What is an objective review of BUSH? Or can there be one?

Umbagog

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 04:29 pm
hobit, you do realize you just insulted yourself, don't you?

I see where this is going, and to continue to remain civil, I should probably let you play with your friend here, and find some better intellectual challenges.

Thanks for the insights H. Always appreciated they are.
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 04:35 pm
I never said I was a sweetheart. I call it like I see it. America NEEDS a nice big dose of HARSHNESS so that they might shake the fairy dust out of their eyes. Things are getting worse you know. How long can things spiral out of control before the whole thing really does bottom out? And being nice and civil is going to put a stop to all the many problems exactly how?

I love my country, and I am fiercely proud to be an American. I enjoy great freedoms and liberties, and it is absolutely horrifying to me to see so many of my fellow Americans so utterly oblivious to the destruction going on all around them. Sit back and do nothing, but don't complain when it all bites the dust, because all of you sitting around taking pride and good times for granted are the reason why everything is tanking.

I really wish you all would wake up now, not later. There is much work to be done to fix things, but if we are going to stay polarized and bogged down in details that solve nothing, well.....it's getting harder to remain perfectly civil.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 04:42 pm
Umbagog wrote:
Yup, husker is a political hack trying to blame all the wars on the democrats. It isn't true, not by a long shot.

Iraq is a quagmire as much as Vietnam was. Bush is doing EXACTLY what Johnson did....tried to win through incrementalism of the conflict so as to avoid political fallout at home. Bombs and more bombs, and a filtering in of more troops instead of an all out bombing campaign and massive frontal attack. Johnson, like Bush, was/is afraid people will turn against the war if it escalates too rapidly, but the only wars that get won are the massive victories early on. Bush should have kept bombing, and then poured troops into Iraq. Too late now. Bush is going to suffer the same fate as Johnson for trying to politicize war.

Husker claims to be objective, but he is as slanted as they get, if his first post here is any indication of his character. Allowing people their delusions is not wise, in any venue.

Lighten up man - I leave for a few minutes and you go on a rampage.
Be constructive, not destructive. Have you really read the posts - you will find that 1 - it's not my original work and 2 it's be discussed elsewhere where and had I really been aware of that I may not have started this topic, but I've been away for awhile. Really need to work on your persona.
Cheers!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 04:44 pm
deleted - system duplicate
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 04:45 pm
hobitbob wrote:
Umby, Husker has been here far longer than you, and is always polite and reasonable, unlike you STOP SCORING POINTS FOR THE FAR RIGHT!

Thanks for your kind words. Smile
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 04:48 pm
Husker, you may be a demented, delusional right wing sheep, but you are our demented delusional right wing sheep! Very Happy
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 05:03 pm
hobitbob wrote (to Umbagog):

Quote:
Any valid points you make are often invalidated by your very obstreperousness.

Whoa. Obsteperousness? I had to look that one up. In spite of the slight spelling error, I am more than a little awed by your vocabulary, hobitbob. A tip of the cap to you.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 05:38 pm
hobitbob did have it spelled correctly and I don't believe the calendars which give one a new word each day would misspell it either. Kidding! LOL

It's one thing to attack a country because one believes they can do some good and another to do it on the basis of a contrived fear that is foisted off on an unsuspecting public (which is the Mencken mantra of not underestimating the intelligence of the American public again). If establishing a quasi-democratic theocracy is curing the problem, we will only be able to judge by the ultimate outcome. Alas, only future history will tell the tale as characterized by historians who are, unfortunately, more likely adept at a biased editing of events. It is true that Eisenhower made the initial committment in Vietnam and Kennedy continued to provide Green Beret "advisors" for the South Vietnamese Army. Then the fear of the domino effect was sold to the American public by Johnson and Company but not any better than the reason for going into Iraq was sold. These politicians are lousy salespeople -- the number one criteria of good sales is to sell oneself. The Bushites now embarking on a political advertising campaign that looks more like the ad campaign for the Corvair. Bush's bum may be what ends up on fire.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 06:20 pm
Ah! The Corvair, now that was a sweet little car. Mine was a 62.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 06:55 pm
bm
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 07:06 pm
Oh, to be truly, truly wise, and know how and when to compromise:
BoGoWo.

and yes, Mr. Wizard. Eisenhower did commit us to VietNam...and he openly admitted that it was for Tungsten.

Watch out for the hobit. He's a Karate expert and his hands are lethal weapons.

Goodnight, from Florida.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 08:08 pm
SCoates, Would you care to expand on that? Very Happy
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 09:33 pm
Ah, yes, my "B" stood for "Book," and my "M" stood for "Mark." I guess the entirety of my point was "Bookmark," but you can read more into it if you like. Smile

Actually, I was just wanting to read everyone's opinions if it got heated, but it hasn't really.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 11:37 pm
Letty wrote:

Watch out for the hobit. He's a Karate expert and his hands are lethal weapons.

They Are? Shocked
Now I'm afraid to pick my nose! Oh the horror! Very Happy
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 08:11 am
Re: What is an objective review of BUSH? Or can there be one
husker wrote:
FDR led us into World War II. Germany never attacked us: Japan did.

We did declare war on you though, and we were formally allied with Japan. One might argue that this gave FDR a defensible case for "leading you into World War II", as you put it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 08:45 am
Hobit, I saw your picture in the gallery. What a stance!

Thomas, it was that Churchill fellow that convinced us to get into the fray. What a fabulous politician. U-boat warfare was another strong factor plus the Zimmerman note. Now, I'm doing all this from memory, so if you need it verified, look it up. Smile
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 09:13 am
Letty -- I'm working from memory too. If I remember correctly, "getting into the fray" meant no more than weapons deliveries at first. That doesn't change the fact that it was Germany which declared war on America right after Pearl Harbor, not the other way round. Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 09:20 am
The Zimmerman note refers to a telegraph sent by the Imperial Foreign ministry to their man in Mexico City. Ian Fleming (yes, the creator of James Bond) was working for the Royal Navy's signals intelligence service, and they were tapping the transatlantic cable. They passed the message along to Wilson's government, and that was used, along with American outrage over unrestricted submarine warfare, to get us into World War I.

Thomas is correct that the idiot Hitler declared war on the United States after the Japanese attack on Hawaii. It was monumentally stupid. The Japanese never allowed their alleged alliance with Germany to determine one iota of their policy. Given that Hitler started war in Europe, it was thereafter a very fortunate thing for the Allies that he was in charge--the man was militarily clueless, and habitually interferred, with disasterous results for Germany.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 09:30 am
oops, Setanta. Right on. Sorry. I'm always gettin them wars mixed up.

Hey..I'm gonna start verifying my data via fireside chats.

Thomas, I'm certain that you're correct.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 10:03 am
Okay. Gave in and got it straight.

http://www.thirdreichpages.org/declarationofwar.htm

Music, as propaganda, was a powerful tool in WWII.

The Ruben James

Have you heard of the ship called the good Ruben James
Manned by hard fighting men both of honor and fame
It flew the stars and strips of the land of the free
And tonights she's in her grave at the bottom of the sea.

What were their names, tell me what were their names
Did you have a friend on the good Ruben James.
What were their names, tell me what were their names
The men who went down on the good Ruben James.

It was there in the dark of that uncertain night
That they waited for the U-boat and waited for a fight;
Then a whine, and a rock and a great explosion roar
And they laid the Ruben James on the cold ocean floor.

Now tonight there are lights in our country so bright
In the farms and the cities they are telling of this fight.
And now our fighting battleships will steam the bounding main
And remember the name of the good Ruben James.

Woody Guthrie wrote it. A zillion people sang it.
0 Replies