Why I, and Others, Constantly Rail Against Religion

dlowan

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 05:57 pm
Getting any

tithes, Dwarfy?

That was lovely writing, by the way, is it yours?
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 06:12 pm
dlowan wrote:

Brooke - you are on a forum which is for information exchange, and DISCUSSION. If you post a belief here, it is going to be debated. You do not, indeed, HAVE to debate - but you are going to be miserable if you expect to be able to post on a general forum thread here and not have people challenge your beliefs, just as everyone else's are challenged.

It's not about having beliefs challenged, dlowan. Debates are not a bad thing. Having people disagree with your beliefs can actually be a good thing. What is a bad thing....is when someone immediately attacks your character because of your beliefs. Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 06:14 pm
The irony is that in saying that you can be said to have attacked the character of someone else. It's all just semantics.

It's impossible to dissent to beliefs without leaving some way for someone sensitive enough to construe it as an "attack" on one's "character".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 06:39 pm
IronLionZion wrote:
Given this, it is the hieght of assbackwardness and irony to turn around and claim that I am "close minded" and "ignorant," as Setanta and JBB have attempted.

Nonsense--when you suggest those who hold beliefs which differ from yours ought not to be allowed to reproduce, that is certainly evidence of a closed mind, in that you cannot accept the mere possibility of the propagation of a belief which you disdain. Your general air of callow, youthful conceit in such matters leaves you with your foot frequently well lodged in your mouth, accounting for the frequency with which people criticize what you write. Personally, i don't consider you ignorant in the sense of formal education, although, as is the case with me and everyone else, there is a great deal more to learn than you could absorb in a lifetime. It is my opinion, however, that as regards your understanding of and compassion for others, you are profoundly ignorant, which i would suggest goes with the "young and callow" territory.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 06:42 pm
In the past few months, I have done my best to keep the dwarf in the closet. Because it doesn't dream, it never gets any REM sleep and will stay in the closet for months at a time, trying to go back to sleep. I have chloroform handy, just in case.

The dwarf doesn't recieve tithes because she has strangled all the other dwarves in Denver.She is an atheist, but sometimes gets a twinge and has written well-thought-out last words in an effort to cover all the bases.

She is an unfortunate aspect of my relationship with Dys that will need years of therapy.

Any dwarves out there? Hmmm, Jerry Falwell just might be the trick.

Sorry ILZ, I'll go away right now.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 06:44 pm
very interesting Set, I know for meself that I often walk a very narrow path of sensetivity for others beliefs beside a condescending disregard for what I often think of as shallow thinking.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 06:50 pm
Yes, Dys, that is a constant conundrum. I try to judge of others on the basis of how articulate they are in expressing themselves--if they show obvious education and literacy, i suppose i "set the bar higher" in terms of what i expect from them. Obviously, my expectations are meaningless to the person concerned, unless they have a regard for my expressed opinions which would lead them to change. Although in my youth i would never have admitted it, age and experience have taught me that the young can often have, and often do have, the most rigid of beliefs, and are less likely to keep an open mind, despite their protestations against authority and established social norms in which they suggest that those against whom they rail are closed-minded. Without regard to closed or open minds, for many young people, the absence of a wide experience of people and life might mean that their views are narrow simply by default. Such a case is no predictor of whether they will be open to new ideas and stimuli. When i encounter those who appear to have had little experience of life, and whose demeanor and speech suggest a little or a poor education, i am often more tolerant of their "short-sightedness," as lacking the experiental referrants which one hopes will lead a person to a broader acceptance and toleration.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 07:58 pm
Setanta wrote:
Yes, Dys, that is a constant conundrum. I try to judge of others on the basis of how articulate they are in expressing themselves--if they show obvious education and literacy, i suppose i "set the bar higher" in terms of what i expect from them. Obviously, my expectations are meaningless to the person concerned, unless they have a regard for my expressed opinions which would lead them to change. Although in my youth i would never have admitted it, age and experience have taught me that the young can often have, and often do have, the most rigid of beliefs, and are less likely to keep an open mind, despite their protestations against authority and established social norms in which they suggest that those against whom they rail are closed-minded. Without regard to closed or open minds, for many young people, the absence of a wide experience of people and life might mean that their views are narrow simply by default. Such a case is no predictor of whether they will be open to new ideas and stimuli. When i encounter those who appear to have had little experience of life, and whose demeanor and speech suggest a little or a poor education, i am often more tolerant of their "short-sightedness," as lacking the experiental referrants which one hopes will lead a person to a broader acceptance and toleration.

ok Boss :wink:
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 12:44 am
dlowan wrote:
ILZ - did Bush really say that god instructed him to invade Iraq?

