Where should I go for my High School Study Abroad Program?

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 10:24 pm
Hi all!
So next year, which will be my junior year, I want to take a spring semester abroad. But, I'm having a hard time deciding which country I should go to. I would either go to Italy or Spain. In Italy, I would most likely stay in an urban city that's close to either Florence, Rome, or Venice. In Spain, I could live wherever I wanted to, which would most likely be Barcelona. I have been taking Spanish for 2 years, and I'm ok at it (I get an A in the class, but we hardly do anything in it). I speak a little bit of Italian, and if I go to Italy, I would take a class over the summer and during the first semester of junior year to brush up my skills. Where do you guys think I should go? Thanks so much!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,349 • Replies: 3
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 05:50 am
@megastar2b,
We have no idea where you would be happiest. If you are not being challenged in Spanish class, BTW, you can always try reading novels in the language if you really wish to improve your skills in preparation for going abroad. Same thing with Italian.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2013 11:10 am
@megastar2b,
I'm an older woman who has been to Italy three times for about three months total, and I love the place. I didn't start taking italian until I went there for a month the first time. I knew a few phrases having studied up a bit before I went.
At this point, if I had the wherewithal, I'd still pick Italy since I've never gotten enough of it.

My cousin was an exchange student in Italy a long time ago, and still is friends with the student that stayed with my cousin's family in Los Angeles. I get that being an exchange student isn't what you are talking about, am just mentioning another person who liked it when she was a teen.

On the other hand, I've always wanted to go to Spain and have read a lot about it over the years. The most recent and useful book I've read is Giles Tremlett's Ghosts of Spain, a book that might have more than you want to know with an emphasis on what might not now be your interest; it filled in a lot of blanks for me. He's a writer for The Guardian newspaper, their spanish correspondent. I probably know as much spanish as you know italian, but I can read it (more or less) with a dictionary nearby for help. Anyway, I expect I'd love Spain.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 12 May, 2013 07:42 am
@megastar2b,
megastar2b wrote:
Hi all!
So next year, which will be my junior year, I want to take a spring semester abroad. But, I'm having a hard time deciding which country I should go to. I would either go to Italy or Spain. In Italy, I would most likely stay in an urban city that's close to either Florence, Rome, or Venice. In Spain, I could live wherever I wanted to, which would most likely be Barcelona. I have been taking Spanish for 2 years, and I'm ok at it (I get an A in the class, but we hardly do anything in it). I speak a little bit of Italian, and if I go to Italy, I would take a class over the summer and during the first semester of junior year to brush up my skills. Where do you guys think I should go? Thanks so much!

I recommend that you read Amanda Knox's book before traveling to Italy.
0 Replies