What? "in favor of a culture that resembled the British system he had sought to escape"?

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 10:08 am
The logic is a bit strange to me.
If one is in favor a system, why does one have to seek to escape from it?

Context:
In helping formerly disparate tribes to form themselves into united political entities, he was in fact helping to obliterate the culture that had initially attracted him to Arabia in favor of a culture that resembled the British system he had sought to escape.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 776 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
tsarstepan
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 10:13 am
@oristarA,
The person in question (like many people under the umbrella of sentimentality) isn't necessarily being rational.

There isn't enough context to exactly give an answer but I'd guess he had to leave whatever country (the initial British system) for another country similiar is cultural stature because though he might have disagreed with how the British system worked, he couldn't see himself adjusting properly to moving to an alien or completely different social/cultural/political setting.

On one hand, he hates much of the culture of British society but on the other hand, he can't see himself living in any other setting that might be too exotic, too foreign to his tastes and lifestyle.

Did he have to leave one political setting because of legal trouble? What was the reason he left one country for another?
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 10:16 am
Here's a similar meaning:
She refused the diamond necklace even though she loved it in favor of one that had emeralds, although she hated the green stones.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2013 04:40 pm

Lawrence or Glubb Pasha?

The arab culture was one of the things which had attracted them to the area ( a separate, tribal system) but they were organising (for military reasons) the tribes into larger groups, which came to resemble the British system.
(or at any rate, the British military system)

(I disagree, for what it's worth, but that's what your text means)
0 Replies