Where is the self? How can dualism stand if it's just a fiction?

dalehileman

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 09:16 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
However, I'm not aware of any robot making itself without the assistance of humans providing the necessary materials, utilities, and programming.
Cis it's just a matter of time
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 09:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I am pretty sure if you were to "pray" enough and with sufficient dedication...at some point you would "begin to see the light."
Interesting Frank that you should so assert as it's the pantheist's view that this is precisely how She answers the prayers

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that arguing with a Christian about whether it is logical to assert the existence of a god is a go-nowhere proposition.
Even more difficult to persuade someone--anyone--to discuss the panthiestic view that Her existence or non- is largely a semantic matter

Quote:
If you want to think self does not exist...do it in peace.
Same goes for Self, just to the left of Her on the scale of abstraction
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 09:30 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5262224)
Quote:
I am pretty sure if you were to "pray" enough and with sufficient dedication...at some point you would "begin to see the light."

Interesting Frank that you should so assert as it's the pantheist's view that this is precisely how She answers the prayers

Not sure of your point there, Dale. But for as long as I have been posting, I have mentioned that if you try hard enough, you can accept damn near anything...no matter how preposterous.

And quite honestly, most of the things being accepted by theists and atheists and Buddhists....are NOT all that preposterous.

It would not surprise me if some of the guesses have hit the nail on the head; it would not surprise me if the true nature of REALITY is so different from anything any of us are discussing that we are not even in the same book...let alone on the same page.

Existence is an amazing thing. It is fun to contemplate it...and even to search for answers. I doubt the answers have been found...and I see it as ludicrous that so many here assert they have.
0 Replies

igm

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 09:39 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, it is not the same as the example of 'prayer' and 'god' in other religions because you experience the 'self' or you think you do as does everyone else. But 'God' is unseen. So, there is a difference. As you experience a 'self' you should be able to explain to me where it is or how it could logically exist. That is 'not' expected of anyone who says there is a god.

So, you say that Buddhism is the same the theistic traditions but from my example above... you can see it is 'not' the same thing.

Frank, where is the self?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 10:01 am
@igm,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5262224)
Frank, it is not the same as the example of 'prayer' and 'god' in other religions because you experience the 'self' or you think you do as does everyone else. But 'God' is unseen. So, there is a difference. As you experience a 'self' you should be able to explain to me where it is or how it could logically exist. That is 'not' expected of anyone who says there is a god.

So, you say that Buddhism is the same the theistic traditions but from my example above... you can see it is 'not' the same thing.

Well, igm, I suspect it is a lot closer to the "same thing" than you think, but I despair of ever getting that point across to you.

I would ask you the same question I often ask of Christians who claim they know they have found the light: How do you know you are not deluding yourself? (Especially in thinking there is no self.)

Quote:
Frank, where is the self?

My "self" is here at the keyboard replying to your question to that "Frank" that you mentioned.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 10:03 am
@igm,
By the way, Igm, occasionally I sound as if I am being a wiseass. I truly mean not to be...and despite the many disagreements, I am enjoying this conversation more than you can imagine. I hurry back to my computer to see what new awaits the me, that I think may exist. Wink
0 Replies

igm

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 10:11 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

My "self" is here at the keyboard replying to your question to that "Frank" that you mentioned.

Which 'part' of your body is 'Frank'?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 10:14 am
@igm,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5262297)
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

The part that you are addressing???
igm

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 10:19 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Which part is that Frank?
dalehileman

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 10:22 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
If you want to think meditation brings enlightenment...do it in peace.
Raises an interesting q, Frank. I can see benefit in meditation; which used to mean concerted thought but which now means not thinking at all. Reminds me of the term, "seeded," which used to mean without seeds but now means with seeds

http://onelook.com/?w=seeded&ls=a

Anyhow if not thinking brings benefits, why waste so much time at it it in the daytime when the same benefit should accrue during sleep
0 Replies

igm

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 10:37 am
@Frank Apisa,
igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Which part is that Frank?.

If Buddhism is nonsense then you should be able to answer my questions easily and show how my questions are easily answered by any person who decides to spend a few minutes answering them. I await your answer...
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 11:12 am
@igm,
Quote:

The part that is responding.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 11:14 am
@igm,
Quote:
If Buddhism is nonsense then you should be able to answer my questions easily and show how my questions are easily answered by any person who decides to spend a few minutes answering them. I await your answer...