Apparently, he did.

...at least according to widely circulated quotations which originated in the Israeli newspaper Haaretz:

Quote:
According to Abbas, immediately thereafter Bush said: "God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them."

Source

The Washington Post - no doubt as surprised at Bush's tactless display of brainsickness as we are - investigated further. They found:

Quote:
Two calls to the White House for clarification went unreturned, but colleague Glenn Kessler did some digging. The Haaretz reporter, Arnon Regular, read what the paper said were minutes of the Palestinians' meeting to Kessler and another colleague, who is an Arabic speaker.

The Arabic-speaking colleague's translation, was this: "God inspired me to hit al Qaeda, and so I hit it. And I had the inspiration to hit Saddam, and so I hit him. Now I am determined to solve the Middle East problem if you help. Otherwise the elections will come and I will be wrapped up with them."

Source
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 01:04 am
justa_babbling_brooke wrote:
I will say this again ILZ.......maybe this time you will "get it". I believe in God .....I love God....and I don't care if you don't like that. That is of no importance to me. Nor do I have to debate you on that. I am just as free as you are to make a post anywhere on this forum that I chose to. I am just as free to say what I want to say without making it into a debate.

My beliefs do not hurt you. And I am not president Bush. If you have an issue with him....take it up with him. Not me.

You may not be the president - and thank Yahweh for that - but its largely your ilk that put him in office. Which, is, like, kinda the point, man.

Quote:
So.....deal with it, and get a grip. Smile

You will never rid the world of Christians. Just as Christians will never rid the world of athiests.

Your assumption that the world will never be rid of Christianity is a testament to your myopia. Christianity - like the countless religions that came before it and have come after it - will eventually fade into mythology, as growing numbers of people come to realize its sheer absurdity. In the industrialized (read: educated) parts of the world, organized religion holds less sway now than ever before. There is no reason to assume this trend will cease.

See: Zeus.

Quote:
We all live here together. There are many different colors of skin...many different beliefs. We are not all the same. You have a slight problem with dealing with people that do not share your thoughts. I suggest you work on that....and stop worrying about the Christians of this world. You would gain much more working on "your own" betterment. Smile

Please don't talk to me about close-mindedness....without first looking in your own closet ILZ. For I accept your right to your beliefs. That does not make you a bad person. That just means you think different then I do. You do not have all the answers about life. You are not always correct in everything you say....anymore than I am....or anyone else is.

*smiles* I am just "me" ILZ. I will make my own choices in life. And I will do it with my own mind. I will reason things out in my own fashion. Just as I hope you always do in life, also.

~Brooke

I was going to respond more comprehensively, but I've decided to let your post speak for itself, as you've chosen to extend this debacle in an act of intellectual cowardice so transparent that it should offend someone with even your phenomenal propensity for unsubstantiated claims.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 01:26 am
Setanta wrote:
IronLionZion wrote:
Given this, it is the hieght of assbackwardness and irony to turn around and claim that I am "close minded" and "ignorant," as Setanta and JBB have attempted.

Nonsense--when you suggest those who hold beliefs which differ from yours ought not to be allowed to reproduce, that is certainly evidence of a closed mind, in that you cannot accept the mere possibility of the propagation of a belief which you disdain.

Your general air of callow, youthful conceit in such matters leaves you with your foot frequently well lodged in your mouth, accounting for the frequency with which people criticize what you write.

Personally, i don't consider you ignorant in the sense of formal education, although, as is the case with me and everyone else, there is a great deal more to learn than you could absorb in a lifetime. It is my opinion, however, that as regards your understanding of and compassion for others, you are profoundly ignorant, which i would suggest goes with the "young and callow" territory.

