Bush-Cheney et al made 237 misleading Iraq threat statements

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 12:11 am
President Bush, VP Cheney, and Top Advisors Made over 200 Misleading Public Statements on Iraq Threat

A detailed report and accompanying searchable database released by Rep. Waxman identifies 237 specific misleading statements about the threat posed by Iraq made by President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Secretary Rumsfeld, Secretary Powell, and National Security Advisor Rice in 125 separate public appearances.

Iraq on the Record Report and Database

On March 19, 2003, U.S. forces began military operations in Iraq. Addressing the nation about the purpose of the war on the day the bombing began, President Bush stated: "The people of the United States and our friends and allies will not live at the mercy of an outlaw regime that threatens the peace with weapons of mass murder."

One year later, many doubts have been raised regarding the Administration's assertions about the threat posed by Iraq. Prior to the war in Iraq, the President and his advisors repeatedly claimed that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction that jeopardized the security of the United States. The failure to discover these weapons after the war has led to questions about whether the President and his advisors were candid in describing Iraq's threat.

The Iraq on the Record Report, prepared at the request of Rep. Henry A. Waxman, is a comprehensive examination of the statements made by the five Administration officials most responsible for providing public information and shaping public opinion on Iraq: President George W. Bush, Vice President Richard Cheney, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of State Colin Powell, and National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice.

This database identifies 237 specific misleading statements about the threat posed by Iraq made by these five officials in 125 public appearances in the time leading up to and after the commencement of hostilities in Iraq. The search options on the left can be used to find statements by any combination of speaker, subject, keyword, or date.

The Special Investigations Division compiled a database of statements about Iraq made by President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Secretary Rumsfeld, Secretary Powell, and National Security Advisor Rice. All of the statements in the database were drawn from speeches, press conferences and briefings, interviews, written statements, and testimony by the five officials.

This Iraq on the Record database contains statements made by the five officials that were misleading at the time they were made. The database does not include statements that appear in hindsight to be erroneous but were accurate reflections of the views of intelligence officials at the time they were made.

For more information, see the Full Iraq on the Record Methodology:
http://www.house.gov/reform/min/features/iraq_on_the_record/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 724 • Replies: 9
No top replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 01:46 am
Misleading= Lies
If any of you ever have a few minutes to spare go to your search engine and type in "The Office of Special Plans" and "PNAC". You will read the facts of Bushco and their Imperialism. These are their own words. Make up your own minds about what they say.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 02:09 am
Surely the phrase "misleading public statements" is a too kind description of BLATANT LIES? Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 02:11 am
Just 237 ?? I thought everytime they opened their mouth to speak abt Iraq, they lied - surely that is more than 237 times.....
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 02:15 am
Gautam wrote:
Just 237 ?? I thought everytime they opened their mouth to speak abt Iraq, they lied - surely that is more than 237 times.....

Very much what I intended to say.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 02:59 am
237 separate lies, sorry I mean misleading public statements, is a lot - especially considering how much they use repetition as a tool....I would have thought it would be closer to 8 big lies told thousands of times.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 04:06 am
Majority of American Public
The sheep are so used to lies that they just accept them now as a matter of course. They shrug and say oh well, politicians lie, so what, can't do nothin' bout it.

I believe that a Police State would be OK with most Americans. Most feel helpless to change the country. Around 50% don't even vote anymore, considering that it's a waste of time and energy.

Around 50% still approve of Bushco. That quite a few million people. I just shake my head in sadness. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 17 Mar, 2004 08:44 am
Bush Administration's The Office of Special Plans
Bush Administration's The Office of Special Plans:

http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/wot/iraq/office_of_special_plans.html

Thanks, Pistoff. Smile

---BBB
0 Replies

Heywood

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 03:00 pm
Absolutely fantastic websites. Presented well, organized and on point.

Thank you many times over. Exclamation
0 Replies

Umbagog

Reply Thu 18 Mar, 2004 06:31 pm
They still are.
0 Replies