If I have said that Buddhism is nonsense...I was overstating my feelings about it. Where did I do that...so I can correct it?

Not sure why you are awaiting my answers...I've been giving them right along.
igm

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 11:26 am
@Frank Apisa,
igm wrote:

igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

I'm starting to lose count how many times I've re-asked you: 'Where is the self?' out of all the possible replies you've not answered with any of them and your replies don't amount to an answer, so...

You said you knew there was a ‘self’ a ‘Frank’ typing at your keyboard in your post above so… Why don’t you say something like: I don’t know or It's my brain or some-such-thing. If you don’t know where ‘Frank’ i.e. the ‘self’ called ‘Frank’ is then how is that different from saying I know there is a God but I don’t know where he is?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 11:47 am
@igm,
Quote:
I'm starting to lose count how many times I've re-asked you: 'Where is the self?' out of all the possible replies you've not answered with any of them and your replies don't amount to an answer, so...

Here at the keyboard, igm. Not sure how you missed that.

Quote:
You said you knew there was a ‘self’ a ‘Frank’ typing at your keyboard in your post above so… Why don’t you say something like: I don’t know or It's my brain or some-such-thing. If you don’t know where ‘Frank’ i.e. the ‘self’ called ‘Frank’ is then how is that different from saying I know there is a God but I don’t know where he is?

Well...if it would make you feel any better, igm...I will answer: It appears to me that I am here at the keyboard, igm.
igm

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 12:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
igm wrote:

igm wrote:

igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well...if it would make you feel any better, igm...I will answer: It appears to me that I am here at the keyboard, igm.

Frank, and you say you 'enjoy' this kind of exchange Confused

If you are there at the keyboard are you the 'whole' of your body or 'part' of your body or are you neither or both; that covers 'all' the possibilities so all you have to do is choose one, what is your reply?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 12:12 pm
@igm,
Quote:
Frank, and you say you 'enjoy' this kind of exchange

I am saying that I am enjoying it more than you can possibly imagine. I've got other things to do around the house, but I honestly cannot wait to get back to the computer for more.

I am particularly enjoying you attempting to get me to refute your contention that there is no self (your agreement with the Buddha) that there is no self...and your suggestions that if I do not...your assertion must stand.

It is enjoyable beyond measure, igm.

My position is...and has been...that I do not know the REALITY. I acknowledge that I do NOT know if there is a self or not (which possibly would be the case if all I am experiencing is an illusion.)

Your contention is that there is no self.

I see no way you can substantiate that assertion...and apparently neither do you. So you are attempting to substantiate it by further asserting that if I do not show proof of a "self"...your original assertion must be accepted as so.

Do you honestly do not see the humor in that, igm?

Are you honestly not entertained by that notion?

I have to go away for a few minutes to check on something in the backyard...but I guarantee my mind will be on this thread...and I will be ANXIOUS to return to it.
igm

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 12:24 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

It's not... I'm asking, 'Where is the self?' that's a question not a contention. You say there is a self but refuse to say where it is... the same problem that you accuse other faith based religions such as Christianity of doing and suggesting they are inferior to you because you don't hold such faiths; but you do, you believe in a 'self' that sits at a keyboard and types but you can't say where it is. You only evade the question and then accuse me of a 'contention' I've never made to distract other readers from your faith based assumptions.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 12:29 pm
@igm,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5262389)
Frank Apisa wrote:

It's not... I'm asking, 'Where is the self?' that's a question not a contention.

In your first paragraph, igm, you said: "The Buddha said that there is no self, ego, Atman, soul (all are synonymous for the purposes of this discussion). "

You also indicated that you agree with him.

Quote:
You say there is a self...

WHERE????? How many times do I have to say that I do not know before it finally penetrates, igm?

igm

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2013 12:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, so you do not know if there is a 'self' but you know there is a self called Frank typing at the keyboard... ok Frank...
igm wrote:

igm wrote:

igm wrote:

igm wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Frank, and you say you 'enjoy' this kind of exchange Confused

If you are there at the keyboard are you the 'whole' of your body or 'part' of your body or are you neither or both; that covers 'all' the possibilities so all you have to do is choose one, what is your reply?