Who doesn't back gay marriage?

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 02:26 pm
@shikki19,
Quote:
Stoning a woman for adultery is now illegal...

Shouldn't that comment have a jurisdictional qualifier? Or are you asserting that stoning a woman for adultery now is illegal everywhere on planet Earth?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 02:27 pm
@Kolyo,
Quote:
Re: shikki19 (Post 5251971)
Well, the people I worked with this Summer who were trying to legalize same-sex marriage didn't care whether certain churches "evolved" or not. If the Catholic Church doesn't want to marry same sex couples Massachusetts isn't going to force them. The fact is, though, that the Catholic Church should not be able to tell non-Catholics whether they can get a marriage license or not.

AMEN!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 02:28 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5249525)
And some of my long time married friends got married at the time for tax reasons. One couple my smartassgroup and I ribbed a lot, again, at the time, said they would stay together only as long as they wanted to, and refused to use the word commitment. That was 44 years ago.

As you might imagine, Ossobuco...they sound like my kind of people.
spendius

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 03:02 pm
@shikki19,
Quote:
The benefits and experiences of being one's spouse are much more different than being their partner.

Why?

Quote:
Life is a continuous stream of perception

It is for hedgehogs.

Quote:
I just do not comprehend how it is in any person's power to rule what defines marriage.

I'm claiming no such power. It's just an argument. There's a chalk and cheese difference to being permanently married, TDUDP. to someone who is incomprehensible and somebody who is understood. I don't consider divorcees "married". I don't consider civil weddings marriage either. Playing around with legal fictions has dangers. I'm not 100% for any weddings outside the Catholic Church to be considered valid marriage but I wouldn't make any waves about most of them.

These misogynists think they can understand ladies. That ladies are something like themselves. What do you think of that girls?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 04:16 pm
@Rockhead,
I never get indegestion Rocky. And I have a light breakfast. A sort of virginal bundling with food in order to make the consummation at dinner so much more enjoyable.

I'm an atheist don't forget. It's plain ridiculous. It's just making trouble doing end runs around the small print taking advantage of the legal professions eagerness to render us all paupers and the general solipsism which confuses its own interests with that of society. And Media going along because most of its staff have done some backsliding of one sort or another on the carefully worked out theology which has social, economic, military and strategic advantages over any other system yet devised by mankind. And also taking advantage of the historical pseudo-morphosis in the culture not yet being resisted enough to allow its implications to work to their logical conclusions.

Something else that is taken advantage of is the opposition to it being so delicate and coy and unprepared to fight dirty. Allowing all the ladies' magazine tripe about "love" and "happiness" and "life-long commitment" to pass by without giggling too much is at the simpler end of the range that might be deployed. Being an actor in your own plot. No ball and chain.
spendius

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 04:25 pm
@Kolyo,
Quote:
The fact is, though, that the Catholic Church should not be able to tell non-Catholics whether they can get a marriage license or not.

It is not doing. Only voters can do that. If the pulpit is used to persuade people nobody has to take any notice in the polling station.

The "marriages" in the handful of states that have legalised same-sex "marriage" are not recognised in the 40 odd states that have refused to do.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 04:28 pm
@spendius,
you must get a discount on 2 dollar words...
spendius

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 04:30 pm
@Rockhead,
Make the points more concisely Rocky and I'll think about trying harder.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 05:31 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
The "marriages" in the handful of states that have legalised same-sex "marriage" are not recognised in the 40 odd states that have refused to do.

But not for long. The young people will soon be the voters in the polling station and you know what FM's post said.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 05:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'm sure you'd like them.

I remember the rest of us laughing and giving her a hard time (those were the days).
spendius

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 05:49 pm
@Lola,
Quote:
But not for long. The young people will soon be the voters in the polling station and you know what FM's post said.

I don't take any notice of him Lola. I know where he's coming from.

And it's fm actually.
spendius

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 05:56 pm
@ossobuco,
Did you see ed's post on the Quotations thread osso.

Quote:
“The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.”
― Alfred Adler

As long as we don't know them very well they are all wonderful.

It's terribly patronising is Apisa's drivel. It insults the people he is talking about and it insults our intelligence. And grotesquely. In both cases.
aspvenom

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 06:08 pm
@spendius,
Oh that's your problem spendius. I challenge you to go out there and become friends with someone who is a homosexual. They won't bite, and once you make friends with them and get to really know them, you'll see that they're nice normal people like you and me. Really!
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2013 07:59 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
And it's fm actually

Yes, I see that. True. Thanks
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 07:44 am
@spendius,

Quote:
As long as we don't know them very well they are all wonderful.

It's terribly patronising is Apisa's drivel. It insults the people he is talking about and it insults our intelligence. And grotesquely. In both cases.

Ahhhh...I hope you feel better now, Spendius.

Since you are one of the A2K experts on patronizing drivel, I guess I'd better pay attention. Wink

JTT

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 09:34 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

Since you are one of the A2K experts on patronizing drivel, I guess I'd better pay attention.

You are an idiot, Frank, of monumental proportions. You come back with exactly what Spendius described of you and what's truly astonishing is you don't even realize it.

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 09:36 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5252680)
Quote:

Since you are one of the A2K experts on patronizing drivel, I guess I'd better pay attention.

You are an idiot, Frank, of monumental proportions. You come back with exactly what Spendius described of you and what's truly astonishing is you don't even realize it.

I'm surprised you didn't send me a Valentine's Day card today, JTT.

You do like calling people "idiot"...don't you.
JTT

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 09:44 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:

See what I mean, Frank, you don't even realize how dumb you are. You're a H20man cubed.

I don't like it at all, but the truth must be pointed up. You can't live in the lala land that you do.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 02:01 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5252779)
Quote:

See what I mean, Frank, you don't even realize how dumb you are. You're a H20man cubed.

No...I don't think so. And I think you don't think so either. You just seem unable to control your temper...and name-calling is almost always a result of that.

Quote:
I don't like it at all, but the truth must be pointed up.

Ahh, you do it so often, even you should be able to see through this pretend response of yours.

I think you like it a lot. I think it makes you feel better about yourself.

Keep doing it...I see no reason to stop you from making yourself feel better.

Quote:
You can't live in the lala land that you do.

I live right here in the United States...and for you to suggest that I cannot is so illogical I don't know how to respond.

Still waiting for the Valentine's card!
JTT

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2013 08:35 pm
@Frank Apisa,