Reach back, and pull the tightly bunched panties out of your crusted ass crack.

Christ, some of the people here are utterly incapable of distinguishing between half-assed jabs and serious convictions.

Obviously, I don't seriously propose that religious people not breed.

Edit: Although I don't entirely oppose it either....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 01:28 am
The specific text of your response speaks volumes about your maturity, and your hostility to those who dare to disagree with or criticize you.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 01:48 am
Setanta wrote:
The specific text of your response speaks volumes about your maturity, and your hostility to those who dare to disagree with or criticize you.

I was in the midst of writing a Pulitzer worthy response, when I paused, and realized that a crude but efficacious remark was more fitting, as I have no interest in engaging in extended pseudo-debate with you over the merits of my posting style.

I could have, for example, pointed out that a few pages ago you wrongly equated the word 'misandristic' with the word 'misanthropic' and further implied that the phrase 'misandristic patriarchy' was an oxymoran, which was also patently false. But I didn't. I ignored your imperfection, and rolled with the punches.

So, it seems assbackwards for you to accuse me of immaturity when you've been running around yanking at my pantlegs and making not-so-subtle insignifigant quips when I misspell a word (see: piller.) It also kinda blows a hole in your ability to pass grandiloquent judgements on others with any modicum of authority.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 07:49 am
Your conceit is showing again . . . as for misandristic/misanthropy: " Christ, some of the people here are utterly incapable of distinguishing between half-assed jabs and serious convictions." And yes, "misandristic patriarchy" has very much the flavor of oxymoron (you mispelled that), in that it stretches credulity to imagine a society ruled by the father (latin patres) which hates men. As for "running around yanking at your pantslegs," that is conceit again, i only take shots at you when you spew gross bs at others, and i happen to have stumbled across it. It is also the fallacy of the enumeration of favorable circumstances, in that you ignore every instance in which you have posted something that i have not commented upon. That arises from a growing conviction that you are posting fewer and fewer things worth reading, and this thread is a fine example thereof. You can write congently and to the point, but this entire concept is flawed. You didn't decide on a critique of organized religion, nor even a complaint, rather, you decided to "constantly rail against" it. Rather obsessive of you, is it not? You start such a thread, and then dump on those of a religious mind who show up here, which i suspect may have been your object. Altogether, a poor effort.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 08:02 am
How about a moment of levity folks:

Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that, as an observant Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance.

The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her menstrual period - Lev.15:19-24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan,

Jack
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 08:18 am
heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

all that smiting an' whatnot, the OT is a hoot . . .
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 05:42 pm
Setanta,

Calling ILZ obsessed and sensitive to criticism is hillarious. Are you as comfortable with being criticized for "obsessions" as you would have ILZ be?

What of your own obsession spewing out historical diatribes paraphrased from books on threads where they have little relevance? Or your self-proclaimed status as resident French expert where if anyone dares use a word of French you try to assert said title belligerently?

You have indeed been following ILZ around making wisecracks about him and quite frequently call him ignorant and the like. Picking on his spelling and youth.

You've been doing this for some time now, ever since you thought he was a Jew based on his username and found out you were wrong about that.

Here you call him ignorant, and pull your usual innane game where you disparage him as "callow" in your usual haughty sneer and then when he responds you disparage him, once again, for his objections to your insults.

So when others find you "dumping" on others from and "spewing gross bs" and then proceed to criticize you for it do you take it any better than ILZ would?

You make it plain that "callow" is not restricted to youth.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 07:55 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Setanta,

Calling ILZ obsessed and sensitive to criticism is hillarious. Are you as comfortable with being criticized for "obsessions" as you would have ILZ be?

I am criticized quite frequently, as well you know, and more often than not, by you. I have no reason to withdraw the characterization of ILZ getting nasty with those who have a different point of view, and consider this thread to be an example, virtually an ambush thread. And, you repeat the fallacy which ILZ voiced above--the enumeration of favorable circumstances. By taking notice of threads in which i have criticized him, and ignoring all of those in which there is no comment from me, you attempt to construct a contention that i'm "following him around." I read this thread for quite awhile without comment, until he came out with the "shouldn't be allowed to breed" comment. And i reacted specifically to that. I have participated in other threads of his, such as "age of my fellow A2Ker's," without finding anything which i would criticize--and so i didn't.

