I can't disagree. That doesn't mean that there isn't a science to the illusion, a way to categorize aspects of the illusion. Self is illusory, but existent in the sense that it is a separation from the whole via Maya.

We're arguing semantics of what "self" is. I don't feel as though we disagree.
igm

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 02:51 pm
@RealEyes,
Smile
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 03:06 pm
@fresco,
I don't think there is any theory on the self that doesn't recognize those facets those "fragmentation's", but going from there to the blunt statement that there is no self is an entirely different business...more, my point with you was never about this or that particular aspect of your beliefs but mainly on your contention on logic and truth all the while asserting one...even if ineffable as you an JL like to put truth is whatever is the case...your opinion or my opinion for that matter are irrelevant...
RealEyes

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 03:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

And there is absolutely no chance whatever that the Buddha could have been wrong about this, because...

I'm just referencing Buddha and his school of thought. I'm making no truth claims here aside from indicating potential (logically consistent) truths based on conjectures. There is nothing to say Buddha was absolutely correct. But his mental propaganda was brilliant. The phrasing of "Don't believe what I say, don't believe what anyone says, unless it corresponds to your own sense of logic and reasoning" is so effective because it implements cognitive dissonance to help the rest of his material feel more agreeable.

The subconscious course of thought becomes: "I agree with that line. I agree with Buddha. I am a person who agrees with Buddha." This works against negative attitudes one may harbour when resisting Buddhism.

The psychology of belief is a very interesting topic.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 03:14 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
Re: Fil Albuquerque (Post 5306400)
You and Frank remind me of a couple of sailors on Columbus's ship who are scared of falling off the edge the earth. You seem to be claiming haven't spotted your self inconsistencies yet...your broken resolutions to yourself...your failures to keep a secret...your internal disputes...your self chastisements (what did I do that for ?) ....your impatient driver mode versus your indignant pedestrian mode....and especially those even more nebulous selves which occupy your dreams ! And was it not a latter day Frank who has produced a written statement on this very forum of his intention never to show his face here again !

Wake up the pair of you and acknowledge such common experiences of fragmentation ! They are quite normal and you merely look foolish if you deny them. You can dispute their significance of course as long as you understand that puts you in a similar intellectual category to the medieval sailor who denies the significance of the horizon never getting closer !

Yeah to lots of this, Fresco. We all change our minds from time to time.

But my comment of earlier holds:

My personal beef with you is the constant undertone that anyone who does not have the same take on REALITY as you is either stupid or intellectually lazy.

Frankly, in my opinion, the true nature of REALITY is an unknown. We can all speculate...and I think most intelligent people do just that. But to suppose, as you do that the issue has already been decided (supposedly by logic) and that anyone who does not get it is beneath you...goes beyond what I will accept without challenge.

You, Fresco, are so immersed in the dogma of your religion you cannot be reasonable in debate.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 03:17 pm
@RealEyes,
Quote:

I'm just referencing Buddha and his school of thought. I'm making no truth claims here aside from indicating potential (logically consistent) truths based on conjectures. There is nothing to say Buddha was absolutely correct. But his mental propaganda was brilliant. The phrasing of "Don't believe what I say, don't believe what anyone says, unless it corresponds to your own sense of logic and reasoning" is so effective because it implements cognitive dissonance to help the rest of his material feel more agreeable.

The subconscious course of thought becomes: "I agree with that line. I agree with Buddha. I am a person who agrees with Buddha." This works against negative attitudes one may harbour when resisting Buddhism.

So what does that do with the comment earlier of:

Buddha did not say there is no self, simply that self is part of Maya; an illusion that prevents us from being one with the universe.

Quote:
The psychology of belief is a very interesting topic.

It is indeed.
RealEyes

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 03:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
So what does that do with the comment earlier of:

Buddha did not say there is no self, simply that self is part of Maya; an illusion that prevents us from being one with the universe.

This is the structure of that sentence:

Buddha did not say "A", instead Buddha said "B." [expands on concept of "B"]

And as a side note: yes, Buddha could be wrong.

