are expected? expected what?

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 09:47 am

Context:

A young boy seems far from impressed as passengers wait to enter Beijing Railway Station on Tuesday. Even bigger crowds are expected over the next few days, as the Spring Festival travel rush gets into full swing. [ZOU HONG / CHINA DAILY]

Rail officials reported that unprecedented numbers of tickets are being returned by holiday passengers and suggested that more than 10 percent of the tickets bought could have been returned by the end of China's holiday travel rush this year.

More:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2013-02/06/content_16204851.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 666 • Replies: 5
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
tsarstepan
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 10:00 am
@oristarA,
Bigger crowds are expected to travel to their home via the train for their vacation from where they work in the up and coming days.

If memory serves me correctly, this yearly event has been called the largest mass migration of humans each and every year (if I understand what the article is describing). Or at least, that's how the filmmakers depicted the millions of Chinese vacationers in the Last Train Home documentary (2009) [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1512201/combined].
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 12:32 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:
A young boy seems far from impressed as passengers wait to enter Beijing Railway Station on Tuesday. Even bigger crowds are expected [to appear at the station] over the next few days, as the Spring Festival travel rush gets into full swing.

What is expected is implied by what has already been said.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Wed 6 Feb, 2013 06:15 pm
@oristarA,
Are expected = bigger crowds (passengers wait to enter Beijing Railway Station) over the next few days, than the crowds over the last few days...
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 12:02 am
Thank you all.
As I reread the thread just now, I understood immediately what it meant. And then I read your replies which supported very well my understanding. Very Happy
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2013 12:58 pm
@oristarA,

Quote:
Even bigger crowds are expected over the next few days,

I know you understand this now: I think you did not realise (at first) that it is in the passive.

Tom expects a present on his birthday. (active)
Bad weather is expected for tomorrow. (passive)

In grammar, this is known as the passive voice.
0 Replies