Quote:
What of your own obsession spewing out historical diatribes paraphrased from books on threads where they have little relevance? Or your self-proclaimed status as resident French expert where if anyone dares use a word of French you try to assert said title belligerently?

Diatribe is a freighted term. I have frequently added my perspective, and it should surprise no one that it is an historical perspective. That is a far cry from "spewing . . . diatribes." Your comment about paraphrased from books implies that you consider that none of what i express represents synthesis or original thought, a charge which you are of course free to make, but one which i rather doubt you can support. But that is of little import to me, as in most situations in which one cannot perform replicable experiments or do field research on available artifacts, organism, geological formations and the like, books are the source from which we glean information to make our own judgments. The relevance is open to the judgment and opinion of those who read, just as is anything which you write.

I've never made myself out to be an expert on french, and when i don't know what a word or expression means, i say as much. I have had parts of translations i made (considering it a courtesy to those who don't read French) corrected or criticized here, and haven't reacted with either hostility or petulance. I would be interested to know how you think it reasonable to suggest that i'm trying to belligerently assert any title--even were you to point to an example, unless you can demonstrate a pattern among all the posts in which that language has made a part, you've simply availed yourself again of the fallacy of the enumeration of favorable circumstances, adverting to one, or if you think you can so demonstrate, a few examples, and attempting to imply that they stand for the whole. Frankly, for whatever motivates your hostility, i suggest that you are expressing a resentment which is unfounded, and which you are not able to demonstrate.

Quote:
You have indeed been following ILZ around making wisecracks about him and quite frequently call him ignorant and the like. Picking on his spelling and youth.

In fact, i've surmised that ILZ is well educated and literate, as well as articulate and capable of cogent observation. And i've also stated that in my opinion he is ignorant of people, due to a lack of life experience, and therefore often fails to show compassion for other members here. The remark about not breeding, which he attempts to characterize as humor is the example which has sparked my response here. I had no doubt that he considered it humorous when first i read it. I also had no doubt, based on my experience of people and life, that it wounds nonetheless, those who are the object of his contempt, which had been expressed with sufficient force in this thread as to make the contention that the remark was harmless fun ridiculous. I have been hard on people when i thought them religious ranters--i have also written things which have wounded others, which was not my intent--and i apologized on an occasion when someone of religious conviction commented upon, and have made a sincere effort to mend my ways. Which is why the issue of maturity is in question to my mind. ILZ might simply have commented that he was attempting humor, and hadn't meant of injure anyone's feelings. Instead, he continues to make snide coments to JBB about what he surmises her belief leads her too, in this case an accusation: "You may not be the president - and thank Yahweh for that - but its largely your ilk that put him in office. Which, is, like, kinda the point, man." Hardly the kind of response which is likely to lead to more civilized discussion. JBB has been criticized for expecting to express her belief in a debate forum, and not have it debated. I did not comment on that, as i cannot object to the charge; comments about not breeding, about "you and your ilk," when JBB is unknown to us deserve comment themselves, and that is what i've done.

Quote:
You've been doing this for some time now, ever since you thought he was a Jew based on his username and found out you were wrong about that.

Once again, you are attempting to construct a pattern from an incident. In fact, the first post of ILZ's which i read was of a "some of my best friends are Arabs" character, and a subsequent post lead me to question whether he were Jewish with a prejudice against Arabs. He denied this, and i haven't brought it up again since then. Your assumption of why i raised that issue is based upon pure speculation on your part, which characterizes much of what you've written about me here.

Quote:
Here you call him ignorant, and pull your usual innane game where you disparage him as "callow" in your usual haughty sneer and then when he responds you disparage him, once again, for his objections to your insults.

