Ban on incandescent bulbs...

Foofie

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 10:42 am
Realizing that the days of buying new 60 Watt and 100 Watt incandescent bulbs are ended, I wonder whether I should acquiesce to buy the replacement fluorescents (that have mercury in them), or opt for the more expensive LCD (or are they LED?) bulbs? Plus, if these newer bulbs last, as long as they are supposed to last, then I wonder if they will be rusted into their screw-in receptacle when they would be replaced?

Is anyone waiting to see if the government will have a change of law in the not too distant future, or is that only wishful thinking?

Are the lighting equivalents truly equal, based on lumens emitted, or is the light different, and perhaps a little annoying?

Life was simpler in the 20th century (in my opinion).

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,494 • Replies: 9
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 01:25 pm
@Foofie,
1.Value
2.Product safety
3.Quality of Light

Pick 2
0 Replies

saab

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 03:09 pm
@Foofie,
Taking in consideration that those bulbs with mercury in them last up to 6 years - much longer than the old ones - you can figure out how much more expensive they are going to be.

There are not yet - refering to Sweden and Germany probably other EU countries no special containers to get rid of them - so they are thrown out in glass containers, normal containers or what ever.
Friends in Germany told me they can get rid of the bulbs every half year at some special pick up truck.

I had one supposedly to last for 6 years and it brooke after a few weeks.
The new one I put in gave a kind of whistling sound. Called the electrician who right away told me not to use it as it already was broken. Good that I have good hearing.
Let us get rid of these dangerous bulbs. Just another one of the EU not thought through laws.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 03:11 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Realizing that the days of buying new 60 Watt and 100 Watt incandescent bulbs are ended,
My guess, they'll still be around for a good while. In some countries, however,

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=incandescent+forbidden&oq=incandescent+forbidden&gs_l=hp.1.0.0i30j0i8i30.492.492.11.2727.1.1.0.0.0.0.99.99.1.1.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.xb8CtObMXzU&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41642243,d.cGE&fp=a9017c0373b80654&biw=1398&bih=781

Quote:
I wonder whether I should acquiesce to buy the replacement fluorescents (that have mercury in them),
I'd always considered them an environmental nightmare though those to The Right might disagree, comparing the effect of mercury to other environmental degradation, overpopulation, a second looming nuclear war

Quote:
…..or opt for the more expensive LCD (or are they LED?) bulbs?
Don't know, but as an environmental fanatic myself I've nonetheless long resented having to save up, clumsily store, that batch of burntout fluorescents

In this connection let's hear from somebody who knows (I'm not even sure whether semiconducting bulbs are available in fluorescent anatomy) but in the meantime, Foof, you might consult Google on the matter and report back

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&gs_mss=is%20lcd%20a%20semniconductor&pq=is%20lcd%20a%20semniconductor&cp=12&gs_id=dp&xhr=t&q=is+lcd+a+semiconductor&es_nrs=true&pf=p&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&oq=is+lcd+a+semiconductor&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41642243,d.cGE&fp=a9017c0373b80654&biw=1398&bih=781&bs=1

Quote:
…….I wonder if they will be rusted into their screw-in receptacle…..
I gather Foof from this q that you're intending to replace fluorescents with screw-in LED's or LCD's

A quick Googling wasn't successful, not even sure if there's a choice between the two kinds, but maybe you're more patient than I. Help, somebody

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=hp&gs_mss=replace%20fluorescent%20w&pq=is%20lcd%20a%20semiconductor&cp=35&gs_id=hy&xhr=t&q=replace%20fluorescent%20with%20LED%20or%20LCD&es_nrs=true&pf=p&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&oq=replace+fluorescent+with+LED+or+LCD&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41642243,d.cGE&fp=a9017c0373b80654&biw=1398&bih=781

Quote:
…….or is that only wishful thinking?
Suppose it depends on what you're wishing

Quote:
Are the lighting equivalents truly equal, based on lumens emitted, or is the light different, and perhaps a little annoying?
I've read yes, different, annoying, harsh

Quote:
rusted into their screw-in receptacle when they would be replaced?
If situated outside I'd suppose so. However you can bet their touted "life" is the very max, that a large part if not most will fail long before that target

The LCD TV screen apparently contains meercury too

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=led+or+lcd+have+mercury&oq=LED+or+LCD+contain+mercury&gs_l=hp.1.0.33i29.220877.228892.17.235532.26.25.0.1.1.0.525.4490.1j21j0j2j0j1.25.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.maJwNE7Nm3U&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41642243,d.cGE&fp=a9017c0373b80654&biw=1398&bih=781

…..though I'm not sure about other embodiments

Quote:
Life was simpler in the 20th century (in my opinion).
Much
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 03:32 pm
@Foofie,
When we moved into the new home there was a lot of recess lighting throughout the house. We spent a lot of money replacing all the lights with the new LED bulbs, the bulbs last for years and use very little electricity but the one reason we got them is they don’t get hot!

We had the regular bulbs in the kitchen of the old house, also recessed lighting. It sure got hot while cooking and having those lights on over your head. We don’t have that problem now.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 03:51 pm
I use led par s in my light show. You can run 60 of them on one 15 amp breaker and they never get hot. they also last 50 to 100K hours. They're the ****, and a bargain even though the original out of pocket is higher than old style.
farmerman

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 04:58 pm
@blueveinedthrobber,
museums are switching to these LED spots for their collection that try to show some dramatic light on a sample of something, or a dead something, or a carved something. LEDs can spotlight the sample and leave the surrounds totally black. Very cool, very cheap to run, very xpensive to set up
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2013 09:56 pm
@jcboy,
Aha! An actual, experienced user.

Does the light disperse in the same way as an incandescent or CF, or do they tend to act like spot or floodlights? Seen in stores, it looks like they would do the latter, and I'm not about to make the investment to get two puddles of light from the overhead fixture.
jcboy

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 01:32 pm
@roger,
Roger this is the best lighting ever! They will disperse in the same way as an incandescent light, perhaps even more so. I have all of mine on dimmer switches.

I may switch out the bulbs in the kitchen, they’re very bright! I have some in the den with more of a yellow glow, was going to see how they would look in the kitchen.
roger

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2013 01:48 pm
@jcboy,
Fantastic, and thank you very much.
0 Replies