The concepts within Buddhism are logically consistent, so from an epistemological pluralist perspective, I have no qualms utilizing the conjectures as possible truths.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 03:32 pm
@RealEyes,
Quote:

This is the structure of that sentence:

Buddha did not say "A", instead Buddha said "B." [expands on concept of "B"]

And as a side note: yes, Buddha could be wrong.

The concepts within Buddhism are logically consistent, so from an epistemological pluralist perspective, I have no qualms utilizing the conjectures as possible truths.

Fine. I have no problem with people using the teachings and comments of the Buddha as possible truths. I also have no problem with people using the teachings and comments of people like Jesus as possible truths.

But there are Buddhists here who assert "There is no self!"

That is a hell of a lot more than using the teachings of the Buddha as possible truths.

I do want to acknowledge that you present the teachings of the Buddha as conjectures. Thank you. I have no quarrel with you. I do have a quarrel, of sorts, with people who present the precepts of Buddhism as revealed truth.
IRFRANK

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 04:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
How does one learn anything without accepting some premise? How can you learn basic arithmetic without accepting the function of basic operations? And accept them as truth to some extent. Do you not have to accept the concept of a number line? Does this faith not lead to an understanding of physical phenoma after some study? If you were in 7th grade algebra and the teacher said that if A =B and B=C then. A= C would you say PROVE IT. What would it take to prove it?
fresco

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 04:30 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fragmentation of "self" questions common assumptions of its unity as "a thing". The experiential understanding of the transient nature of "all things" gives rise to usage of the word "illusion" with respect to their assumed observer independent existence.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 04:30 pm
@IRFRANK,
"I don't know, because it's a guess."
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:00 pm
@fresco,
The Buddha did not provide us with a logical argument; he recommended a method (meditation) as a means for achieving, what Fresco referred to as, "experiential understandings" of the fundamental reality of impermanence: the world consists of constantly changing processes rather than fixed things. No need to logically demonstrate this principle--just see its reality. You see it or you don't, somewhat like getting or failing to get a joke. Image trying to prove to someone that a joke is funny.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:01 pm
@fresco,
That is your usage of "fragmentation", my perception is far less restrictive...common sense would tell you both situations have merit, the self has an unitary aspect to it and multiplicity of facets that are integrated under the ego...if anything any extreme position on this account is farfetched...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:14 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

The Buddha did not provide us with a logical argument; he recommended a method (meditation) as a means for achieving, what Fresco referred to as, "experiential understandings" of the fundamental reality of impermanence: the world consists of constantly changing processes rather than fixed things. No need to logically demonstrate this principle--just see its reality. You see it or you don't, somewhat like getting or failing to get a joke. Image trying to prove to someone that a joke is funny.

If you accept the world in all its timeless entirety, is what is the case, that is and means, that the world has a structure, and thus that there is a logos implicit to its working, you assume a true state of affairs...any discussion or debate taking a position about it, Buddhism included, is an epistemic statement on what you believe you can know about it...
Now taking a position and then saying that you haven't stated anything won't change the fact that you took a position on what you regard as being true...so the authority to criticise other positions currents and interpretations on the premiss that truth is ineffable hardly makes any sense when you just stated a view upon the workings of our world...whether you and Fresco get the point is beyond me...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:36 pm
@IRFRANK,
Quote:
How does one learn anything without accepting some premise? How can you learn basic arithmetic without accepting the function of basic operations? And accept them as truth to some extent. Do you not have to accept the concept of a number line? Does this faith not lead to an understanding of physical phenoma after some study? If you were in 7th grade algebra and the teacher said that if A =B and B=C then. A= C would you say PROVE IT. What would it take to prove it?

WHAT ON EARTH WOULD CAUSE YOU TO SUPPOSE THAT I AM SUGGESTING WE OUGHT NOT TO ACCEPT ANY PREMISES???????????????????????????????????
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:37 pm
@fresco,
Quote:
Fragmentation of "self" questions common assumptions of its unity as "a thing". The experiential understanding of the transient nature of "all things" gives rise to usage of the word "illusion" with respect to their assumed observer independent existence.

TRANSLATION: It is part of my religion and I am going to stick with it no matter what.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Apr, 2013 05:39 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:

A much nicer way of saying: If you do not agree with my take on things, there must be something wrong with you.

Nicer...but just as silly, JL. You should be above this kind of thing.