In fact, it was the tenor and language of his response which i disdained. When ILZ so constantly parades his opinion of his own superior excellence, whether he contends it is humorous or not, and then descends in to a resonse such as: "Reach back, and pull the tightly bunched panties out of your crusted ass crack"--hardly matches your attempt to color the exchange as you have above. Anyone reading your post alone might assume that ILZ had been the soul of innocent reason, wantonly set upon by the vile Setanta. It is a completely specious characterization not only of the response, but of so many responses ILZ makes to other members here.

Quote:
So when others find you "dumping" on others from and "spewing gross bs" and then proceed to criticize you for it do you take it any better than ILZ would?

You may continue to contend that my reactions are over the top, and i will continue to deny as much. As i've already noted, suggesting that someone ought not breed because of their beliefs, while posting in a debate forum, is fair game for harsh criticism, given the harsh nature of such a remark as it affects those to whom it is directed, despite any appeal to alleged humor. Although your selective reading of my posts doesn't seem to have taken you to any examples, there are examples in these fora of my apologizing for my remarks, and i frankly don't measure my worth by your criticism, and repeat what i've said in the past. I don't see you react to others here who have been far nastier than i, and often for less cause than you contend is the case here.

Quote:

And you make it plain that it is something to which you are not immune either. Now, having launched, or should i write spew? your diatribe, don't forget to include your customary comment that rather than answering you, i have simply attacked you. That's your most common way of dealing with such situations.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 08:57 pm
Forgive me if my post on here has sent this thread into directions it wasn't meant to go.

I truely only wanted to make my own belief known. I did not mind ...nor will I ever mind someone wanting to debate my beliefs. I expected as much when I made that post.

If ILZ wanted to engage me in a debate he shut the door when his first post to me was telling me that I should not vote or have children. He does not know me....yet he has judged me simply on my beliefs. And that's ok. That is his choice. But it is also my choice to not want to get into a debate with someone of his mindset.

No one can say with absolute certainty how we were created. And someday I may find out I am wrong. But in the meantime....I have to follow what my heart and mind leads me to believe. I'm sorry if that offends you ILZ.

I may not agree with his beliefs....but I totally respect them. I respect them because they are "his." And he is a human being, the same as I am.
And has the same rights I do. And even though I may not agree with him....that does not make his beliefs any less important than mine.

That's all I have to say in this thread. End of convo for me Smile

~Brooke
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 09:19 pm
Setanta wrote:
I am criticized quite frequently, as well you know, and more often than not, by you.

I protest. I think the sum of all other criticisms is at least equal to my own.

Quote:
I have no reason to withdraw the characterization of ILZ getting nasty with those who have a different point of view......

I've said as much to him myself. Heck he said as much to me himself. It's the only thing about him that I can find fault in so in this I agree.

Quote:
And, you repeat the fallacy which ILZ voiced above--the enumeration of favorable circumstances. By taking notice of threads in which i have criticized him, and ignoring all of those in which there is no comment from me, you attempt to construct a contention that i'm "following him around."

This is true, but does not detract from the point.

Think about it in the first statement you made, does the fact that I have no wualm with your posts the overwhelming majority of the time bunt the times in which I do?

Quote:
I read this thread for quite awhile without comment, until he came out with the "shouldn't be allowed to breed" comment. And i reacted specifically to that.

In moments of frivolity I can think of many who shouldn't be allowed to breed. Women for example.

Quote:
Diatribe is a freighted term. I have frequently added my perspective, and it should surprise no one that it is an historical perspective. That is a far cry from "spewing . . . diatribes."

Characterizations of this sort "spewing BS", "screeds", and "diatribes" are quite frequently used to lend negative connotation to "adding one's perspective).

I suppose ILZ might also object to having his "sharing of perspective" descibed, by you, in similar terms.

Quote:
Your comment about paraphrased from books implies that you consider that none of what i express represents synthesis or original thought, a charge which you are of course free to make, but one which i rather doubt you can support.

History by it's nature is book knowledge. This is no slight.

Quote:
I've never made myself out to be an expert on french, and when i don't know what a word or expression means, i say as much.

Indeed, I've witnessed this once, in a thread by Oristar.

Quote:
I have had parts of translations i made (considering it a courtesy to those who don't read French) corrected or criticized here, and haven't reacted with either hostility or petulance.

Fair enough, I suspect this is a perception that differs based on which end one is on.

Quote:
Frankly, for whatever motivates your hostility, i suggest that you are expressing a resentment which is unfounded, and which you are not able to demonstrate.

Setanta, were I to take a page from your books I'd call this a "courtesy" and claim I "haven't reacted with either hostility or petulance".

Quote:
And i've also stated that in my opinion he is ignorant of people, due to a lack of life experience, and therefore often fails to show compassion for other members here.

This has an irony that I'll savor, and that by pointing it out creates a subsequent irony that you too can savor.

Quote:
I also had no doubt, based on my experience of people and life, that it wounds nonetheless, those who are the object of his contempt,

I see. So you proceed to attempt to wound with contempt?

Quote:
Instead, he continues to make snide coments to JBB about what he surmises her belief leads her too, in this case an accusation: "You may not be the president - and thank Yahweh for that - but its largely your ilk that put him in office. Which, is, like, kinda the point, man."

I'll defens that statement if you'd like. It has an important point.

It is, indeed, people such as her who keep people such as Bush in business.

ILZ was responding to a claim that she was not Bush and ILZ was saying that those of the religious persuasion tend to help grant Bush the position he now holds.

Quote:
Hardly the kind of response which is likely to lead to more civilized discussion.

Setanta, are you saying your attempts herein are intended to "lead to more civilized discussion"?

That, is funny.

Quote:
JBB has been criticized for expecting to express her belief in a debate forum, and not have it debated. I did not comment on that, as i cannot object to the charge; comments about not breeding, about "you and your ilk," when JBB is unknown to us deserve comment themselves, and that is what i've done.

Setanta, "ilk" is not a pejorative.

Quote:
Quote:

Once again, you are attempting to construct a pattern from an incident. In fact, the first post of ILZ's which i read was of a "some of my best friends are Arabs" character, and a subsequent post lead me to question whether he were Jewish with a prejudice against Arabs.

No, not based on one incident but many.

Quote:
He denied this, and i haven't brought it up again since then. Your assumption of why i raised that issue is based upon pure speculation on your part, which characterizes much of what you've written about me here.

Bullshit. You very clearly inferred that he was prejudiced against Arabs because you thought he was a Jew. Which is exactly what I am talking about and no "speculation" is in play. I reference your words.

Quote:
In fact, it was the tenor and language of his response which i disdained. When ILZ so constantly parades his opinion of his own superior excellence.....

Again, an irony coming from you Setanta. And again a subsequent irony when I point it out.

Quote:
Anyone reading your post alone might assume that ILZ had been the soul of innocent reason, wantonly set upon by the vile Setanta.

While funny I doubt it, but "set upon by Setanta" is accurate. As would be the description that I've chosen to "set upon" you due to your "dumping" on him.

Quote:
It is a completely specious characterization not only of the response, but of so many responses ILZ makes to other members here.

You are trying to deflect criticism of your own words by continuing to criticize his.

No, it is not a "completely specious characterization". You are indeed insulting him frequently.

Quote:
As i've already noted, suggesting that someone ought not breed because of their beliefs, while posting in a debate forum, is fair game for harsh criticism,

And so is your insults. Fair game for criticism.

Quote:
I don't see you react to others here who have been far nastier than i, and often for less cause than you contend is the case here.

I have more respect for you than for the "nastier" ones.

Quote:
Quote:

And you make it plain that it is something to which you are not immune either.

Amen, that bears remembering.

Quote:
Now, having launched, or should i write spew? your diatribe, don't forget to include your customary comment that rather than answering you, i have simply attacked you.

1) it should be spewn
2) What customary comment? Please provide quotes. I suspect you are talking about incidents in which you start saying things like "f__k you" to me and other vulgarities, yes when you resort to such levels I usually do dismiss it as vulgarity. But no, you will not find me complaining much of you "attacking" me and you will be unable to support this your claim and will have even less ability to demonstrate that it's my "most common" way of responding to you.
0 Replies